PDA

View Full Version : What paint to use for interior pieces?

shizznats
07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I decided i want to paint some interior pieces the color of my car, red. Someone on here has done that (pic below). I was wondering what kind of paint to use and what the whole process is (is a clear coat necessary, etc). thanks. Also i have the wood trim so do you guys think painting that red will make it look very different from some of the other regular material dash pieces??

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/07/DSCN0394-1.jpg

Plays_with_Toys
07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
My suggestion would be to only paint your cluster surround. Anything else you want to paint, paint it a flat black with a paint called "trim paint". Or "bumper coating". Both come in black and are very durable. I painted my surround with a white stove paint. I didn't use clear coat but this paint is a super durable enamel. It's what I used on my wheels... If only the paint were resistant to brake dust... :evil:

edit: Oh and there is a website that can send you spray cans of subaru's different paint codes. I don't know the site though, but I'm sure mark or someone can chime in. They almost always do with this website after a paint question is asked.

ooberdoob
07-07-2007, 12:27 PM
if it's bare plastic use Krylon's plastic paint, it's f'ing awesome. when i painted my trim used primer flat and gloss... BAD IDEA. came out pretty half assed.

i just painted it gloss black, in retrospect i'd have just used krylon and been done in half the time.

i sprayed large parts of a playschool race car bed, ya know, with krylon. great stuff.

Huffer
07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I sprayed my radio/HVAC surround with Dupicolor low gloss black. I just wetsanded the peices (after cleaning) and shot the parts with 3 coats. They don't get much wear in my car but they look like new stock parts.

I don't need reflections INSIDE the car ;)

Brockley
07-07-2007, 08:19 PM
mine are replaced with the regular plastics(I painted bronze), not the wood trim. (picked um up at a local junkyard for $3.00)

heres a quick guide to painting ANYTHING basicly... exp. plastics

1. Wash part in warm water with dish detergent. something strong. (note: some of these soaps WILL remove wax/ harm ClearCoats)

2. rinse the part a few times, to prevent any "fisheye" effect from the soap.

3. dry the part COMPLETELY. I use towels and an air hose.

4. most any spray will work the same on plastics. Krylons Fusion are easier, and stick easier, but if you prep the part well, any work fine.

5. before you paint the part,you may want to use an adhesion promoter. there is stuff called "bullydog" its a clear spray and makes paint stick to plastics very easily (you can buy it, or similar products at most any paint store)

6. I dont use any primer for most colors. usually a few light coats of the color you are painting will completly cover the part, but Primers will make life easier. such as white or a metallic paint, use some primer. black, and darker colors, you can usually fudge it. but this is where you prime the part if you want to.

7. First coat. Light coat of color.

8-10. a few more light coats. wait 10-15 between coats.

11. Clear coat. please... use a clear coat unless you want the OEM black parts. it makes the color look 1000000 times better. makes it look professional.

12. wet sand the clear if its bubbled or not smooth, and apply another coat if needed.

13. wait a few hrs to handle the parts. I dont care if the can say "dry to touch in 10 min" you will leave fingerprints...

thats basicly it. very easy... It all depends on how long/ well you PREP the part.

deadlydave
07-07-2007, 09:47 PM
I'll second uberdoob, I painted very little of my interior, but the Krylon for Plastics worked very well for the center console.

I used Duplicolor Wheel Paint for my radio surrounds, cupholder front, and HVAC surrounds. It matches my wheels. It's also stood up to quite a beating, but soda spills and scrubbing chipped a few pieces off.

shizznats
07-08-2007, 12:00 AM
thanks a lot guys this all helps a lot. Im gonna get it done tomorrow and ill try to take some pics and see how it comes out.

JPaul99GT
07-15-2007, 07:09 PM
but soda spills and scrubbing chipped a few pieces off.

Bottles close tightly and eliminate spillage ;P

rougeben83
08-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I think the plasti-dip stuff is good. As long as it's flat black (they do offer other colors, but selection is very few).

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/08/HPIM1765-1.jpg

sheepdog
08-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Yea Plasti-dip FTW. I did a writeup on here on how to spray interior pieces with it a few months ago, you should search and try and dig it up.