PDA

View Full Version : Clutch adjustment???

2deadlegs
07-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I was doing some reding in the net and I saw someone say that people with non-hydraulic clutches need to adjust them every 5000-7000 miles.

Is this true? If so how do I go about adjusting it?

gator gt
07-15-2005, 05:52 PM
my guess is because that non-hydro is cable actuated...and the cable may stretch or something along those lines. call the dealership and see if you can talk to a tech who you know is cool and will tell you what you need to do.

Although most will say they can't tell you, or don't have time and will ineveitably suggest that you bring it down for them to do it.

Nice try.

S'all I got.
GGT

Pwise2326
07-15-2005, 10:14 PM
I haven't been in contact with a cable-operated clutch on a Legacy, but on my buddy's oldschool Jetta at one end of the cable is a nut you can turn to tighten/loosen the cable and the position where the clutch dis/engages. IIRC the amount of freeplay should be an inch and a half or so, it may be different on cables, best bet before heading to the dealership is grabbing a Haynes manual.

gator gt
07-16-2005, 01:26 PM
That sounds about the correct approach Pwise. Adjustment would come from tightening the cable at the pedal; or at least it sounds like it to me.

Haynes may say something about it in their manuals too.

GGT

Plays_with_Toys
07-16-2005, 08:26 PM
I'll one up all of you!

Just found out the girl I bought the wheels from, her dad is the head mechanic for John Elway Subaru here in Denver. I'll ask him what he knows.

Plays_with_Toys
07-21-2005, 01:05 AM
So he said that the clutch cable only needs to be adjusted if your free play is incorrect. He said that the clutch should let go about 2.5-3" from the floor and should engage at about the same amount from the top. If that's not the case, its usually a top side (pedal) adjustment. He said very rarely do you adjust at the clutch end of the cable.

2deadlegs
07-22-2005, 03:43 AM
The chilton manual says I need to adjust it at the bottom. My clutch engages fine it just does it damn near the top of the stroke. There is no slack in the system so I guess that is a good thing. Looks like I need to do me some adjusting.

Thanks guys.