PDA

View Full Version : how to bleed clutch fluid?

d1giPhux
03-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Okay.. so i got some dot 3 brake fluid so that i can flush my clutch fluid from the car.. but now, how do i go about bleeding it. I need to figure this out quick.. because im a moron, and apparently started doing something wrong.. and now my pedal is DEAD to the floor of the car. What i did.. i dont know. But someone walk me through this so i can fix this beast before the sun goes down! Thanks!

backpack09
03-31-2007, 06:41 PM
And for bleeding, crack the bleeder loose. Put a piece of hose off nipple into a bucket. Fill the reservoir. Pump the clutch pedal 5 times. Refill reservoir. Repeat untill the fluid going into your bucket is clean. Tighten the bleeder, top off the reservoir and your done.... literally a 30 minute job, total.

The bleeder you need to loosen is on the top of the bell housing just below your throttle body.

And you are going to need to pull the pedal back up between pumps...

d1giPhux
03-31-2007, 06:55 PM
And for bleeding, crack the bleeder loose. Put a piece of hose off nipple into a bucket. Fill the reservoir. Pump the clutch pedal 5 times. Refill reservoir. Repeat untill the fluid going into your bucket is clean. Tighten the bleeder, top off the reservoir and your done.... literally a 30 minute job, total.

The bleeder you need to loosen is on the top of the bell housing just below your throttle body.

And you are going to need to pull the pedal back up between pumps...

its on the slave cylinder correct? I kept trying to bleed it.. and i think ive fucked it up now. no matter how much i pump it, pull it up.. etc.. still the pedal is stuck to the floor. I just cant not seem to get it to move any liquid through it.. getting wicked pissed her.. cause now i have no car!

basically what i have been doing is using a 1 way brake bleeder line.. opening the line while the pedal is down. closing the line just to make sure, then pulling the pedal up.. then pushing the pedal down, opening the line.. and so on. i just CAN NOT seem to get any liquid to move through it. Is there ay sort of cheap bleeding pump or some shit i can use to suck liquid through it.. because this is getting wicked annoying =[

StatGSR
03-31-2007, 07:11 PM
u need the bleed screw to be open when u push down on the pedel.. and closed when u pull it up. and make sure to keep a good eye on your fluid levels...

d1giPhux
03-31-2007, 07:43 PM
I still cant get fluid to move past a certain point. Does it really matter to close / open the valve with a 1 way bleeding hose / valve thing?

Also.. i swear that even when the nipple is all the way closed.. liquid keeps going back into it...

man, i wish i never tried this, its just causing WAY more trouble for me then i thought =[

d1giPhux
03-31-2007, 08:13 PM
anyone have any idea why no liquid is coming out? i mean.. before there was a bit.. but now.. nothing. i dont even this this is doing anything. everytime i press the clutch pedal to the floor.. go back, open the line.. close it. pull the pedal up.. i feel no difference. Is there a quicker way to bleed this.. or am i going to have to do this about 8000000000 times just to get the damn air out. :cry:
'
everytime i pull the pedal up.. doesnt seem like its even taking any liquid from the master either.. i must seriously be doing something wrong? wtf!?!?

warrior
03-31-2007, 11:18 PM
It would help a lot if you had someone with you.. this way you can see exactly why there isn't any fluid coming out.

In your previous thread, we told you to check the slave cylinder. If that is broken, that could be why you're not getting any fluid out.

d1giPhux
03-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Yea, i should have never tried to bleed it.. it was working, until i did that. fun fun. I wonder if using one of those hand pump 'vaccume' bleeding systems would at least get it working again so i could drive it to the shop and have them fix it. Because right now... no liquid is coming out.. this really sucks. =[

I'm using a 1 way check valve.. and yea, no matter how many times i pump the clutch pedal... nothing happens. I hear a bit of air escape.. but other than that.. the pedal has not gotten anymore firm, and the master reservoir has not gone down in the amout of brake fluid its holding. I dont know what to do. I mean, even if i could bring it to the shop.. how the hell are they going to get it in the garage?

warrior
03-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Ok, try this.

Remove the line that goes from the clutch reservoir to the slave cylinder. Remove it ONLY AT the slave cylinder. Then pump the clutch, IF fluid comes out from that line before it enters the slave, you know the problem lies within your slave cylinder.

Don't worry, you can't screw things up more by taking this line off.

d1giPhux
03-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Ok, try this.

Remove the line that goes from the clutch reservoir to the slave cylinder. Remove it ONLY AT the slave cylinder. Then pump the clutch, IF fluid comes out from that line before it enters the slave, you know the problem lies within your slave cylinder.

Don't worry, you can't screw things up more by taking this line off.

When you say pump the clutch.. you mean just push it in right? because as of right now.. there is no pumping involved.. it just goes straight to the floor.. and yea. I will try that tommorow. If thats is indeed the case.. im not sure what i will do. What would help get it operational at least to drive to the stealership for them to fix it?

also.. what does this line look like.. is it solid.. or a more flexible like tube? I will have a look at it tommorow.. anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rougeben83
04-01-2007, 01:19 AM
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491

warrior
04-01-2007, 09:32 AM
When you say pump the clutch.. you mean just push it in right? because as of right now.. there is no pumping involved.. it just goes straight to the floor.. and yea. I will try that tommorow. If thats is indeed the case.. im not sure what i will do. What would help get it operational at least to drive to the stealership for them to fix it?

also.. what does this line look like.. is it solid.. or a more flexible like tube? I will have a look at it tommorow.. anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pumping meaning grab the clutch and pull it up, push it down, not once or twice.. like 5+ times.

The line I was referring to was the banjo bolt I labeled in the pictures. If you remove that bolt, stick it in pop can and pump the clutch and fluid comes out.. you know there's a problem within your slave cylinder where it won't let fluid pump through it and out the bleeder. This eliminates your problem as to why no fluid is coming out.

If fluid still doesn't come out with the line detached.. then there's a problem with the line somewhere. There's probably a whole 2' of line, about 1' of rubber hose from the slave to the firewall (as stated in the pictures) then a hard line along the firewall to the reservoir.

While you're replacing the slave cylinder, you might as well replace the rubber clutch line with a stainless steel one, or a new rubber one. This will make the 'feel' of your clutch a lot smoother.

Here, I took some pics last night.

http://jay-d.com/images/marv/slavecyl1.jpg

http://jay-d.com/images/marv/slavecyl2.jpg

http://jay-d.com/images/marv/slavecyl3.jpg

http://jay-d.com/images/marv/slavecyl4.jpg

d1giPhux
04-01-2007, 09:53 AM
thanks for the pics. I think what im going to do today is get a vaccume hand bleeder system thing.. and try to see if i can get liquid out that way. If that doesnt work, i will take the line off with the banjo bolt and see if any liquid is coming out at all.

I did pump the clutch pedal about 500 times as well.. nothing.. up and down and up and down and up and down.. yea, thats what i spent the majority of 6 hours doing. I did it so much.. i like dont even want to touch it now.. but i need it fixed before tommorow! =[

Hopefully this vaccume bleeder pump thing will save my ass.. but i have a feeling it wont really make a difference, and be a waste of $30. When i press the clutch down / pull it back up.. the slave cylinder end rod or whatever moves in/ out a little bit.. so i dont know if its completely broken yet.

Anyone else have any more ideas as to how i can draw liquid through the slave cylinder? How could i test to see if the nipple is letting air back in even when tightened down? Will it make it any worse by pulling the banjo bolt line off?

d1giPhux
04-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Okay.. so i picked up one of those mityvac vacuume bleeder pump things.. and its weird.. this is what ive noticed :

When the nipple is on the slave cylinder.. i get no liquid coming from the cylinder... master reservoir stays the same.

when i take the nipple off, and connect the mityvac to the hole on the slave cylinder.. and then pump.. i get liquid and bubbles.. master reservoir stays the same.

Pulled the banjo bolt line off the slave cylinder.. pumped the clutch pedal a few times.. pushing it down, pulling it up (no resistance).. and nothing.. i dont get any liquid coming from it.

So.. anymore ideas as to what the hell may be wrong. I'm a bit pissed i spent $30 on buying the mityvac system.. but maybe it will come in handy later...

