PDA

View Full Version : Changed Wires....No good

Chicago96GT
06-24-2007, 08:01 PM
So I got NGK wires, and the NGK V-Power plugs, took it out the shop and whoooo i liked it. I dont know if its the wires or the plugs, the guy said i didnt have any bad plugs, but next day im driving and my car felt like it was going to die when taking off from a stop. When i press on the gas it kinda boggles and feels like it wants to die, but doest. Once i get past about 2k RPMS it goes away. It only happens from a stopped point. Also one time i kinda floored it(not all the way) and boy it did not excell at all. Also a few times i felt a few jolts at the stop light like it wanted to die. The mechanic said it could be something with my fuel but this has never happen until i changed this. Also i have a really old battery, well looks old and was wondering if it could be that it doesnt have enough power for the new plugs and wires. Ive heard something about this on here and i think maybe it could be misfiring or something. If anyone knows or has had this prob with this would be great, thanks. Trying to give as much info as i can but dont know much. -Nick

MCarp22
06-24-2007, 08:46 PM
If you're worried about the battery or charging system, i'd take the car in to autozone or somewhere and have it load tested for free.

So the problem with it bogging down started after the plugs/wires were replaced, or was it doing it before they were changed?

Chicago96GT
06-25-2007, 12:22 AM
After the plugs and wires. I've got my codes check like a week ago or so and all i had they said was a knock sensor. Also drove it today and it kinda got worse. Also i noticed some wires where different sizes and was wondering, if they where in the wrong place could this cause any problem? Could changing these make anything malfunction with my fuel? Really feels like my engine is almost dieing now, need help!

Wiscon_Mark
06-25-2007, 09:43 AM
It's possible the firing sequence is off (1-3-2-4 is the correct sequence) or you could just be experiencing fuel issues.

Or maybe your coil pack is going bad. I doubt these plugs and wires are directly involved with this problem (excepting a bad install) but you can always try taking them back and complaining.

LegacyRob
06-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Isn't it if you unhook the battery for a little while it will reset the ECU or something like that? Maybe your getting more spark than the ecu is used to and needs to be reset.

Svenerachi
06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
always a good idea to reset the ecu, see if it fixes the problem

Chicago96GT
06-25-2007, 12:21 PM
I will trying this today as i install my intake :grin: Also could these plugs and wires may have fried my coil pack, maybe it was bad and this just over did it? Again i will reset and see if this does anything. -Nick

Huffer
06-25-2007, 12:34 PM
What did the old plugs look like? Were any of them corroded or badly fouled?

Chicago96GT
06-26-2007, 01:47 AM
What did the old plugs look like? Were any of them corroded or badly fouled? No, well i dont think so. They were actually some ngk spark plugs so they had so have been changed sometime before this. Also i wanted to check my plug as i was doing my cai and i pulled some from the top and one was stuck, i mean stuck so eventually i pulled and ummmmmmm. Well the metal part was stuck in there, couldnt get it out with fingers and had to pull pretty hard with some plyers. What would make this happen or was it just me?
[edit] went to autozone to get replacement for the meantime and they said there was ones for pre may and post june. If i got the wrong ones the first time could this hurt or make my engine run like this? NM checked and it said MFN IN 07/95 and the ngks where for 6/95-5/96

Huffer
06-26-2007, 07:53 AM
So the plug was cross threaded into the head?
And you just ripped it out with pliers?

:shock:

Chicago96GT
06-26-2007, 08:09 AM
LOL did not know why i said plug...ive been doing this all day. I meant wire, i pulled it from the coil pack.

Wiscon_Mark
06-26-2007, 08:51 AM
A plug that's too cold of a spark could be causing all those misfires, so yes, it's possible.

