PDA

View Full Version : Steering ?

phazite
04-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I think this is where i should post this. For awhile now i have noticed that when i'm going slow i have i slight wobble? in the steering wheel. It is kind of like a high speed wobble but only when going slow. I know it sounds weird but i don't really know how to explain it. The wobble is not throughout the whole car just the steering wheel. Any of you guy's have something similar happen?

02LGT
04-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Is it when you are braking? if so...its your rotors...thats the only thing i can think of...

OutbackGT
04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
How slow are we talking?

phazite
04-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply guy's. It is not happening when im braking, i only notice it up to about 15-20 mph and then it goes away. It is bad when the car is cold.

scottzg
04-07-2007, 05:26 AM
wierd! Try unhooking your ps/alt belt and driving around the block.

phazite
04-07-2007, 11:44 AM
You think the p/s pump is shot?. It could be. I have an extra one lying around if it is.I will try that. Thanks :smile:

jeremod
04-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Most of the time wobbles are caused by tires being out of balance or a bad tie rod end. Try rotating your tires and see if it changes. My old tires used to cause this.

Sarra
04-08-2007, 12:05 AM
If your power steering was bad, then your steering would fight you through turns. I drove an XT6 with power unsteering... The wheel was easy to turn until a point, then it was harder to turn than if it had old non-power assist steering. ;)

scottzg
04-09-2007, 03:08 AM
how slow are we talking?

Another thing to check is see if rotating the tires back to front cures it- that will eliminate the wheels/tires.

Jacking up the front end of the car and then having someone wiggle the steering wheel and wheels can check for slop in the rack assembly.

phazite
04-10-2007, 01:54 PM
sorry about not replying so fast been real busy looking for a job. The wobble happens up to about 15-20 mph. I have been paying more attention to it and i noticed that it doesn't do it as much when the car is warmed up. I will be checking into it more probably this evening or tomorrow. thanks again