PDA

View Full Version : Trans issues 90 Legacy AWD

=STAT!XXX=
05-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Ok, after fixing eeeeeverything else that comes w/a car that was parked in the weeds for a year, I'm finally ready to tackle my tranny issues. The car in question is a 1990 Legacy L AWD/Automatic. It's having 2 major transmission issues.

The first: when I put it in reverse, it can take up to 20 seconds to engage, which is very annoying LOL when it was cold this winter it was maybe 5 seconds but now with the warmer weather it's just taking forever.

The second: going around corners, I get the binding issue in the transmission. It's actually feeling bound ALL the time, even when I park when I shut the car off it unbinds and will roll an inch or two, but you can tell there's always tension in the drivetrain. I tried putting a fuse in the FWD connector and it didn't make a bit of difference, which kinda makes me think something is totally stuck in the wrong spot and not moving.

Now once in a great while, it actually will drive normal w/o the binding. It only lasts as long as the car was started, if shut off and restarted the binding comes back.

As far as fluids are concerned, everything was flushed or replaced 6 months ago when I first got the car, so the front/rear/trans fluids have 5000 miles on them.

What I have been able to find as far as what could be causing it seems to point to duty solenoid C being stuck at full power, causing a 50/50 power split all the time. I'm not sure about the slow engagement into reverse, I know I found a recall for a parking pawl but it seems to be more of a fluid pressure issue and not a mechanical one that I am having.

I'm hoping one or a few of you have seen these same symptoms before in a similar vehicle and may have an idea as to what direction to point me in. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks!

=STAT!XXX=
06-10-2007, 09:23 AM
So I stopped at the local Subaru dealer to look into how much some parts would be and got to discussing this with one of the techs. He tossed me a little bottle of Mopar friction modifier and told me to add it and then go drive around in the parking lot in circles. Took care of the binding business, for 6$. LOL! Still slow in reverse and still kicking out a duty c code, at least I can corner now w/o it feeling like the trans is about to jump out of the car.