PDA

View Full Version : Pics of a WRX dash and console swap into a BD?

HotBoxer
04-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Im wondering if the contour lines will fit together and if it would take alot of custom fab to get it to look normal. Just throwing ideas around in my head.

sheepdog
04-06-2007, 07:56 PM
I know East Coast Swappers has done one, but I don't have pictures of it. You could email them about it. www.eastcoastswappers.com (http://www.eastcoastswappers.com)

From what I remember when I was up there, the front door cards need to be modified, but otherwise it looked good.

Edit: I'm going to move this thread to swaps & conversions later tonight, so don't think it just dissapeared ;)

HotBoxer
04-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the link sheepdog. found some pics herehttp://www.eastcoastswappers.com/gallery.php?id=70

sheepdog
04-06-2007, 08:10 PM
That's the one ;)

redlegacygt
04-07-2007, 01:18 PM
i talked to eastcoast swappers not too long ago they said it will work, but they wont do them anymore. The said that its too much and it just isnt as safe as just leaving it alone and just swapping the gauge cluster. however i'd still email them and ask just incase they've changed their minds.

sheepdog
04-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Paul has told me the same thing, but money talks. If you're prepared to pay for the swap, I don't think they'd turn you down.

HotBoxer
04-09-2007, 02:39 PM
So my understanding of the swap is this. If I do a complete driveline swap the harness doesnt need to be modifies past lights and window switches and that sort of thing? I was also wondering about the ignition. Would I need two different keys for door and ignition? I am really ready to do this swap but I would like to clear up some of these questions first. Too bad there isnt a Hayne's manual for something like this. Unless Im not looking hard enough.

sheepdog
04-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Haha trust me, there is no "how to" book for subaru swaps.

But your understanding is pretty much correct. If you swap in this fashion, you're pretty much pulling the old harness out of your legacy and weaving the wrx harness through. Paul was talking to me about it, and it seems the dash modification is pretty intensive for the legacys. I'm not sure whether the subframes or gas tank would work, but I don't think you'd have to replace that stuff. The only thing you might have trouble with would be keeping your legacy gas tank, the wiring for that might be different.

Huffer
04-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Pretty sure the gas tanks have to be swapped out. Different in tank sensors.

sheepdog
04-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Dude, I just noticed you were in the springs. There are tons of people around here, denver, golden, and foco that would be happy to help you out if you needed it. There are 3 dash swapped GC guys (including me) and a couple regular motor swap guys.

You should come up for the CU car show saturday, most of them will be there.

HotBoxer
04-09-2007, 08:58 PM
I would come up but my Explorer is ready to drop a valve and I think ive taken it out of the springs for the last time. I used to commute to FoCo weekly and it took its toll on my ride. Im ready to get a BD in the next few weeks and I would like to the swap before winter. Ive actually already got a donor car lined up. Its a 2002 WRX with an EJ20T and 52k on the clock. Im prepared to do the swap and if I could get some help on it that would be killer. I dont really have a problem with the mechanical aspect but everyone seems to be a little apprehensive about the wiring and thats where I will get lost. I guess the hard part now is trying to find a decent LGT. Ive also thought about just getting an L and making a neat little sleeper. Ill keep you guys updated on the search.

sheepdog
04-09-2007, 09:04 PM
let me know if you need any help finding parts or anything. I'd also be down to come help you decipher wiring, but I'm not really that great at it either.

Kraziken
04-10-2007, 05:30 PM
I didn't even know this was possible. I hate how low the double din is in the stock Legacy setup. I don't care about the door cards as much, but I would love the WRX console. It is much more useful if you are going to do a carputer.

HotBoxer
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I had a carputer in mind but that will be later down the road. Im going to get the running gear and motor set up the way I want it. Im going for a comfortable 300-350 awhp. Once that is done I will be putting one in. Ive got 70 gigs of music I wanna put in there. As for the door cards I might do some fiberglass panels to fit the door with the stock pieces and make it look stock but fit the shape of the dash and stay in line with the rest of the interior.

Kraziken
04-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Did you e-mail eastcoast swappers about this project? I'm wondering how much cutting they had to do with the WRX console to make it fit.

The other piece I would wonder about is the passenger air bag.

sheepdog
04-10-2007, 10:15 PM
They had to do a lot of fabrication to the dash bar, more than it going into a GC, but that's the extent of what I know.

redlegacygt
04-11-2007, 10:14 AM
there should be pics of it on their website. Im not sure if there as a gap on the sides of the dash either. I know the one pic showed it, but im not sure if that was just a pic of it not completly installed...