PDA

View Full Version : Center diff on an auto impreza?

Lostagain
07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm trying to find some info. This is for an automatic '97 Impreza I bought a few weeks ago. It has a shudder when making tight turns. I assume it's caused by the plates in the center diff grabbing. I have changed the fluid in both the front and rear diffs and that didn't help. It's not bad but I'm afraid it may hurt something in the long run. Where is the center diff located on this car and is it something I can service or even check?

Huffer
07-31-2007, 10:01 AM
You have torque bind.

2 possible causes:

1. transfer clutch packs are burning up - solution is to change the AT fluid and drop in a bottle of Lubegard ATF protectant to lower the overall temp of the AT.

2. the dutyC solenoid INSIDE the transmission has fried, and requires replacing. This is a "drop the transmission, crack the case" job.

Option 1 is the cheapest, and if done quickly can solve your problem.
(it did for me)

Lostagain
08-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Changed the trans fluid today. I picked up a bottle of the lube guard. It worked! Torque bind is completely gone and the tranny shifts a lot smother (had some hard shifts when it was cold). The fluid was pretty nasty. I'd say it had never been changed. The car has 118K on it. Thanks Huffer!

Huffer
08-11-2007, 12:49 PM
No worries! :)