Chicago96GT
06-26-2007, 09:18 AM
i mean i seen a lot of people on here that liked the v-powers. also should i change my plugs again. I am in the process of changing my wires as soon as i get some. Im wondering if they will let me return these and get new ones or will they just blame it on me. Also after this should i trying some different plugs maybe. Its sittin in the garage now and needs to move. I reset the ecu as i was doing my intake and now i cant start her up again witch sucks. Its connected now, will this do anything or can i just wait until my wires. Thanks -Nick

[edit] Can someone tell me the best cheap wires i can get. Need to order tonight so i can get the car out of the garage. A link to them would be nice, Thanks. Is there anyway i could have just got a pair of bad wires or plugs?

Chicago96GT
06-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Bump....If the guys put the wrong wires in the wrong place, because i know there is like wire 1 and so on. They are different sizes but i dont know if this would make a difference. Could this cause the car to run funny? I ordered a new set today overnight so hopefully they will be here tomorrow, or friday and i will be putting them on right when they come so info would be helpful. Thanks Nick

Huffer
06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Match the wire length to how they should be on a stock car.
Stock wires and plugs work very well.

Chicago96GT
06-27-2007, 04:11 PM
See thats the thing, i had ngks put on and i dont know if he put them in the right place. So could this make it run weird? Also do you know off hand witch ones go where? i know the 2 are the same length and the other 2 are the same also. If you could help thanks a lot?

Wiscon_Mark
06-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Like I said, the firing sequence is 1-3-2-4...the injectors fire, and then the plugs spark, so if that's off, yes, your car would run poorly. You have to have it in the proper order.

The coilpack should be laid out exactly the way the plugs are laid out on the engine.

Chicago96GT
06-28-2007, 10:32 AM
I understand now, but the thing is if the guy put them on wrong i dont want to put them on the same way. So do you know if the shorter wire should be on top or bottom or should the shorter wires both be on one side? i know 1 & 3 are the longer ones. Thanks if you know -Nick

bakergtt
06-28-2007, 11:12 AM
The lenght of a wire isnt going to matter. If you put a longer wire on where a shorter one was, it wont matter, it still will get spark.

Check the gap on the plugs? should be about 32-35 i believe.
Check to make sure plugs are seated all the way on the coil pack and plugs? I had one wire not on all the way and it caused simular issues. Make sure you feel a small snap/clamp as you push the wires on.
Checked coil pack?
OEM wires are great, FYI.
Check to see if any vaccum lines were pulled off? Dont just look at the wires, inspect the hole engine and see if you see anything disconected.
Check groundings?

Good Luck

Chicago96GT
06-28-2007, 11:35 AM
OK that helps a lot. So i can just put any wires anywhere? Well i made sure there werent any hoses disconnected, and cheked around to see if anything looked funny, it didnt. I installed my intake so if there was a hose from that that could have been lose is hopefully fixed now. Didnt check the coil pack, any way of me myself really doing this? How do i check the gap on plugs? New to all this but im hoping to goto school for mechanics in the beginning of August so im trying to learn as much as i can before i go in there. Thanks for the help so far. -Nick

bakergtt
06-28-2007, 12:54 PM
You will have to pull your spark plugs and get a gap tool. They are cheap so dont worry (couple of $$)

Just unbolt your coil pack and check the bottom to see if you see any cracks. Thats a sign that its bad. I am not sure how much a new one is, but it wouldnt hurt to get one. Again I have never heard of one going bad.

Does a 96 have o2 sensors? Might check that or the MAF. Just throwing ideas out.

Chicago96GT
06-29-2007, 01:18 AM
Yeah im pretty sure it has sensors. After i get my wires in im going to take my car in and get a diagnostics on my car if its still a. Also i know i need a new knock sensor and im wondering if this could leed to the car working weired?

BTW Bakergtt nice fkn Car

Chicago96GT
06-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Morning Bump. I know this may be to much but is there anyway someone could run out to there car and check there wires to see where the shorter ones is and the longer one? THIS WOULD BE GREAT but i totally understand you guys not wanting to do this. Well i got overnight so my wires will be here shortly and im waiting up for them. Thanks it would be greatly appreciated :grin: -Nick

Wiscon_Mark
06-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Of course it has o2 sensors...all Legacys had 'em.

