PDA

View Full Version : Power steering reservoir

warrior
05-23-2007, 05:45 AM
My power steering reservoir looks like crap! So does a lot of my other plastic/metal pieces in my car. I want to spend one weekend taking everything off, sanding, priming and painting with some high heat enamel.

Question is.. how hard is it to remove/install the power steering fluid.. will I make a big mess? Anything fancy I need to know about or is it a direct bolt off/bolt on process?

backpack09
05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
My power steering reservoir looks like crap! So does a lot of my other plastic/metal pieces in my car. I want to spend one weekend taking everything off, sanding, priming and painting with some high heat enamel.

Question is.. how hard is it to remove/install the power steering fluid.. will I make a big mess? Anything fancy I need to know about or is it a direct bolt off/bolt on process?

Easy to remove, 2 bolts. (one is inside the Res.)

Make sure you get a new gasket washer and oring before removal. I did not and now the old ones leaked a lot

Yes you will make a big mess.

If you can, get a turkey baster and suck out the fluid from the reservoir.
Remember to reblead everything when you are done. (turn wheels lock to lock, refill res.)

Wiscon_Mark
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Wouldn't it just be easier to mask everything around it and spraypaint?

backpack09
05-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Easier to paint but more difficult to do well.

I removed mine, cleaned it, hit it with a coat of POR and then sprayed it.

warrior
05-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Wouldn't it just be easier to mask everything around it and spraypaint?

No way.. mine looks like it's got cancer.. so hideous. My engine bay is disgusting.. I'm so disappointed in it :(

I want to remove a lot of stuff and repaint it.. so much easier :D

Huffer
05-23-2007, 12:39 PM
should just buy a new one, paint that and fit it.

backpack09
05-23-2007, 12:57 PM

You got a source for that?

deadlydave
05-23-2007, 01:03 PM
This may be slightly O.T. but all the yellow caps and dipstick handles that are plastic can actually be DYED. "RIT" dye, available in wal-mart, etc, can dye plastic if the water its in is hot enough and you let it sit.

Huffer
05-23-2007, 02:29 PM

You got a source for that?

Sure. Why wouldn't a dealership have a partnumber, and then order it online to (hopefully) save a few bucks?

It's can't be that hard. Either that or grab a used one, clean it up and fit it. :roll:

You of all people I would expect to know that.

backpack09
05-23-2007, 02:50 PM
I checked all of the online Suby vendors when I did mine, none list the res. as a seperate part.

A junkyard swap would be just the same as removing yours and redoing it.

Huffer
05-23-2007, 02:53 PM
it's probably not a commonly replaced part, but as you know, every stinkin' part on a car has a part number, unless it's a standard screw or trim clip. And even those usually have a part number.

Like I said - I'm betting a dealership or online part vendor could get the part number and order it.

Just because it's not online doesn't mean it's not available.
And again, that's something I'd expect someone like you to know.

warrior
05-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Power steering reservoir - #34412AA052 $280 CAN ($100 on subaruparts.com)
O-Ring - #34427AA060 $2

I'm going to stick with taking mine off and painting it :smile: