PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Leggy GT hood questions

deadlydave
07-22-2005, 09:32 PM
My friend has a 2000 Leggy GT, and he was wondering a few things.

-Did any 2000 GT's have hoods with scoops stock?
-Why didn't some of them come with scoops?
-Where can he get a hood with scoop that will fit his '00 GT?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pwise2326
07-22-2005, 10:41 PM
For whatever reasons, Subaru figured that since the scoops on the BD/BG's were vestigal and SOA realized that sales of the higher end GT and OB models suffered due to styling points (the scoops) that most family-sedan and wagon buyers/owners didn't feel were necessary, they made a change to keep the scoops out of the lineup unless they were for function (hence why not found on the 2002+ RS, and 2000+ legacy's that weren't turbocharged = no TMIC = no use for scoop. Long story short, they wanted to legacy to look more mature and sophisticated next to the sportier Impreza flagship that your grandmother could drive around in. Sales jumped in the BE/BH years...is that the sole reason why, probably not, but the numbers are still there. Regardless, there is hope for you neglected BE/BH owners that want to resemble your B4 counterparts in JDM land...the Baja which was subaru's hackjob of turning a legacy into a Brat flashback brought a turbocharged engine and hence the scoop back to existence. The Baja hood is exactly the same as your BE/BH's hood with the exception of a SCOOP! So if your friend is looking for a scoop tell him to search the junkyards or -- pray tell -- visit a dealership and purchase a Baja hood with the scoop.

scottzg
07-22-2005, 10:44 PM
.the Baja which was subaru's hackjob of turning a legacy into a Brat flashback brought a turbocharged engine and hence the scoop back to existence.

:lol:

HFSDevil
07-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Or do what I am going to do........

Cut out the scoop from a wrecked Legacy, buy a BE hood in primer, cut the same section out, weld the scopp in, and BAM. You got 2 hoods now :D

Sounds like more work, cuz it is, but thats my plan :D

deap9
07-23-2005, 04:29 AM
Yes I was being a lazy bastard and did not register for an account. I decided it would be nice to have an account at such a friendly environment..... alright enough of that bullshit.

I just got my legacy 2 months ago and I am looking to make it more sexy and sporty. The first mod I did was the head unit and XM radio. I put in a Pioneer DEH-470MP w/XM direct. Let me know if you have any good relatively cheap ideas. I am thinking about adding cold air intake and a new filter.

Pwise2326
07-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the site! Just for future reference, this section is for help on bodywork and styling, so we can help you here with your hood dilemma, as far as the intake and other mod help ideas go, please post in their respective sections. Now that my admin duties are covered...

HFS -- why bother with all of that extra work when you can get a factory made hood that will fit perfectly?? You'll probably spend a couple hundred bucks on each hood alone...combine the cost of the two and you'd probably only have to throw in an extra 50 bucks to get the baja one. Unless you have welding and moulding skills ala bgwagon, I'd say leave it to the professionals -- but then again kudos for wanting to DIY.

Deap -- best bet would be to get the baja hood, if you want more styling ideas for the BE your best bet would be to look accross the pond to our aussie and kiwi friends, first one that comes to my mind is Haplesspete. You can check out some pictures of his car in the Member Rides I section or Ride of the month June I believe. Thats how your Legacy should look, but unfortunately for us, the USDM BE's were made into grannie-mobiles.

For a list of vendors that have parts for your car, check out the vendor links section, you should be able to find everything you are looking for!

HFSDevil
07-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Well I already have the 1 hood with the scoop (free) and I can buy another hood for my car from this local place for $125.

The welding/moulding will be no problem becuase my really good friend is master mechanic at body/car shop and its going to be our little project. Also I know a thing or 2 about welding/bondo work :D

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

badbasser98
07-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I'd just buy a Baja hood... They come in some of the same colors. Probly cost the same as custom making one, and be less headache.

This is the route I am taking. :wink:

-BB98