PDA

View Full Version : to trade or not to trade...

badbasser98
04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I've had my heart set on a new LGT ever since they came out. I like the "refresh" for the 08 model year, and was thinking about getting a Spec.B when they arrive. The only way I can afford the payments is to trade/sell my BE in the process. That cash included with my down payment will drop the payment substantially. So I guess I started this thread to see your opinions. The Spec.B would be a summer only (project car, if you will) and I would be getting a 'beater' for the winter months. Maybe another BD since I've missed my 95 L.

I was thinking of getting a BD for swap and keeping the BE as a daily, but figured the money was better spent on a new car.

Superu264
04-03-2007, 10:22 AM
I would have been all for the 08 Spec.B but your BE is too nice to trade. A swapped BD would be kick ass. BE and BD WRX (or whatever you're doing) FTW.

Huffer
04-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Avoid payments at all costs if you can. The SpecB or any equivalent car will depreciate like a rock in less than 6 months. You'll be paying on the purchase price of a car that will not be valid in a year.

If you are planning on selling the BE privately, let me know (if it's auto, my fiance would like one in red).

Reason
04-03-2007, 11:31 AM
You should get a BD GT and do a swap in the BE.

badbasser98
04-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Yes its an auto

I really don't like that option. Main reason being how hard it is to find other components for that generation and how expensive they are when you do come accross somthing.

Reason
04-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Yes its an auto

I really don't like that option. Main reason being how hard it is to find other components for that generation and how expensive they are when you do come accross somthing.

Also how unique it would be :wink:

badbasser98
04-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love the BE, I just don't want to go through swapping it. I like the BD's more. :razz:

If I do get the B, the BD I would get as a 'beater' would be getting some upgrades as well. Though they would be more function over fashion. :wink:

Reason
04-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love the BE, I just don't want to go through swapping it. I like the BD's more. :razz:

True, I would only do a BE if I could find more parts for it.

Huffer
04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Yes its an auto

Then hook a brother up when it's time.

FWIW, with the new Impreza switching to a multi-link suspension, I expect you'll see more platform sharing soon.

Sarra
04-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Get the Spec B. :smile:

I wish I could just swap in a HB rear crossmember and rear suspension on my BK... I want an easier to work with suspension setup. :-(

TRUBLU
04-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Ok, so I'm going to tell you all my job path but y'all gotta promise not too hate me!

:shock: I'm a car salesman:shock:

And this is my advice to you....

If you try to buy the 08 when it hits the floor, expect to pay sticker price...if not MORE. Now, I've got three options for you financially...

1, Wait a few months after the 08 hits the floor then find a dealer with an 07 and an 08. Your going to be able to buy the 07 for a LOT LESS then it's sticker PLUS it will be heavily rebated and thats something Subaru is NOT known for doing.

2, Wait until the 08 has been out for about 12 months, then pick one up a Subaru dealership that has been a fleet return or something similar. It will be 12 months old and have between 8,000-20,000 miles on it. You will pay about 7-8K less then retail.

3, Wait 12 months until the rebates have started helping them move but don't expect anything more then $750 rebate plus what ever discount you can get.

I really need to create a "Ask the Car Salesman" Thread

Superu264
04-03-2007, 08:21 PM
1, Wait a few months after the 08 hits the floor then find a dealer with an 07 and an 08. Your going to be able to buy the 07 for a LOT LESS then it's sticker PLUS it will be heavily rebated and thats something Subaru is NOT known for doing.

Couldn't you just do the same with an 09 and 08? Wait when the 09's hit the floor and get a leftover 08 much cheaper?

Wiscon_Mark
04-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Possibly, but I don't think Matt wants to wait that long.

TRUBLU
04-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Couldn't you just do the same with an 09 and 08? Wait when the 09's hit the floor and get a leftover 08 much cheaper?

See, the 09 is going to be the same as the 08 se there be any real financial benfit except what the dealer can pass.

badbasser98
04-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Possibly, but I don't think Matt wants to wait that long.
:lol: I think you're right...

I would take an 07 if I knew for a fact that the 'refresh' is just the visible cosmetic changes. :wink: I've emailed a few somewhat local dealers that still have 2007's for a price quote. I'll see how that turns out.

TRUBLU
04-04-2007, 09:22 AM
thats all it is man :)

badbasser98
04-04-2007, 07:50 PM
No interior changes? No 'new' features? etc...

ivwarrior
04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Keep the BE and buy a Legacy SS to build up and make a project car. Closed deck block FTW.

TRUBLU
04-04-2007, 11:17 PM
No interior changes? No 'new' features? etc...

