PDA

View Full Version : o.O I didn't have second gear this morning

Sarra
03-29-2007, 11:45 PM
This morning, I started my car, let it idle for a few minutes since it was actually pretty cold, hopped in it, backed out of my driveway, and started driving. First gear was fine, but when I put it in second gear, it went "Thump thump thump thump" and it... Really didn't do anything.

I boggled, put it in third, drove it a little (I live on a road that's 25 mph), and got on the main road, and went all the way up to 60, running through 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, with no problems. Still thumped in second, but at least it accelerated (sorta).

I avoided using second gear until about 6 hours later, after work. Second gear was okay, but I could feel some odd pulsing through the shifter.

WTF happened? Why would second gear magically stop... well, existing, then work again? I'm going to check the slave cylinder and a few other things, but that really has me freaked out.

d1giPhux
03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
I just posted up a thread too about clutch problems.. ugh.. must be that time of season or something! :roll:

backpack09
03-30-2007, 09:23 AM
First step should be to bleed the clutch and change your trans. fluid. And see if that makes any difference.

While draining your trans. watch for metal flakes. A bit of "gold" look to the fluid is ok as that is just your syncros wearing. Anything that you can actually feel between your fingers is bad...

Wiscon_Mark
03-30-2007, 09:52 AM
How persistently did you try to get it into 2nd? I've had this happen once, and it turns out that I just didn't get it all the way in (1st to 2nd is a long throw, and sometimes you feel like you have it all the way in, but don't).

Sarra
03-31-2007, 12:09 AM
No, it went in all the way... It felt like I was driving over something evenly spaced in the road, except it came from the transmission. You know, when they put little strips down in the road, you can hear/feel it hitting the front tires first, and the rear tires last? It wasn't doing that.

It was fine all of today, though. I haven't had a chance to do anything yet, but it's just fine. =\

I did notice that I get an annoying squeek whenever the clutch is engaged. If you touch the pedal at all, the sound goes away.

ah_alex_
04-02-2007, 10:59 AM
No, it went in all the way... It felt like I was driving over something evenly spaced in the road, except it came from the transmission. You know, when they put little strips down in the road, you can hear/feel it hitting the front tires first, and the rear tires last? It wasn't doing that.
maybe you lost a tooth on your second gear? I had the same problem with my old Toyota Celica in reverse. I never had it checked out or fixed because i noticed the prob when i was selling it.

d1giPhux
04-02-2007, 11:36 AM
If you bleed your clutch... i hope you have better luck than me! :lol:

Sarra
04-02-2007, 09:11 PM
maybe you lost a tooth on your second gear? I had the same problem with my old Toyota Celica in reverse. I never had it checked out or fixed because i noticed the prob when i was selling it.

I'm thinking it's either a missing tooth or a nicked tooth.

It's been "thump thump thump"ing in second gear still, but only when it's really cold.

If you have those little rubber strips they put down in school zones or similar, it's like hitting one of those, and the frequency increases with the speed, but not the volume. I know it's not something on the road, and it only does it in second gear...

Blah, I still think I should use this as an opportunity to get a PPG gearset. :p

jey
04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
I did notice that I get an annoying squeek whenever the clutch is engaged. If you touch the pedal at all, the sound goes away.

That's a problem with the adjustment of the clutch pedal, from what I read in many other forums. I found that even after I got the clutch replaced, the clutch would make a little squeaking sound when halfway pushed down - had to do with the throwout bearing or something (I forget, it was a while ago.) My understanding was that it's normal, but if it's happening when the clutch is fully engaged, it needs adjusting.

Sarra
04-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I've decided that the stock gearbox in my car is going to get replaced with another gearbox that includes an extra gear, next chance I get. :-)