PDA

View Full Version : Suspension squeaking, stuff replaced (edited title)

ryu_haneda
04-17-2007, 11:10 PM
LAST POST HAS DETAILS

Ok, so I started researching suspension parts to get to replace on my lgt because I'm starting to hear my suspension squeak (most likely just my shocks/struts, but may be more), mostly when hitting certain bumps like speed bumps.

Now that I think of it, though, my suspension has been feeling a bit bouncy (and almost like driving a boat). So I started thinking about performance shocks and springs/struts/etc, and after briefly considering WRX parts (and the effort required to replace them), I decided that I wanted to retain stockness (or come as close to it as I can).

Disadvantages:
1. Legacy-size car with stock performance springs = no contest against lighter gc8 chassis or gdb and later cars, etc...

2. Not incredibly tight handling overall

Advantages:
1. Stock parts = GUARANTEED compatibility
2. Stock parts = ease of installation (maybe at least)
3. The idea of keeping a stock car is kind of nice, almost like having a classic car (and the stock LGT car is no slouch either)

Does this seem like a smart idea? I mean, I wonder if stock impreza parts for suspension are easier to get and install than stock legacy parts.

I KNOW stock Legacy parts would be easier to install, even for someone who doesn't know what wrench to use (editor's note: my level of experience right now is (a) buy the parts, and (b) call my head mechanic to install them).

Thoughts?

Wiscon_Mark
04-17-2007, 11:53 PM
WRX struts with Legacy springs would be a good combo.

deadlydave
04-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Err..the spring perches built into the wrx struts are not the same size as the legacy springs. If you go WRX, go for the stock WRX springs and front top hats too. The ride is stiffer than stock GT parts, but far from brutal. Also, there's someone here that used the wrx wagon rear springs on the BD sedan with the matching WRX wagon struts--It sits higher in the rear if you go this route.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974624
The nasioc thread! It's very helpful.

ryu_haneda
04-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Thank you very much for your feedback guys. I could go ahead and put in a call to my local techs to find out how much the swap will cost once I source some parts.

I would figure that if I swap out Legacy GT parts for WRX parts the ride would get more aggressive. I just want to do this right, and I don't even care if I stick with the stock springs and struts. I am still undeniably grateful to God for being able to drive a Subaru Legacy GT at all!

I know that suspension mods or repair is definitely one of the things on my automotive repair list. I should probably go to my.subaru.com to see what actually should be worked on the car at this point (parts to fix, replace, etc.).

What should a completely green novice (myself) start paying attention to on my way to doing it myself?

deadlydave
04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
look and listen for things that weren't there when you first started driving the car--stuff like noises from the bearings. Try to keep her as rust-free as possible with liberal car washes and use of wax.

Of course, if you have any more problems, feel free to make a post in the appropriate section and ask for help. :smile:

that one legacy
04-19-2007, 01:25 AM
WRX struts and springs are definitely a good option if you just want something firmer than stock, but don't want to feel like your car's beating you up on long drives. the biggest problem you'll run into if you try and do this yourself is getting the brake lines off of the stock strut, they have to be cut out. you'll see what i mean when you take a look at it.

deadly_dave, are you sure it's the front top hats that need to be swapped? i always heard it was the rears on our cars.

Huffer
04-19-2007, 10:13 AM
ryu - if you want firmer than stock, then do this:

KYB GR2 struts with low mileage or new Legacy-fitment springs (4)
New strut tops (4)
Replace swaybar bushings front and rear (WRX or Impreza RS bushings will work)

That's it.

You should be able to get all the part you need for under $600, but it will make the car feel really good. I still have to replace the bushings for the sways on my sedan, at 202k they are a bit old. I can tell because when they're dry, they don't soak up one bit of shock, but when they're wet (after rain) there's barely any noise from the rear of the car.

ryu_haneda
04-19-2007, 02:43 PM
What's the most annoying part about swapping out parts like those?

backpack09
04-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Battling 10 year of rust on the fasteners.

scottzg
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
wrx rear struts won't work w/o modification.

The wrx has a higher roll center than the older cars. For us, this means that when you stick the struts on a legacy you have positive camber and possible wheel rub. Fun, (oh god yes its fun!) but pretty dangerous.

I used a carbide drill to widen the top camber adjustment bolt hole in the strut to fix the camber. This is definately not the way a mechanic would do it, but at least i get to use a full width bolt and the load is bore by the inside of the plate.

I've also seen people move the strut top inward. I didn't go this way because it's more work and you further lower the roll center.

deadlydave
04-19-2007, 10:48 PM
No such mods needed on my BD.

scottzg
04-21-2007, 12:15 AM
No such mods needed on my BD.

wierd!

theboyo19
04-21-2007, 10:22 AM
another way to beat that 10 yr rust is to spray deep creep on the bolts.. its just seafoam in a spray bottle and it works great..

d1giPhux
04-21-2007, 10:55 AM
another way to beat that 10 yr rust is to spray deep creep on the bolts.. its just seafoam in a spray bottle and it works great..

PB Blaster works great too.. just spray a crap ton on it.. and let it sit for a while!

ryu_haneda
03-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Bringing a thread back, just felt like updating you all.

I did wind up having my struts replaced. As it turns out, I also needed front strut mounts, and the inner boots AND axle boot were all torn. I wound up getting a new LF axle assembly because the labor to have the old one fixed up would have been more expensive at my local garage.

Oh, and all 4 of my old struts were bad - they weren't bottoming out, but there was virtually zero bounce control. The springs didn't need to be replaced. I kept my car factory height - I could have gone with Eibachs, but (1) I didn't measure my springs and (2) I wouldn't have had a lifetime warranty on the KYBs if I went that way. Plus, I like the ride height stock anyway :grin:

Now, I've got KYB GR2s at all four corners, a new left front axle assembly with fresh cv joint and bearings, new strut mounts, new boots, and there is a marked difference in ride quality. The car has literally come back to life - it is bouncier on the road and highway, and I would imagine that means it's going to grab a lot better on corners too.

I'm still not going autocrossing, but at least it feels much better. Certainly worth the investment.