PDA

View Full Version : overprotective ABS

theboyo19
04-11-2007, 04:25 PM
so i noticed that my abs would kick in randomly when im driving
when im slowing to a stop it engages when i hit around 5-10 mph
this annoyed me and i called a local car-talk radio show and the guy told me that there was a recall on the relay on the abs unit and i needed a new relay.. i replaced my relay and it worked well for a while... but now it has started again, last week i backed out of my friends driveway, the abs kicked in and i hit his trailer.... my car has a 2.5in long hole in the rear bumper..... :mad:
so ... ive pulled the relay and im running without abs for now ... anyone know whats going on here.. ive been thinking about replacing the abs unit with one from a junk yard
thanks

Plays_with_Toys
04-11-2007, 11:08 PM
When you first start a car, the abs will do a self adjust/check the first time you slow down (and sometimes in the first few minutes of driving). When reversing off driveways, it happens everytime I start driving. It annoyed me when I'd be applying brakes and I hit bumps in the road and the ABS tripped. I pulled the fuse and have been running around like that without problems for months.

theboyo19
04-11-2007, 11:10 PM
ya thats pretty much what ive been doing
before i replaced the relay the first time the abs motor kicked in and wouldent stop one day .. i turned off the car and it kept chuggin along

Sarra
04-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I've been contemplating running an ABS kill switch, but I don't want to bother with that much fabbing. :razz:

Just pull the fuse. I've never had this happen, but then... I almost never get my ABS to kick in, unless it snowed. :razz:

theboyo19
04-11-2007, 11:28 PM
mine kicks in when i turn and stop.. ive pulled the fuse after the trailer incident and dont plan on putting it back in for awhile

Plays_with_Toys
04-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I wonder if one of your wheel speed sensors is messed up and sending a bad signal to the ABS.

theboyo19
04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
where would that be located

Plays_with_Toys
04-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Near the brakes. It's how the ABS knows that a wheel is locked up or about to lock up relative to the other 4 wheels. If one wheel is slowing much faster than others than the ABS kicks on.

2.5GT
04-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Yep, mine kicks in when going down hill.

jey
04-13-2007, 01:39 PM
An auto shop was replacing my tie rod or something once and damaged one of my wheel sensors. The symptoms are exactly what everyone is saying here:

- ABS engages randomly
- ABS engages all the time at 5-10 mph even in light braking
- ABS engages when going downhill

And in my case the ABS light came on and stayed on, so I was able to take it to a dealer to diagnose the ABS computer and verify it was a bad wheel sensor. You may want to do that if you want to get your ABS back.

adw_terror
04-15-2007, 01:12 AM
its kind of funny, but i just replaced a wheel bearing and ever since then my abs light has been on... its started to have the same exact symptoms everyone else is talking about but now those symptoms are almost completly gone and the abs light still stays on... what fuse did you guys pull? everythings in japanese so i have no idea whats what
-Josh

jey
04-16-2007, 11:17 AM
its kind of funny, but i just replaced a wheel bearing and ever since then my abs light has been on... its started to have the same exact symptoms everyone else is talking about but now those symptoms are almost completly gone and the abs light still stays on... what fuse did you guys pull? everythings in japanese so i have no idea whats what
-Josh

Yeah you've probably damaged a wheel speed sensor.

adw_terror
04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
i dont see how i could have... i made sure to stay away from it as much as possible and i dont remember hitting it... hmmmm... after you guys pulled the fuse did you still have the abs light on? i just did and the abs lights still on
-Josh

mranlet
04-17-2007, 04:35 PM
ABS kill swtich took me about 5 minutes using an inline fuse and two spade connectors on a toggle switch. Of course, I think since installing it I've only turned the ABS back on once during a huricane...

joemcfarnham
12-06-2008, 07:12 AM
what colour wire did u cut into? I know this is an old thread but if anyone has experience installing a switch I would appreaciate it, ive never driven a car with abs and I prefer my own methods of braking.

Huffer
12-06-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't think he cut a wire. Used an inline fuse with connectors on a toggle switch - I am thinking he probably took the fuse out, inserted a couple of spade connectors for each terminal, ran a wire up to a toggle switch with inline-fuse...flick the switch and the "fuse" is removed.

rougeben83
12-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I would seriously check your speed sensor first before thinking that's normal for ABS.