PDA

View Full Version : AT shift knob question

outbackmike
07-05-2007, 09:22 PM
i want to shange my shift knob on the outback(AT,shhh) but i have no idea on how i will be able to change gears on a knob without the little button on the side,i know there is a spring in the knob.is there any way to make it work on a knob with no button?

Plays_with_Toys
07-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Sybir has a different knob.

Wiscon_Mark
07-06-2007, 12:51 AM
I know you can disable that switch. It's really just a dummy-proof type thing. Just make sure you push the brake to engage the gears, but I'm sure you're in the habit anyways.

shazapple
07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
You can disable it, but the next time someone in the passenger seat swings around and hits it into reverse or park you're fucked

outbackmike
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
i will put metal spikes on the knob,that way no one will even think about hitting it :twisted:

i guess i will figure something out...

Wiscon_Mark
07-07-2007, 06:54 PM
You can disable it, but the next time someone in the passenger seat swings around and hits it into reverse or park you're fucked

I don't know about the Subaru 4EAT, but the honda automatics don't actually let you do anything damaging, regardless of where the shifter is put.

Reason
07-07-2007, 07:15 PM

I don't know about the Subaru 4EAT, but the honda automatics don't actually let you do anything damaging, regardless of where the shifter is put.

I was on the highway and mine got knocked out of drive and then there was clicking and the car shut off. I coast off the highway put it in park shut the car off and started it back up. Then I was on my way.

Huffer
07-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I've shifted into neutral on the highway and then back into D with no problems.

I wouldn't recommend it however.

AJM
07-07-2007, 10:24 PM
There are alot of AT Aftermarket knobs out there with a button.

Maybe a b&M?

jeremod
07-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't think Subaru transmissions have any sort of safety on the 4EATs at least the older (98) ones. My dad accidentally put the trans in reverse at about 35 and it stalled the engine and over-heated the transmission.

It was the first AT he ever owned and he forgot it wasn't a manual and tried to downshift.

Anyways I wouldn't remove the button in case the shifter gets bumped.

Plays_with_Toys
07-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I skid automatic subaru's all the time. there is a stop from neutral to reverse. You can pop between neutral and drive all day. I can't see how anyone could get their auto's to go into reverse without pushing the button in.

96legwag
07-14-2007, 10:58 PM
The "side acting" pushbutton is actually actuating a button in the main shift lever. i have an aftermarket knob from ichiban that has a button in the center of it and it works just fine. Many aftermarket knobs will be slightly undersized (diameter) for the shaft, for some reason? I had to drill mine out slightly to get it to fit. I looked at a bunch of them that all were too small, liked the leather and brushed aluminum look of the ichiban so said the hell with it and just drilled it out.