PDA

View Full Version : had 2 sets of falken 512s, moved up to 452s

ooberdoob
06-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm thinking about getting a set of falken 452s. i've had two sets of 512s, and despite my initial gripe, i grew to like them. i'm running on a new spare right now with 3 other really really worn tires, and my center diff is probably slowly hand grenading.... but i've decided to suck it up and buy tires though this is not exactly an opportune time.

anyone had the 451s or the newer 452s? what do you have to compare them to?

ooberdoob
06-05-2007, 06:06 PM
well, i bought a set.

308, 348 shipped.

205/55/16 V rated.

http://www.vulcantire.com/fk452_t.htm

i found a thread on nasioc praising them, so i went with it. i'll let you know how it goes, i'll post real pics too.

ivwarrior
06-05-2007, 10:31 PM
OK, I've been thinking about getting a set of the 512's. Since you had them before, what was your initial gripe, and would you recommend them?

Plays_with_Toys
06-05-2007, 10:51 PM
I've got falken ziex 512's right now. I LOVE THEM. They grip like no tomorrow. What I don't like is they make the car wander alot on grooved pavement (don't know if you have it where you live, but they use it around colorado for more grip in low traction conditions). Their slick performance seems kind of low. I've braked with them on the skid pad at work and wasn't impressed with their stickiness there, and I haven't yet tried them in snow.

I have 205/55/16's at 38 PSi

ooberdoob
06-05-2007, 11:56 PM
i loved them. when you really grind on them they eat away quickly... but they lasted 15k whereas my dunlop SP5000s only lasted 12k.

my first set had a wierd slapping noise, sounded like shit but i never had a prob with the tire... of course i only had them for 12k. this last set, while driving actual city driving has lasted 36,000mi. stop and go and lots of highway, all in rhode island. that really should put it in perspective for you guys when i say i know good roads in NC.

the second set was great, wore well, rock in the rain, and fun in the dry. stuck better than the dunlops. they were a little mushy and such when new, but i've driven them in a couple inches of snow and did fine. do not count on weak ass AWD and 512s to get you out of a snow bank though. i got stuck. had to get pulled out. that's what i get for thinking awd is almost as good as 4x4.

i've not experieced much wandering, maybe you should get the car realigned?

def great tires to just rip it up with on the back rough roads and not feel terrible about. plus they look pretty sharp too. i almost got them again... for $28 more (total) i got summer tires as since i had my truck i really really wanted to have all out summer tires. if it wasn't that, i'd have gone the 70/tire route and gotten 512s again no doubt.

vulcan tire is good for price, i'll let you know on service.

i'm excited about these 452s though. they look great and supposedly (most importantly)perform incredible for the price.

ivwarrior
06-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Well, I've got snow tires, I won't be counting on these for that. Just looking for something that'll be fun in the dry and good in the rain. Well, as much fun in the dry as you can have in an Outback wagon......

ooberdoob
06-07-2007, 11:53 PM
they are on backorder... i am pissed!!!!

hopefully my SPT will come soon, it'll get my mind off it.

ooberdoob
06-21-2007, 11:29 PM
i have them!!!! i'm so excited, they look SO good!

i'm gonna have them put on in the morning!

ooberdoob
06-22-2007, 06:54 PM
well they are on, i have to set the pressure to what i want and i'm set.

i'm gonna take the civic to western MA tonight, so i'll have to get back to you guys later in the week.