PDA

View Full Version : 2005+ legacy question

hckryeighty8
07-29-2007, 06:36 PM
ive been in the market now for a new legacy and i work at a dealership so i can get a good deal so price isnt my biggest concern. does anyone have any idea what the specs on 0-60 are on a ej253 2.5i legacy??? i am very familiar with the GT because they are posted everywhere. everyone seems to overlook the 2.5i tho and no sites give any info.

also how effective are mods like intake and exausht on a 2.5i, i know the GT results are stellar but again no info on a 2.5i any where

any help is appreciated

SilentRacer
07-29-2007, 08:20 PM
0-60 times for manual is 9 seconds and 10 for auto.

Bdubs
07-29-2007, 10:11 PM
The car lacks in the low end. If you are looking for any kind of performance upgrades, don't look at the 2.5i. Its a great commuter car and handles exceptionally well, good on gas too.
Just not meant to be a HP creating machine. Aftermarket is next to nothing for the car as well. intakes and exhausts can be custom fit, but nothing directly bolt on.

hckryeighty8
07-30-2007, 12:04 AM
yea i knew the 2.5i isnt a power machine jsut looking for a general idea, liek i said i work at a dealership so i can get a good price but the insurance is the thing i cant afford, still 1000$ cheaper than a wrx even for the GT

thanks for the help

Wiscon_Mark
07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
The car lacks in the low end.

It's a 4 cylinder, I don't know what you're expecting :lol:

I always thought the Boxer engine had pretty decent low end oomph for the displacement and weight.

SilentRacer
07-30-2007, 01:47 AM
As far as non-turbo 4 cyls with awd and comfortable interiors go......legacy's are right up there.

Huffer
07-30-2007, 07:52 AM
ive been in the market now for a new legacy and i work at a dealership so i can get a good deal so price isnt my biggest concern. does anyone have any idea what the specs on 0-60 are on a ej253 2.5i legacy??? i am very familiar with the GT because they are posted everywhere. everyone seems to overlook the 2.5i tho and no sites give any info.

any help is appreciated

I thought you said you worked in a dealership? You should have all that information and more...

hckryeighty8
08-03-2007, 03:48 PM
yea i do, but see you guys said the same thing that people at the dealership said. and that was that 0-60 is about 9 give or take. now the dealership i work at also sells toyotas and a matrix with a 130hp 1.8 does 0-60 in like 9.4. And driving both each day the subie just seems to rocket past it, bby much more than .4 seconds.....

wtf is with that

i know the awd takes away and weight but still. jesus christ it jsut doesnt seem right

Huffer
08-03-2007, 04:03 PM
yea i do, but see you guys said the same thing that people at the dealership said. and that was that 0-60 is about 9 give or take. now the dealership i work at also sells toyotas and a matrix with a 130hp 1.8 does 0-60 in like 9.4. And driving both each day the subie just seems to rocket past it, bby much more than .4 seconds.....

wtf is with that

i know the awd takes away and weight but still.

Can you accurately measure .4seconds? I know I can't, at least not 100% of the time.

If you want straight out speed, don't buy a Subaru. :lol:

hckryeighty8
08-26-2007, 09:45 PM
its not about measuring .4 of seconds, the whole point i was making was i think the posted 0-60 times for the 2.5i are trash. i was just wondering if anyone had any solid evidence showing they are faster than 9 seconds

AJM
08-26-2007, 10:02 PM
You can do stuff for it, like cams, heads, etc...but why? Save some $$$ up and get a GT.

Wiscon_Mark
08-27-2007, 09:51 AM
its not about measuring .4 of seconds, the whole point i was making was i think the posted 0-60 times for the 2.5i are trash. i was just wondering if anyone had any solid evidence showing they are faster than 9 seconds

that's because the EJ25 has a much nicer torque curve than the Matrix 1.8L - it feels a lot faster, even if it's not. If you keep the revs up on the 1.8L engine, it can be fairly quick, but around town, the Subaru will feel a lot nicer.

Perception is everything - N/A Subarus have never been fast, but that's okay, they still feel strong. At least for a 4 banger :lol:

rougeben83
08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Yeah, what you were noticing was basically the extra displacement that the subbie motor has over the 1.8l toyota's. The toyota's are high revving motors, and make that 160hp near their redline (iirc, like 6-7k), while pretty much not having a lot of torque near the bottom.

The 2.5l motor, while making the same power, has more torque down low, so that extra bit of punch you have from a stop gives the perception of extra power.

Now, it's not just a matter of perception either, I don't want to give you that impression. From 0-30 or something, the subaru may well out accelerate a similar HP car but with less displacement, simply because the engine is indeed bigger.

legacy92ej22t
08-27-2007, 04:52 PM
I have an '07 2.5i. It's 175 chp stock. Down low it's crap but once you hit 3k rpm it actually pulls nice all the way to redline. If you keep it above 3k all the time then it performs pretty well.

Wiscon_Mark
08-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I have an '07 2.5i. It's 175 chp stock. Down low it's crap but once you hit 3k rpm it actually pulls nice all the way to redline. If you keep it above 3k all the time then it performs pretty well.

compared to a 1.8L toyota I bet it's not "crap" :lol:

You also have an automatic - with a manual the N/A Subarus feel so much stronger.