Chicago96GT
06-29-2007, 12:11 PM
OK i put them on just like 10min ago. Also the ECU was reset and the new intake on. Well started up good and i let it warm up kinda....took it out and had kinda the same problem just not as bad. Pulled it around the block and pulled back into my garage. Let it sit there for about 5min and then took it for another run, it was pretty much gone but im not sure. Seemed to be gone at least. For a second i though my cat was loose but it coulda been the intake. Dont think it was but was thinking this could cause it to bog? I will take it somewhere soon hopefully when my check engine light goes back on. Once you reset the ecu do you need to drive it for a certain amount of time before shutting it back off?

Huffer
06-29-2007, 05:24 PM
If the CEL doesn't come on, then you're good.
No you don't need to drive it a certain amount of time.
The ECU learns anyhoo...

Chicago96GT
06-30-2007, 03:37 AM
No CEL Yet and ive drove it around for a while today. Thanks for the help!

[EDIT] OK i was driving and it happen. It happens when im at a light and kinda trying to jerk it off the line. My belt also started making a kinda high pitched sound but wasnt too loud. Dont know if it was coming from my alternator or my belts. Could the belts be in need of replacing and could this cause the car to bog? Also when sitting at a light my car jerks a little like it might die. Could my idle be too low and cause my car to feel like its going to die and accelerating from that make it not run right? Like maybe while its boggin its sending bad air measruments or somthing? Taking some wild guesses this time because i dont have the money to take it in at this point just to have looked at!
[EDIT] CEL Came on this morning and im going to get the codes pulled asap. Pretty sure its just the knock sensor, Also i think if i just let the car warm up for a while before driving it doesnt happen, what could this mean?

Wiscon_Mark
07-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Maybe it's just because it's an automatic :wink:

Chicago96GT
07-17-2007, 10:41 PM
So this guy at another shop said if it happen right after the plugs and wires and you replaced the wires but nothing changed mean that one of the plugs is tighter than the other three or the other way around maybe. He said all i have to do is just get them put back on at the same trq. Has anyone ever herd of this. Well ima have him do it anyway to see what happens. -Nick

jeremod
07-17-2007, 11:15 PM
You don't happen to be running the A/C while you're driving are you? If you heard belts squealing it could be a problem with the A/C like a bad compressor. This would also explain the bad idle and poor acceleration.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

Chicago96GT
07-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Thanks i had thought about that and i was looking on 2.5rs club, this guy had the same problem but it was when he ran his ac and i thought about it but i dont use my ac anymore. I also cant remember if this started happening after i used the ac for the first time. But yea it happens all the time ac or not. Will see in a few days hopefully.

steven_esworthy
07-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Could it possibly be the alternator going bad, you said there was a squealing sound, correct? If the car is not getting enough voltage it could cause it to bog down. Just my .02.

boxerpower
07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
So this guy at another shop said if it happen right after the plugs and wires and you replaced the wires but nothing changed mean that one of the plugs is tighter than the other three or the other way around maybe. He said all i have to do is just get them put back on at the same trq. Has anyone ever herd of this. Well ima have him do it anyway to see what happens. -Nick no, if the spark plugs were a half a thread out from another one, it wouldnt make any noticable diference at all. and i wouldnt trust half the mechanics in the automotive industry, they set up your car to "break" so they can have more buisness. ( but its always good to have you plugs torqued to specs. because its awfully easy to strip out aluminum heads) :mad:

Chicago96GT
07-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah i do get a little squealing and thought it could be the alternator also. I dont trust ANY mechanic i already know ive worked at plenty of shops and my moms boyfriend is a mechanic so i know all to well how they play there games. This guy is not setting me up he works at a nice custom shop and i know he wouldnt be doing me wrong, he also said he had done this once and it could be my problem. Trust me this guy is not trying to make any money off of me. Well im getting new job soon so as soon as i get a paycheck i will get all this fixed. In the meantime im the guy you will be honking at to go faster :grin: