PDA

View Full Version : Rotors are warped

shazapple
07-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Autocross is not very nice to my rotors :( I have two questions about getting new ones (I dont want to get them turned, cause the problem will just reappear)

1) how big of a rim does the GT require? If its 14", then tha means I can keep my winter rims/tires and just swap out my L stuff for GT stuff.

2) Places that sell L sized rotors (or GT if the answer to 1 is 14"). I know they have Brembo replacement rotors on www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) , Opinions?

Plays_with_Toys
07-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I've had brembo rotors and akebono ProACT ceramic pads for the last 2.5 months or 3k miles, and no complaints. A tiny bit of squeel a few weeks ago, though I think that was from dirt when I went and did donuts in a dirt parking lot. Otherwise, good stopping power.

Tris_STi
07-18-2005, 01:08 PM
The problem with keeping stock rotors, is that you're limited in brake power when you've got track wheels/rubber on.
The problem with oversize rotors (BBKs) is that you can no longer slap a 14" winter tire setup on there...

so you've got a choice.

Big rotors, with big tyes, or small rotors and small tyres?

just a thought.

BBKits are the way to go, though.. Just having larger rotors makes all the difference.. have you tried WRX stuff? How about the H6 vented rears? Those are excellent rotors!

shazapple
07-29-2005, 09:56 PM
That pretty much sums up my problem Tris. Ive decided to stay with stock size rotors though. Its too much trouble/money to get another set of winter tires.

also, I foudn these on ebay, but im wary. Theyre too good of a price, plus ive heard some horror stories about ebay rotors.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SR-Drill ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SR-Drilled-Rotors-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-14_W0QQitemZ7990159984QQcategoryZ33564QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

scottzg
07-30-2005, 12:38 AM
crossdrilled rotors are not your friends.

Pwise2326
07-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Cross-drilled rotors have a tendency to crack from the abuses (sounds odd right...) of street driving. For example, you hop on the highway and you're flying at about 80, braking hard here and there, really heating those suckers up, metal expands. You abruptly get off the highway and ride the brakes hard down the exit ramp, temp rises higher. From that point on its slow residential traffic, and those brakes cool off really quick...the metal contracts and "CRACK". Cross drilled are good for racing, but you see how they have to do "warm up" laps to heat up the rotors right, then after the race (keeping them at a nearly consistent temp) they do cool down laps. Street driving doesnt really allow this "procedure". Either way, AT LEAST get yourself some vented rotors for the front and rear, if you really want to eat away your brake pads get slotted, but realistically for the majority of us here with the powerplants we have plainfaced/vented rotors is all we really need. Unfortunately the H6 rear-rotor/caliper bracket upgrade won't work on most legacys IIRC, you need to have "new style" rear calipers which I think came into existence in 99 or 2000 which is why some of the GC guys can use it. I know my 98 has the "older" style rear calipers. See if you can find a wrecked 05 GT and grab the calipers/rotors off that, junkyard fee will probably be a lot less than the 1400 they want for a new set. You might as well just get a 4pot/2pot kit for 300 bucks more.

shazapple
07-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Cool, thanks for the info. Looks like Ill just go ahead and get the brembo replacement rotors off tirerack. The Stealership wants $90 CAD for each rotor :shock: