PDA

View Full Version : Hella Supertones FTW!!

warrior
04-29-2007, 08:28 PM
I just finished installing my Super tones and it was a breeze!

Here's a final picture

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/04/hellasupertones-1.jpg

Here's a link to the way it sounds as well. It's loud as hell, but you can't tell from the sound clip.

Sound clip (http://www.jay-d.com/marv/images/supertones.wav)

studum
04-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Cool. TSC group buy?

warrior
04-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Cool. TSC group buy?

Yep.

badbasser98
04-29-2007, 09:56 PM
i like the looks, but the tone is horrible... I almost never use my horn because of that reason. Give me a huge air horn and I'll be set :lol:

warrior
04-29-2007, 10:54 PM
i like the looks, but the tone is horrible... I almost never use my horn because of that reason. Give me a huge air horn and I'll be set :lol:

I actually like it.. sounds very European like :D

Wiscon_Mark
04-30-2007, 01:42 AM
I'm not a fan of the tone either. My stock horn is fine IMO.

JMoney
04-30-2007, 01:58 AM
It's more form over function.

warrior
04-30-2007, 06:41 AM
:cry:

FTL then?

You bastards.. I like em :lol:

auspex
04-30-2007, 07:31 AM
dicks!!

did you guys make him cry on the last post?

is that them peaking out in front of your radiator fans?? they look badass! i know the function is not to look great, but whatever, jdm tails don't do much but look smooth.

-mike

Huffer
04-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Needs some bass! :lol:

d1giPhux
04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
This thread needs a soundclip! Looks nice tho man! :cool:

Huffer
04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
This thread needs a soundclip! Looks nice tho man! :cool:

Do you read?

Here's a link to the way it sounds as well. It's loud as hell, but you can't tell from the sound clip.

Sound clip (http://www.jay-d.com/marv/images/supertones.wav)

d1giPhux
04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Hahah.. :smt015

Guess i wasn't awake.

LeggoMyLeggy
05-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Def like the look. Not to hot on the sound but if I don't like it then I'm sure the person I'm honking at won't like it either !!!!!

How do you have them mounted? Got pics?

/Leggo

shazapple
05-03-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm sure he didn't buy them for the sound but for the effect they have on dumb drivers :lol:

warrior
05-03-2007, 12:46 PM
How do you have them mounted? Got pics?
/Leggo

Real easy.. there's two holes along the rad support on the front. I simply attached each horn to one with a nut, bolt, washers and one lock washer. I'll take pics when I get home tonight

I'm sure he didn't buy them for the sound but for the effect they have on dumb drivers :lol:

hhaha.. yea.. I haven't had a chance to use the horn yet because I'm a kind person and believe everyone makes mistakes while driving, so it's kind of arrogance on my behalf to just honk away but I know one day when some complete dumbass does something really ignorant I won't hesitate!

Kraziken
05-03-2007, 12:47 PM
It's more form over function.

The lady jaywalker that I made jump about a foot into the air would disagree. :grin: :grin:

They are loud. Sure the tone is not the semi-truck sound, but 118db is no joke.
I have mine wired in conjunction with my stock horns though. :twisted:

subaru_terrence
05-14-2007, 12:17 PM
seriously...they are not that loud...

and I think I am too nice to use the horns...i had so many chance to horn at some stupid drivers but i didnt :S

by the way, for my BE, I cant make the hella behind the grille, now they sit a bit lower than the grille...you may able to see 40% of them from outside.

The wires dont seem long enough for me to put behind the grille...

Did any BE guys solve this problem?

Plays_with_Toys
05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
They are loud. Sure the tone is not the semi-truck sound, but 118db is no joke.

Step one: find a cadillac eldarado in a junk yard
step two: rip out 3 or 4 of the horns
step three: install into legacy
step four: enjoy semi-truck like horns with no compressors
step five: ?????
step six: profit

:grin:

Kraziken
05-15-2007, 11:19 AM

and I think I am too nice to use the horns...i had so many chance to horn at some stupid drivers but i didnt :S

by the way, for my BE, I cant make the hella behind the grille, now they sit a bit lower than the grille...you may able to see 40% of them from outside.

The Hellas are directional. From the drivers seat they don't seem very loud at all. Stand in front of the car, and it is a different story.

35TH
05-31-2007, 12:26 AM

I was able to put mine behind the grille without any major issues at all. I mounted them to the rad. support, I had to unbolt the hood latch to install the passenger side but that was only three bolts. As far as the wiring you have to free the stock horn wires from the rad. support and it should reach fine. The biggest problem I had was with the mounting brackets on the horns, I needewd to turn one of the horns to connect the wiring but was unable to loosen the nut on the horn. I ended up making an extension wire.
I'll take some pics tommorow.
Brian

subaru_terrence
05-31-2007, 02:13 AM

I was able to put mine behind the grille without any major issues at all. I mounted them to the rad. support, I had to unbolt the hood latch to install the passenger side but that was only three bolts. As far as the wiring you have to free the stock horn wires from the rad. support and it should reach fine. The biggest problem I had was with the mounting brackets on the horns, I needewd to turn one of the horns to connect the wiring but was unable to loosen the nut on the horn. I ended up making an extension wire.
I'll take some pics tommorow.
Brian

Hope you are able to see from this pic,

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/05/DSCN1622B-1.jpg

My horns are actually in the middle of the grille but you wont able to see the entire horns...
I want to put them behind the grille and people are able to see entire horns. Another thing I just realize is that the stock wires are JUST enough to put at that spot...they are not long enough

Payback45
12-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Over there are safedrives.com under the hella supertones there is an option for "Add Install Pack" for $5 more, is that necessary for a good install? I know nothing when it comes to electrical stuff so would it be a good idea for me?

warrior
12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Over there are safedrives.com under the hella supertones there is an option for "Add Install Pack" for $5 more, is that necessary for a good install? I know nothing when it comes to electrical stuff so would it be a good idea for me?