To the best of my knowledge...but I will search into it further for you.

badbasser98
04-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, there is a Spec.B in my future... But I am going to stick it out for another year. By then I should have enough to make a sizeable down payment on the B so that the payments are low. I am going to take the money I would have used as a down payment now and sink it into the BE. I will finish all current mod plans (and maybe a few extras) and keep the BE for a daily. This makes the most economic sense :smile:

Huffer
04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
<---- waits for Matt to succumb and put FS ad up... :D

TRUBLU
04-07-2007, 11:33 PM
sorry man, that would have to be the stupidest plan around! The BE still drives right? Don't pour anymore money into it. Take the money you have now and keep saving it. The money you put down means one of two things. The shorter your loan term will be or the lower your monthly payments will be.

As a car salesman I can tell you that spending money on an old car is stupid. Buying a new car is stupid also but not as bad as pouring money into it.

No offence but stop spending money!

Wiscon_Mark
04-07-2007, 11:55 PM
yeah, dude, you're going to want to mod the Spec B when you get it, not the BE, just make a larger down payment and then you won't have to make large monthly payments.

If there's some maitenence that needs doing, do it by all means, but modding the BE now is going be regretted later, IMO.

Perdue
04-08-2007, 05:53 AM
I'm with Roger, as I wish I had listened to him 6 months ago. Avoid payments at all costs for a vehicle. I kick myself everyday because instead of saving and paying cash for a vehicle, I took the easy way out and got a loan. Now I'm putting out $300/month that in my mind, would be much better used on housing (rent or house payment). I'm stuck in it for a while too because I chose to take out an aftermarket warranty, which now has what I owe above the true market value of the truck. The same thing will happen with the Spec B, as the market value will plummet soon after the purchase, as Roger also stated.

In short, get the BD and swap it. You miss your BD to begin with, so why not make an ubber sweet one?

Edit: And the plan to mod the BE rather than keep the money for a newer vehicle, or one that you actually want, make absolutely no economical sense.

badbasser98
04-09-2007, 09:20 AM
well, I already have about $3000 in parts sitting in my basement waiting to go on the BE. I wouldn't be spending that much more than I have already. I just need to paint a few things and have been thinking of springs/struts. Most of the extra will be in maintenance parts. Going this route instead, I will be keeping the BE instead of trading/selling it. I would by no means be dumping money into a car I was planning on getting rid of, unless it needed parts to be drivable. I am going to be replacing all the braking hardware with new OE equipment. I need to replace a couple caliper brackets because they are badly corroded. I am going to replace everything except the lines and master cylinder and either paint or powder coat everything before installing it.

Bottom line is, I want to see my BE completed with the mods I had planned. I think this might be the reason I miss the BD so much. I have decided to stick this one out as well, since in the 5 years I have had my license I have owned 4 vehicles. None of them had any issues preventing me from driving them before trading/selling. If I don't stick it out I might as well start leasing since I am trading every two years anyway. :lol:

Huffer
04-09-2007, 10:46 AM
If I don't stick it out I might as well start leasing since I am trading every two years anyway. :lol:

get those parts installed and then stop. Or just sell the parts and do yourself a favor and trade it in.

Leasing is a worse idea than a car loan. You're getting a similar viewpoint to mine from a car salesguy, and his living is based off selling cars on finance deals - mostly. Used car guys don't have much of a margin. Most car sales make the money over time, due to the interest rates.

Unless you are making enough cash to pay cash for a car, right out the door, then you really have no economic backbone to get a loan for a car and build up another.

You can choose to do it, and be perfectly fine, or you can end up being so over your head in loans, payments and debts that you cringe to even drive the cars. Most people find their long term financial plans stunted by the short term acquisition of cars.

badbasser98
04-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I appreciate your concerns, but I will not get myself in trouble with debt. I have a credit card, with a small limit that I only use on business trips to cover my expenses before getting reimbursed from my company.

Debt would be a reason why I am holding off, I want to be able to put a large amount down and have a smaller, shorter payment period. I would not be building up the BE any more than what I already have parts for and possibly a few other small items.

I, of course, was joking about the lease part. I figured the smiley gave that one away :wink: I would never lease a car, EVER. Why on Earth would I want to pay twice for the same car?!

legacy92ej22t
04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd go for the Spec B

Huffer
04-09-2007, 04:20 PM
I, of course, was joking about the lease part. I figured the smiley gave that one away :wink: I would never lease a car, EVER. Why on Earth would I want to pay twice for the same car?!

That's a relief. :)

badbasser98
04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I'd go for the Spec B
I will, in about a year...

badbasser98
04-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Huffer, you still interested in a red BE? :razz:

PM me...

Huffer
04-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Just sent you an email via forum, but will PM also.

pdawg
04-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Dibs on all parts in basement? :grin:

badbasser98
04-24-2007, 06:42 PM
lmao... do you even know what's down there?

pdawg
04-24-2007, 07:26 PM
lmao... do you even know what's down there?

Probably alot like my storage shed. :grin: