PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid

warrior
07-18-2007, 09:45 AM
I think I did something bad..

My steering has been making some whining noises in the morning so I checked the fluid and it was low. I went to wal-mart, grabbed some power steering fluid and topped it up! From what I've always recalled, power steering fluid has been red but this one was clear.. then I looked at the cap on the reservoir and it says "Use ATF Dexron Fluid"

Will this break anything?? :-(

steven_esworthy
07-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Well, considering that your power steering fluid was low, you probably have a leak somewhere. If it is not leaking somewhere at the pump/reseservoir you will need to probably clean and then check the rack. You should be able to pull the power steering lines(or use a syringe or vacuum pump) and drain the reservoir and replace it with ATF... You should generally change your power steering fluid about every 2 years anyways.

warrior
07-18-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't think it's ever been replaced.. I shall do that sometime soon.

02LGT
07-18-2007, 10:53 AM
How do you replace powersteering fluid? Is it same kinda deal as clutch and brake bleeding?

warrior
07-18-2007, 12:36 PM
How do you replace powersteering fluid? Is it same kinda deal as clutch and brake bleeding?

You have to suck it out with a syringe or vacuum.. there's no place to bleed it or drain it as the rack is self bleeding ;)