PDA

View Full Version : Clutch and transmission Questions

caoutback
04-02-2007, 12:54 AM
My BG clutch sometimes goes to the floor with little pressure. It still lets me shift and all but is not "firm" when I push it in. What could cause this? I am by no means mechanically smart so bare with me. Also, sometimes when I go to shift gears at or above 4k rpm it's not a smooth trangression (sp?) between gears whether it be 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th. Is this normal? I noticed it right off the bat when I bought my 1998 in December and took it to the dealership and they said it was "normal" but I don't trust them. As aan example of the shifting incident I was driving up a hill trying to pass slow moving traffic and letting the 2.5 climb in the rpms up to about 5-55k rpm and went to shift from 3rd to 4th but it would NOT go in. PERIOD. I tried 2-3 times with no luck (like trying to go into an empty spot (wall), gave up and put it in 5th no problem- minus the chugging of course. Then I was able to downshift it into 4th. Whats up??? I'm going to get the kartboy shifter and bushing kit ASAP and hope this cures my problem. BTW I picked this car up w/ 99.5k on it and it's been doing it off and on (thankfully more off than on) since i bought it. Yes, I drive it hard and generally shift between 3.5 and 4k, but sometimes I like to hear it scream and take it up to 5k.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Huffer
04-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Could be a worn shifter linkage, could be that the clutch pedal cable needs adjusting (or is it hydraulic)?

Any car with higher miles is going to have some issues when shifting.

caoutback
04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Could be a worn shifter linkage, could be that the clutch pedal cable needs adjusting (or is it hydraulic)?

That's what I was hoping for on the shifter side but the clutch is hydraulic.

d1giPhux
04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey man.. im guessing it could be the following. I was having the same thing happen to me over some time.. and finally my master cylinder broke. Could be the following :

Air in the lines
Slave Cylinder Is dead
Master cylinder is dead..

Most likely its air in the lines.. but be careful bleeding it.. if your master is dead like mine was.. yea, cant do much! haha.

Check out the thread i made just recently about this type of issue.. might help you with some of your questions.