PDA

View Full Version : Full Exhaust? Headers?

jjs316
06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Does anyone make a full exhaust system for a BD? Headers and all the way back?

what all are you guys running that have exhaust?

Wiscon_Mark
06-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Things that bolt on: (for BD/BG/BK)

Headers:
Borla Headers
OBX (Borla) knockoffs
Cobb headers
TWE headers
OBX (cobb) headers

Catalytic converters:
Stromung
Random

Catbacks:
Stromung
All JDM stuff (Fujitsubo, stock GTB, etc) made for the BD/BG

There are more catbacks, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Also something to note: The cobb & OBX knockoffs (that are the Cobb design) eliminate the catalytic converter with their own resonator section, so they won't bolt up to the stock cat, or the other catalytic converters listed, they just skip right to the midpipe section.

Sarra
06-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Borla makes catbacks, and so does SPT. Or at least axle backs.

If you want to go from the block to the muffler tip, you can get TWE stuff. It's expensive, though. I have link if you want.

jjs316
06-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Borla makes catbacks, and so does SPT. Or at least axle backs.

If you want to go from the block to the muffler tip, you can get TWE stuff. It's expensive, though. I have link if you want.

Sure, post the link. ill check them out.

Huffer
06-19-2007, 07:49 AM
TWE = www.techworkseng.com (http://www.techworkseng.com)

Wiscon_Mark
06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Most of the other exhaust stuff (like what I listed) can be found at www.boxer4racing.com (http://www.boxer4racing.com) or on eBay.

mr_choung
06-19-2007, 12:05 PM
still got my custom BD exhaust for sale. pm me yo!

choung

Svenerachi
06-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I've got OBX headers (should be delivered today) with custom catback exhaust, simply mandrel bent 2.25 stainless steel welded to a flowmaster 60 series muffler

much cheaper($250) and i believe better gains (more free flowing muffler) but you'll need an additional resonator most likely, with the headers I'm sure I will since i'll be running catless

you can get it cheaper if you buy the muffler yourself, i think its 60 bucks on ebay, then you just tell them to bend you some pipe and weld that sucker on, shouldn't be more than 150 bucks

jjs316
06-20-2007, 04:30 PM
so anything that will fit an impreza will fit a BD? exhaust wise?

Svenerachi
06-20-2007, 04:33 PM
no, but can be easily modified to fit by an exhaust shop. the midpipe is too short

jjs316
06-20-2007, 04:36 PM
some of the stromung exhausts on boxer4racing have pictures of a mid pipe along with the muffler correct?

and they say "Cat-back Single 3.5" Tip Rear Muffler for Impreza 93-up and Legacy 95-1999, Forester 98-up." so i assumed it would fit.

Huffer
06-20-2007, 05:18 PM
They probably have specific fitments - but call them and check before placing an order.

My custom pipe is way cheaper though - $180 installed.

02LGT
06-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Sorry if this is off topic...

My first question. Should i get the unequal or equal length headers?
It seems to be like equal length would gain 3x performance but I would still like the boxer sound. I've heard clips of unequal vs equal and I definitely prefer unequal sound but what do you guys recommend?

I am currently running an Magnaflow axleback.

My other questions is...if I bolt on an aftermarket header with stock cat and midpipe, would it a) not gain any power b) mess up the way the car runs c) both?? If I could, i would rather keep the stock cat. Maybe change the midpipe and definitely don't want CEL. NY is pretty strict with the OBDII state inspection.

What are your opinions?? Thanks in advance.

Huffer
06-22-2007, 11:15 AM
1. Header type depends on whether you want HP or sound. Unequal headers give a nicer "burble" at the expense of higher RPM power.

2. Adding aftermarket header to stock cat is better than running a stock header - but you won't realise bigger gains without replacing the stock cat with a high-flow version. You will probably trigger a CEL, so buy a spacer just in case.

You can keep the stock cat, but your exhaust will bottleneck there.

warrior
06-22-2007, 12:34 PM
You will probably trigger a CEL, so buy a spacer just in case.

I've read here and there about after market headers causing a CEL.. but what is this magical spacer you speak of? :oops:

Huffer
06-22-2007, 12:58 PM
GP Moto O2 Spacer:

http://www.rallitek.com/raoxsead.html

02LGT
06-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Would the spacer guarantee no more CEL??

Also, which company makes a reliable aftermarket header? both UEL and EL.

rougeben83
06-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Not necessarily, depends on your modifications. If you want to be 100%, use the electronic version of the "fix" which turns off any code coming from the rear 02 sensor (even one that may be caused by an actual problem).

UEL, borlas and the copies are the only game in town. Ironically, the knockoffs have a better track record in terms of reliability (cracked welds mostly) than the Borlas

EL, OBX, Cobb, TWE. The former is the cheapest by a good margin (at least $200 cheaper than the nearest competitor, the cobbs).

With the OBX though, you have to eliminate your stock cat section completely. Either weld a generic hi-flo into the OBX header system or get the electronic fix w/o a cat.

02LGT
06-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks!

Wiscon_Mark
06-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Another note, Cobb doesn't make those headers anymore, however Rallitek has some that are basically the exact same thing.

jjs316
04-08-2008, 11:33 AM

Not necessarily, depends on your modifications. If you want to be 100%, use the electronic version of the "fix" which turns off any code coming from the rear 02 sensor (even one that may be caused by an actual problem).

UEL, borlas and the copies are the only game in town. Ironically, the knockoffs have a better track record in terms of reliability (cracked welds mostly) than the Borlas

EL, OBX, Cobb, TWE. The former is the cheapest by a good margin (at least $200 cheaper than the nearest competitor, the cobbs).

With the OBX though, you have to eliminate your stock cat section completely. Either weld a generic hi-flo into the OBX header system or get the electronic fix w/o a cat.

Would it hurt anything to go catless and do the electronic way of not getting CEL?

What exactly is the electronic way you are talking about?

d1giPhux
04-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Could always wire the CEL light to the seatbelt light or something like that...

decke48
04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
^ still have to trick the computer to not set a CEL. is this electronic way using resitors to lower the voltage so the computer so it think the cat is doing its job?

PA-Outback2000
04-08-2008, 02:46 PM
borla header, random tech cat, stromung catback is the way to go! i will be getting the header this summer, but the 2 pieces that i have are great. the car sounds awesome. the CEL has a chance of coming on after u install headers, but the spacer should work to remove the CEL if u get one. good luck.

4n70n1n0
04-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Sorry to bum off of your thread, but I have a SPT axle back and I want more rumble to my exhaust, but I don't want to buy a new exhaust system. If I get headers will it add more rumble to my exhaust tone? I don't want more power, just rumble ^_^

weird I know

Huffer
04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Would it hurt anything to go catless and do the electronic way of not getting CEL?

What exactly is the electronic way you are talking about?

The electronic method is a wire-in resistor. You just solder it in-line with the rear O2 sensor.

Will it hurt anything? Not likely, unless your car is running poorly and is producing a lot of toxic exhaust. A well-running car is actually better than a badly running car with a new catalytic converter.

PA-Outback2000
04-08-2008, 09:36 PM
4n70n1n0, i forget what u've don so far, but maybe remove the resonator. if u got a catback it should've done this already.

Huffer
04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry to bum off of your thread, but I have a SPT axle back and I want more rumble to my exhaust, but I don't want to buy a new exhaust system. If I get headers will it add more rumble to my exhaust tone? I don't want more power, just rumble ^_^

weird I know

Get a custom-made midpipe with a long resonator. Nothing larger than 2.25" internal diameter.

caoutback
04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Wow, I thought UELs were the way to go when it came to power increase, granted loosing the "boxer rumble" price wise. My plan was an an OBX UEL header and high flow cat with a Hooker Aero Chamber muffler (I like the sound of it) with a TB spacer to "gain" what power I will loose from the Streetlite flywheel I'll be installing with my new clutch. I don't care too much about upper rpm HP/ TQ as compared to lower so I "think" it should work, right?

4n70n1n0
04-09-2008, 09:09 AM

weird I know

Get a custom-made midpipe with a long resonator. Nothing larger than 2.25" internal diameter.

OK, so I get the headers and a custom mid-pipe with LONG resonator. won't it bottle neck when it reaches my axle back section of the exhaust. The axle back piping is 2" diameter. Is bottle necking OK? Does it hurt my car in anyway?

Airgne
04-09-2008, 09:15 AM
got 2.5in all the way from header to muffler no premuffler into a 3in muffler with 4.5 tip. gives good boxer sound when unplugged.

Huffer
04-09-2008, 10:15 AM
OK, so I get the headers and a custom mid-pipe with LONG resonator. won't it bottle neck when it reaches my axle back section of the exhaust. The axle back piping is 2" diameter. Is bottle necking OK? Does it hurt my car in anyway?

It won't hurt the car. Remember the stock system is barely 2" internal diameter (ID) at any point. It's a tiny straw.

Ideally you should maintain a consistent diameter front to back or start small and end slightly bigger.

I have stock headers, stock cat, custom midpipe w/ 05 STi axleback w/ 2.5" tip (IIRC). Sounds fine to me, nice low idle and not over the top when I get on it.
Nothing looks worse than a loud, slow-moving car. :lol:

04-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Nothing looks worse than a loud, slow-moving car. :lol:

oh so true