That's a tough call.. that addition is probably all the wires, fuses and relay you need to hook it all up.

You can find everything separately but honestly.. I'd do it.. can't go wrong for $5!! :smt023

Payback45
12-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Probably a good idea. I will have to go with it.

subba
12-05-2008, 02:37 PM
i cant wait to get my set, my friends and i like to fool around in town, its also fun to let them off in a garage when your freinds are sleeping and they should be working on their car :lol:

subba
12-05-2008, 02:59 PM
my friends and i fool around too much not to get these :eek:

Payback45
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Honestly I am looking at the safety stand point. That and if you cut me off I will break your ear drums.

12-05-2008, 06:04 PM
i never really noticed that those were horns.. i always just glanced and assumed you all had enough money for a couple of turbo's, lol

i obviously didnt look that hard... :lol:

how much are these bad boys?...i wonder what 4 would sound like :smt017

Payback45
12-05-2008, 06:18 PM
118db x 2= Hard of hearing

1-3-2-4
12-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Quick question anyone know the Amp draw with just two horns?

Quest
03-04-2012, 12:10 PM
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/hornblasters-shocker-96-subaru-legacy-sedan-180354.html

Wiscon_Mark
03-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Why?! That's probably completely unnecessarily loud, and he removed his OBDII port. Poor location choice for the switch.

Quest
03-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Why is it a poor location? I am using a Scangauge 2, which remains plugged into the OBD2 port permanently. I can toggle between stock and aftermarket

Wiscon_Mark
03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
I missed the scanguage 2 part. I just hope he doesn't end up living in a state where they do plug-in inspections. That would probably fail him.

Legacy89
03-08-2012, 08:44 AM
How many horns are that? 5?

Seems a bit much for a small sedan/wagon.

I have a set of supertones paired with a trippletone hella compressors.
They scare people in front of me off the freaking road.

Quest
03-08-2012, 10:29 AM
How many horns are that? 5?

Seems a bit much for a small sedan/wagon.

I have a set of supertones paired with a trippletone hella compressors.
They scare people in front of me off the freaking road.
It has 4 horns, the one behind the grille, (largest), is 22". They all have 5" mouths.

mbf6182
11-26-2012, 01:39 PM
i have the same car and i want to install the supertones but im not sure if i need to get a bracket for it or not. Did you just order the horns and the harness?

unsullied_spy
02-05-2013, 12:53 AM
i have the same car and i want to install the supertones but im not sure if i need to get a bracket for it or not. Did you just order the horns and the harness?
You don't need to, no. I mounted mine using the same bolt that holds the stock horns on, and just flopped the stock horns down so they're behind the bumper now. They rub a wee bit on the grill but you could probably bend the mounts if this bothers you. I used the stock horn wire to switch my relay on rather than do major wiring surgery and there's no real delay between the stock horns coming on and having all 4 belting out their wrath against offending drivers and pedestrians.

kimokalihi
02-05-2013, 01:27 PM
They look cool but I dislike the sound as well. I had them on my car but not for long before I sold them. Then I found an airhorn on a justy I bought and it sounded hilarious like a euro horn. Had that on my legacy until it stopped working for some reason. I took it off and have been rolling wih no horn for 6 months or more. Need to find a good loud horn that's deeper than hellas. Maybe those caddillac eldorados...ebay here I come.

r3v_v3ng3
02-07-2013, 01:39 AM
In my opinion, I think it sounds weird. I prefer the stock horn instead besides I don't use the horn often. I also blocks the airflow to the radiator. my .02cents

Sub-Goon
04-11-2013, 01:40 PM
There are a few things to understand about these Hella Supertones.....
First, there are 2 different versions!
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/04/imagesqtbnANd9GcSOhNQjZwwRNbVOKHcTIaKa8G-1.jpg
The ones made in Germany
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2013/04/Hella_Supertones_85115_horns_rearjpeg-1.jpg
and the ones made in India. They look the same, but they hit a much different db level! I can't find the notes I made when I tested the 2 pairs with my db meter, but if I recall.... the German units were +/-3 db from the advertised 118db and the India units were in the mid 90 db... that's a huge difference! For the test, they were mounted in the same locations, using the same wiring on the same car, with the car running and the meter was at the same location, ~20 feet away!
The hardware used on the 2 are quite different as the India made ones rust!

The second thing to understand is the volts and the amp draw.... They sound different at 12.5 vdc than they do at 14vdc. Also, they pull alot of amps, advertised at 5.5amps or 66watts at 12vdc, but that is when your battery is low! Since our cars run at 14vdc not 12vdc, those numbers are more like 6.4amps or 89watts! The stock wiring (18g or is it 16g?) probably doesnt deliver what they really need. There is a reason that Hella includes one of their 30amp relays.

I run a pair of the German ones on my moto! A couple of years ago when a tour bus was merging into my lane I had a great opportunity to test them out! The driver window was open and I was 2 feet behind and to the left of the window and laid into them! He was so startled that he put the bus into a nasty swerve at 70mph! A couple of things to understand, I was doing about 65 following at a nice safe distance behind my girlfriends van. The bus driver was passing me on the right and then decided I should give him right of way! So not only did I not regret honking at him, but thoroughly enjoyed it and hope his passengers saw the whole situation and reported him! :twisted:

Sub-Goon
04-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Sorry about the huge pic!