PDA

View Full Version : KYB GR2 and Lowering spring problem (HELP QUICK)

importtund
03-31-2007, 05:00 PM
:shock: Is there anything else to buy when installing this setup, the intrex springs drop the car 1.5" and my brother inlaw who is installing them is telling me that they wont work because the struts are stock length and the springs are shorter, that the springs wont seat in the coil isolator?! Never knew This would be a problem.... any suggestions?! :roll: I'm in Iraq so I can't do anything?!?!? F*C*

Plays_with_Toys
03-31-2007, 05:15 PM
My eibachs don't quite seat up all the way into the spring retainer under full stretch. Mr Choung had them installed on his car like this before I bought his set, and didn't have a problem as far as I know.

importtund
03-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Why don't they seat all the way, both parts are made for our car so what's the problem??? and how much do the eibach lower spring drop it?

Plays_with_Toys
03-31-2007, 06:40 PM
about 1.5". The reason they aren't long enough is probably just tolerancing issues at the spring manufacturer. And also they might have needed the spring to be shorter to achieve the correct drop and ride quality. I'm not all too sure.

Reason
03-31-2007, 08:36 PM
KYB GR2 struts and H&R springs fit no problem. What doesn't fit?

redlegacygt
03-31-2007, 09:42 PM
KYB GR2 struts and H&R springs fit no problem. What doesn't fit?

thank goodness, cause thats what i just got... as for these not fitting, im not sure.. im almost positive that someone said another type doesnt fit without modificaiton, maybe pinks? i could be wrong though...

Reason
03-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Why don't they seat all the way, both parts are made for our car so what's the problem??? and how much do the eibach lower spring drop it?

What do you mean? Do you have the right parts??

Wiscon_Mark
03-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Don't buy Intrax springs, is my suggestion...

You're going to blow your stock struts on that much lowering anyways, I would upgrade to GR-2s while your at it.

Reason
03-31-2007, 10:55 PM

You're going to blow your stock struts on that much lowering anyways, I would upgrade to GR-2s while your at it.

Yea I should have pointed that out too. Intrax springs blow. They sag like grandmas tities. My friend had 2 sets, first he paid for the 2nd they sent to him. Both sag in a month or 2.

redlegacygt
03-31-2007, 11:37 PM

i think he's putting these springs on GR-2's, hence the title (KYB GR2 and lowering spring problem) :wink:

scottzg
04-01-2007, 03:30 AM
intrax springs are specially designed to suit the tooner who doesnt have a clue what he's doing to his car.

strat81
04-01-2007, 04:19 PM
gr2's are not warrantied for anything over a 1.5" drop...

as for sagging... ALL springs will sag. they are made of metal and over time metal will fatigue. some just fatigue faster than others.

now... they probably aren't seating when fully extended because the drop springs are shorter than the factory springs and the struts are the same shaft length as the factory parts (otherwise you wouldn't be able to run the gr2's on anything but lowering springs) the reason for this is because the manufacturer can only lower your car one of two ways... shorter spring with a stiffer spring rate or stock length spring with softer spring rate. the first option drops the car and allows for better performance in the twisties. the second option also drops the car but means that the springs are going to give and allow the car to roll more than it would with the factory springs.

now, if you mean that the spring diameter is too small to fit down onto the perch, then that is a whole different story and you probably have the wrong parts...

once weight is put on the setup, it'll seat fine. (assuming it's a length related issue) my cavalier does the same thing with my koni yellow/goldline setup and i've been dropped like that for almost 3 years now.

scottzg
04-02-2007, 02:09 AM
the reason for this is because the manufacturer can only lower your car one of two ways... shorter spring with a stiffer spring rate or stock length spring with softer spring rate. the first option drops the car and allows for better performance in the twisties. the second option also drops the car but means that the springs are going to give and allow the car to roll more than it would with the factory springs.

or they make a progressive spring with dead coils that effectively limit the travel of the strut...

i was following a civic on bear crk road last year that lifted mid-corner, had the spring unseat and wedge itself against the tire. No real harm done after we took the wheel off and reseated the spring, but still not very cool.