This is starting to suck.. i have NO clue what is wrong at this point. I notice when i release the pressure from the mityvac system and the liquid goes back into the slave, that the pison at the end moves a bit... maybe if i fill the mityvac with brake fluid and let it go back into the slave.. i will get some diff response? I dont even know... :cry:

jeremod
04-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Seems weird that the vacuum thing doesn't work with the bleeder valve on. You might look to see if it is clogged with dirt.

Did you try pumping the pedal after you use the vacuum thing? Seems like if the vacuum is pulling fluid but the pedal still doesn't work then the master cylinder is dead.

d1giPhux
04-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Seems weird that the vacuum thing doesn't work with the bleeder valve on. You might look to see if it is clogged with dirt.

Did you try pumping the pedal after you use the vacuum thing? Seems like if the vacuum is pulling fluid but the pedal still doesn't work then the master cylinder is dead.

Yea, i took the bleeder nipple off.. and it seems to get liquid through it fine.. also tried pumping the clutch after having it all hooked up to the vaccume bleeder.. no such luck. Looks like this beast is getting towed to the stealership... so much for saving any $$.

TRUBLU
04-01-2007, 03:03 PM
sounds like your going to need to drive it to the shop without the clutch! Hope you have a strong battery!

d1giPhux
04-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Its not driving anywhere.. i just need to pay the $70 for the tow truck to tow my car 2 miles.... hah. so much for making things easier. :roll:

TRUBLU
04-01-2007, 05:57 PM
two miles? Just drive it there!

How many stop signs and traffic lights?

If you can save the $70 then I would say save it!

d1giPhux
04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
two miles? Just drive it there!

How many stop signs and traffic lights?

If you can save the $70 then I would say save it!

I dont think it can be driven.. when i tried to start it in first gear...it just jumped all over the place.. and would not go into gear. Its actually only going to be $60.. while its a waste of $.. i dont even care at this point.. because the whole stealership business is going to be a huge waste of money. At least the car will be fixed though right? Wonder how many days i will be car-less. I would drive it if it was like a straight shot.. but there is far too much traffic / stop lights / turns and such where i would need to shut the car off, change gears.. and re-start it during the process. Doing it this way is easier.. and i can catch the bus to work. Just sucks it came to this.. all because i tried to fix something simple. Guess i will just stick to not messing with hard stuff.

rougeben83
04-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Slave cylinder (the one with the bleed nipple) may be bad.

Have someone pump the clutch pedal; is the fork (the metal rod connected to the slave cylinder) moving the little rod on the slave cylinder?

d1giPhux
04-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Slave cylinder (the one with the bleed nipple) may be bad.

Have someone pump the clutch pedal; is the fork (the metal rod connected to the slave cylinder) moving the little rod on the slave cylinder?

Hmm.. im not sure what you mean by that. When the pedal was pushed in / out, the little rod on the end of the slave cylinder would move a little bit.. but not a whole lot. It just left to go to the shop.. so im hoping it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg. I know im going to hear a whole ear full from them about my heatshield, and other stupid things they will want to sell me.. but hopefully not. I'm hoping its JUST the slave cylinder.. and nothing else. But when i undid the banjo bolt on the top and pumped the pedal.. no liquid came out.. so it may be further problems. Really hope its not my tranny. :cry:

warrior
04-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Really hope its not my tranny. :cry:

Your clutch pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder have nothing to do with your tranny other than pushing a little metal fork. The problem lies within your clutch pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, the hardline or rubber line hose.

If it was your transmission, it wouldn't excuse why no fluid would be coming out or lack of pressure in your hydraulic system.

d1giPhux
04-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Really hope its not my tranny. :cry:

Your clutch pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder have nothing to do with your tranny other than pushing a little metal fork. The problem lies within your clutch pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, the hardline or rubber line hose.

If it was your transmission, it wouldn't excuse why no fluid would be coming out or lack of pressure in your hydraulic system.

true..i think its either the master or the slave.. or maybe even better.. just a broken / cracked line that is leaking air into the system. I'm not sure.. but i hope its not super expensive.