PDA

View Full Version : Camber Bolts

JMoney
04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
I know some of you are using these. Did you just opt to replace the bottom bolts on all four corners, or did you go with top and bottom?

Also, what kit did you go with?

rallysam
04-27-2007, 05:44 AM
I had a bad experience with crash bolts. My shop tried to get a couple degrees of camber, but the settings just kept coming out over and over again. I had to keep re-setting the camber, then go back to check a month or two later and it would be way off again. Mind you, some people get away with it. I was rallycrossing which is going to jostle them more than street driving would. But still, just remember that camber bolts are the half-assed solution. Eccentric bolts just aren't meant to hold that much camber. Camber plates are the "right" solution. Or just go with what your stock bolts are capable of (about negative 1 degree up front).

To answer one your questions directly, I don't remember what brand I had but I doubt it makes a difference. It's an eccentric bolt.

Plays_with_Toys
04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
without creating a new thread, are camber bolts needed for the rear for those who have dropped their cars?

MCarp22
04-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Is my LS unusual that it came with camber bolts? The factory struts had the same elongated mouting hole and markings on the cam shaped lower bolt as the GT-B bilsteins.

Wiscon_Mark
04-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Is my LS unusual that it came with camber bolts? The factory struts had the same elongated mouting hole and markings on the cam shaped lower bolt as the GT-B bilsteins.

No I believe they all do, it's just that the factory tolerances are limited so there's aftermarket bolts.

rallysam
04-27-2007, 05:47 PM

It's normal to come with eccentric camber bolts (usually on the front, not necessarily on the back) but they only give you small adjustments, maybe a degree or so.

For cars that have a bent frame, or guys looking for performance, you can replace them with "crash bolts" which are smaller in diameter, which allows a more eccentric bolt and therefore larger range of camber (maybe 2, 3 degrees).

So, to clarify my story, I switched to the special bolts, hated them because they would keep coming out of adjustment, then went back to the stock bolts, which still allow adjustment but just less.

MCarp22
04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
you can replace them with "crash bolts" which are smaller in diameter

I'm familiar with crash bolts, i'm just surprised that you'd need more adjustment.

rougeben83
04-28-2007, 11:39 AM
For autox and other kinds of motorsports, a lot of people like to run aggressive negative camber. :wink:

jlk2.5gt
05-02-2007, 01:28 AM
I have had no problem with my aftermarket rear camber bolts coming loose and i installed them 2 years ago, though i dont have a stock rear suspension.