Manarius
09-01-2007, 11:04 PM
The SVX has nice pickup for a nearly 2 ton car - but it also has 230 chp.

If you want a "go fast" car, don't get N/A. It just isn't worth your time. Get turbo, bolt on, and go fast.

Tall BG5
09-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I've got an '06 limited that I feel has a serious issue as far as power/ mileage goes....... average of 16.5 mpg and slow as death off the line. The dealer has reflashed the trans. ecu twice but its no better. I t feels as if the torque converter never unlocks. They told me that I just need to deal with it or trade the car in for an '08 or a turbo/3.0r if I wanted something that felt better off the line....... anyway I decided to messure its' 0-60 time a couple of days ago, and boy was I right about how slow it is 10.8 seconds on a cool dry morning (67 degrees).Mine has the 4spd. auto with sport shift, garbage in my opinion. It wouldn't bother me as much if it got better gas mileage, my wife drives it 1.25 miles to work and back everyday, and it sees nothing but highway cruising on the weekends, should deffinetley get better than 16.5.

Sorry for the rant, but just thought I'd share my experience with you

Later
James

Bdubs
09-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I've got an '06 limited that I feel has a serious issue as far as power/ mileage goes....... average of 16.5 mpg and slow as death off the line. The dealer has reflashed the trans. ecu twice but its no better. I t feels as if the torque converter never unlocks. They told me that I just need to deal with it or trade the car in for an '08 or a turbo/3.0r if I wanted something that felt better off the line....... anyway I decided to messure its' 0-60 time a couple of days ago, and boy was I right about how slow it is 10.8 seconds on a cool dry morning (67 degrees).Mine has the 4spd. auto with sport shift, garbage in my opinion. It wouldn't bother me as much if it got better gas mileage, my wife drives it 1.25 miles to work and back everyday, and it sees nothing but highway cruising on the weekends, should deffinetley get better than 16.5.

Sorry for the rant, but just thought I'd share my experience with you

Later
James

Sounds like you need to go elsewhere, if they are trying to get you to buy another car, rather than find answsers to the one you currently have.

Wiscon_Mark
09-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Dude, 1.25 miles to work isn't even enough to get the car warmed up. She's driving it in open fuel loop the whole time. No wonder you're getting such bad milage.

As for "off the line" you shouldn't have bought an automatic. They all suck off the line unless they're mated to a V8. Automatics are designed to start the car in second gear unless you floor it, and even then, they sometimes still don't kick it in 1st.

Test drive a manual Legacy 2.5i before you form an unfair opinion about the car.

Huffer
09-06-2007, 12:17 PM
1.25miles - shoot, she should ride a bike.

Tall BG5
09-06-2007, 12:29 PM
she wont drive standard, and her 1995 nissan 240 with 235,xxx miles gets 26+/- mpg with the same driving routine. The off the line that I'm talking about isn't drag racing. I'm mean it's scary to try to merge into 30 MPH traffic, it really is that slow. It has a bad hessitation when you first get on it, as if the torque converter doesn't unlock, or its not shifting down to first gear.... causing a 2-3 second delay between throttle application and the car even making forward progress. It just bogs and creeps forward, then takes off like you just pounded it to full throttle....I was more put off by the fact they told me to just deal with it or trade on another car, I've bought 3 brand new vehicles from the same dealer, and now they are gonna tell me to just deal with it!!! My 1999 Legacy GT wagon with over 180,000 on it is more of a pleasure to drive than the 06 limited because of its hessitation.

Just my experience with the new legacy, I'm sure alot of people are totally happy with theirs, and I might just trade on a 3.0R if they get..we'll see

Later
James

Huffer
09-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Reset the ECU... the TCU is just the shifting logic - if there's a problem with the ECU then the TCU won't do much.

Ask the dealer to replace the ECU, and/or go for a ride with you in the car.
Then do a back-to-back comparo with the same year model car.

Bdubs
09-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Don't waste the money on a 3.0r. They aren't peppy at all, and the car feels even slower than the 2.5i. Go GT.

Huffer
09-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Better yet, go buy a Honda. Way better pickup, better MPG out the door and cheaper on tires.

I'm so impressed with my wife's 03 Accord, can you tell?

Wiscon_Mark
09-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Better yet, go buy a Honda. Way better pickup, better MPG out the door and cheaper on tires.

I'm so impressed with my wife's 03 Accord, can you tell?

IMO, our 2002 Civic is dead slow with a 4EAT unless you rev it up. It can be kinda fun then.

But yeah, as much as people rag on them, Hondas are great cars, and can be very peppy.

The 3.0R probably doesn't feel very fast because of the shift logic and the extra weight.

Sarra
09-07-2007, 02:22 AM
My 1998 LGT has that same exact issue, except it is a manual. The problem is that the engine doesn't warm up enough. Have her buy a remote start kit, and press the button to start the car 4-6 minutes before she gets in it to get to work.

Tall BG5
09-07-2007, 08:10 AM
It has a remote starter already..... I've gone through every little trick that I can think of... but anyway I don't want to continue jacking the thread that was actually started here.........so hckry the car is slow in NA form with the AT

hckryeighty8
09-12-2007, 11:35 PM
yea its seems that way, i may jsut go down the ej20 route with an 04 rex. wagon of course. got a quote for the wrx today, 19/M....3800$ a year no faults..

where is my bike again?

thanks for the imput guys