PDA

View Full Version : JDM Projector disassembley/LHD conversion

ProdriveDreams
04-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any info on converting the JDM Projector lights for a BD from RHD to LHD, do you just flip the shutter? or do you have to custom fab, a new shutter?

Also if anyone has any info on dissasembling on of these, i would greatly appreciate it, as i started and then found my self putting too much force into it, and decided to stop before i broke my new pretty projectors.

Also for anyone who is interested i did make a "Harness" of sorts so i didnt have to cut my stock lighting socket, and splice new wires. I could proabbly take pics if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Brian

Wiscon_Mark
04-17-2007, 01:07 PM
If you want to open them up, put them in the oven...it'll loosen up the adhesive.

I believe the headlight baking thread is around here somewhere (check the DIY section).

phi11
04-17-2007, 01:14 PM
all i know is, to get the lense off,

(take all the stuff off that you can, bulbs,clips,etc.)
bake it for 10-20 min, at 175-200*

or use a heat gun.

RadeOn
04-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Checkthis tread (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924777&highlight=projector+headlight+shield+dremel) on nasioc.
You have to change the cut-off shield (should be simple) and the reflector part of the projector assembly (no idea how to tackle this).

Please post back your progress, I'm interested in doing the same.

backpack09
04-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Once you get the Assembly apart.

Turn the adjustment screws clockwise, (they are reverse threaded) to move the projectors, when you get them loose you can snake a philips screwdriver in to unscrew the 2 screws on pivot ball.

When the projector is out, it is 2 philips head screws to remove the rear section.

I do not remember if the center sections, (the part with the cast cutoff) is exchangeable between the left and right.

Give it a try and let us know.

I had mine apart because the plastic clips that attatch to the projectors to the adjustment screws broke in shipping, and the projector was flopping around loose in my headlights.

While you are in there, It is 1 philips screws per headlight to clear out your sidemarkers :)

EDIT: now looking at the pics from nabisco, You will NOT be able to easily swap the center sections from one side to the other, because of the location of the pivot ball and the adjustment screws.

badbasser98
04-17-2007, 02:28 PM
This would be a very diffucult task. The thread on Nabisco gives you a good description of the process. I think the hardest part is going to be finding a cutoff shield to use in place of the OE one since it is integrated into the housing itself. Not to mention that the mounts are angled toward the left side of the car. I believe it would be hard to align the lights properly without fabbing your own mounts for the projector assembly...

stanz
04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
why not just put the damn things in? as long as there's light somewhere ahead of my car im COO.

(flame on me now, please :lol: )

ProdriveDreams
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
ooooo they are in, i just like things to be difficult, so i can feel accomplished. Also i have an HID conversion kit coming, and i'd like not to blind everyone... but i guess thats there probblem, kidding!

warrior
04-24-2007, 09:34 PM
HID Retrofit is the ONLY logical thing to do.

I've been browsing www.hidplanet.com (http://www.hidplanet.com) for the last couple of days and any HID kit is a waste of time and money!! It's not worth it and it blinds other people.

I'm doing a HID retrofit into my JDM projectors, I've got Philips 85122 D2S 4300k bulbs, E39 (from a BMW X5) projectors.. the only thing I need is Hella Gen 3 ballasts.

OEM parts is the only way to go!

ProdriveDreams
04-25-2007, 07:43 PM
let me know how those fit for you, i saw a thread over at either I-club or NASIOC where a guys tarted and never finished the mod with those projectors.

Extremely excited tos ee you take the inniciative.

Tokio
04-25-2007, 10:09 PM
im not trying to be a dink or start a fight, but JDM projectors are not LHD or RHD.

theyre straight down the middle.

theres an article floating around somewhere about it, maybe it was on nabisco, though.

im not saying they dont need to be adjusted, but that the bulbs arent angled to the left or to the right.

ProdriveDreams
04-25-2007, 11:18 PM
The shutters are definitly positioned to shine primarily to the left, annnnnd the light bulb is centered slightly tot he right in the reflector, also i've noticed that the light output on the left is much brighter than on the right. But you can correct it enough that the beam pattern is pretty normal.

I'd be interested in seeing this article tho.

Wiscon_Mark
04-26-2007, 12:01 AM
im not trying to be a dink or start a fight, but JDM projectors are not LHD or RHD.

theres an article floating around somewhere about it, maybe it was on nabisco, though.

im not saying they dont need to be adjusted, but that the bulbs arent angled to the left or to the right.

I said it on Nasioc, but not here: The projector aim isn't what bothers me, it's the beam pattern from the JDM projectors that does.

warrior
04-26-2007, 06:05 AM

I would like to correct you right now because there's nothing worse than reading false information.

This is the rear view of the projector and as you can see the cut off shield is wrong. In LHD the cut off shield should be mirrored.. following the path of the blue line. in the JDM Projectors, light shines above the step and illuminates everything to the left of it. (In Japan it would be signs, people, curb etc) but in LHD, it would be the opposite.

The only reason why your 'eyes' can't see this cut off is because well, you're using halogen lights. If you were to put a HID kit in there through JDM Projectors, you would significantly see everything illuminated to the left and blind oncoming traffic.

Please don't spread false information regarding these projectors, they are definitely not straight down the middle.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7969/projector127quma4.jpg

I said it on Nasioc, but not here: The projector aim isn't what bothers me, it's the beam pattern from the JDM projectors that does.

Mark is right, but the beam pattern is what blinds oncoming traffic. You can compensate by adjusting the projectors to point lower to the ground but that to me defeats the purpose because you might as well be driving with fog lights on.

warrior
04-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Also for anyone who is interested i did make a "Harness" of sorts so i didnt have to cut my stock lighting socket, and splice new wires. I could proabbly take pics if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Brian

I'm interested :lol: Please and thanks.. this is the only thing stumping me.. I really wish I paid more attention in electronics class :oops:

ProdriveDreams
04-27-2007, 04:13 PM
There are two ways to go about it, I took the slightly cheaper, and definitly more ghetto route, because i was impatient and didnt want to wait for ordered parts. Basicly what you need is either an H4 female socket, which can be ordered online, OR you can also buy some large male spade connectors from any electronics store. Mine came with a plastic surround, that i simply cut off. Then you just take the harness from the JDM harness and connect each wire to one of the spades (except the city driving light, which you may connect to your low beams or your parking lights or not at all like me.) Once youve done this, you insert each spade into the appropriate female slot in the H4 harness. I am not near my car right now so i cant tell you which wire goes where, but i will look when i get out of school today.

When i make a "better" harness i will do a full DIY.