AussieDan
04-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Most lowering springs designed for use with regular shocks are designed with a progressive spring rate. The upper coils will be spaced very far apart to make the free length long enough that there is enough preload at full extension to stop the spring popping out. These coils are soft and compress under the weight of the car to achieve the lowered stance. The rest of the coils actually do the suspending, and are stiffer than stock to deal with the fact that you've lost the same amount of bump travel as you've lowered the car.

I would be very hesitant about running a spring that doesn't stay in place firmly when the shock is at full extension, for a few reasons.

1. Sooner or later it's gonna pop out. You may be lucky and not have any damage, or it might cause you to lose control of the car, and possibly your life.

2. Your tophats will more than likely rotate and screw up the way the spring sits, which can lead to reason 1

The suspension and brakes are the parts of your car that keep you in control and safe, make sure they're done right.

strat81
04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
what kind of driving do you do that fully extends your struts?

i've autocrossed my cavi lifting the inner rear tire in multiple corners (gotta love torsion beam rears) and never had the spring unseat itself.

normal street driving you'd be hard pressed to get the car to lift a tire enough to un-seat a spring... IMO...

Wiscon_Mark
04-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Spence, you're probably right...but that would still make me wary about driving...

strat81
04-02-2007, 08:04 PM
to each his own i guess...

LunchBox04V
04-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Question on the AGX's. What springs, top hats, top mounts, etc., would you need to get them on a '99 Wagon (BK)? I know a guy did an '04 STi spring set on his sedan, but what about the wagon. Also a little detail would be cool. I have heard many different answers, mayby this should be a sticky??.......Thanks again.

Huffer
04-03-2007, 12:10 AM
You should have posted in an AGX thread. This one is about the GR-2s.
If discussion continues about the AGX struts, I will split this thread.

scottzg
04-03-2007, 01:09 AM

i've autocrossed my cavi lifting the inner rear tire in multiple corners (gotta love torsion beam rears) and never had the spring unseat itself.

normal street driving you'd be hard pressed to get the car to lift a tire enough to un-seat a spring... IMO...
i was following a civic on bear crk road last year that lifted mid-corner, had the spring unseat and wedge itself against the tire. No real harm done after we took the wheel off and reseated the spring, but still not very cool.

:wink:

strat81
04-03-2007, 07:42 AM

:wink: :wink:

scottzg
04-04-2007, 12:38 AM

hope your luck holds

JMoney
04-04-2007, 04:26 AM
My setup fits well with Eibach springs under new Gr2's. :-?

Plays_with_Toys
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
My setup fits well with Eibach springs under new Gr2's. :-?

Even the rear springs? If the shock is fully extended, you can pop the spring out sideways on mine just a little. I'll take some pictures this weekend.

strat81
04-04-2007, 01:16 PM

hope your luck holds

3 years of driving the car hard and no problems what so ever... i'm not worried about it.

importtund
04-07-2007, 02:14 PM
it appears as though the company on ebay set me springs for a 91-99 "turbo" Legacy which mine is not turbo. They wont take them back since they say that's what I ordered.. but would it really matter aren't they the same chassis? even when the shock is fully compressed the spring wont seat, it's just to short! So does anyone want a brand new set of Intrax lowering spring for their legacy? 1.5" drop. Pm me if you want more info or pics... pics are same as what is seen on ebay page... just in box and closer up...

Here's what they gave me... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Intrax-D ... enameZWD1V (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Intrax-Drop-Springs-Subaru-Legacy-Turbo-AWD-91-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ014QQitemZ330089702062QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V)

Reason
04-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Looks like you got burnt, If I were you I make a bif stink about it.

Wiscon_Mark
04-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah, it's the same spring...but if that's really not what you ordered, demand your money back.

backpack09
04-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Paypal dispute, and if that doesn't work, file with you CC company you'll get your money back.