PDA

View Full Version : tranny flush

belladonna
04-14-2005, 09:20 AM
i don't think the transmission has been serviced in years (possibly since it was conceived)...so what do you guys think i should do....take it to a garage and have them do a full tranny flush? or just drain it and drop the pan myself...

galek_98gt
04-14-2005, 12:01 PM
i'm assuming its automatic. it would be more cost efficient and not to hard to do if you do it yourself.

belladonna
04-14-2005, 03:32 PM
yes, it's an auto :?
i would like to do it myself, i'm just wondering if the diy job will be as good as the shop's?

Reason
04-14-2005, 03:48 PM
I wanted to bring my car to Subaru and flush out the tranny too. I heard its not good to do a flush and new filter. I dont understand why someone would say its a bad thing. Why would someone want sludge to cover any problems in the tranny??

bln scub
04-14-2005, 05:36 PM
ya i dont get why any1 would not want it done, if it uncovers a problem by cleaning it, the problem was there. it woud just be hiding for a little longer.

i had my filter and flush done at 80,000 miles. it was part of my planed 90,000 mile service.

bln scub

galek_98gt
04-16-2005, 01:01 AM
what about for manual? how hard to do differential fluid?

SmoothLegacy
04-16-2005, 10:03 PM
For a manual its pretty easy. Jack up the front and unscrew the drain plug. On my 01 i found it best to cover the exhaust pipes with aluminum foil, or else it would spill all over the exhaust. You dont even want to know how bad that smells as the old oil burns off. :banghead: To fill get a long funnel and pour through the trans dipstick.

sheepdog
04-17-2005, 03:00 AM
If you dont feel like doing it, you can just have jiffy lube do it, even do an actual pressure cleaning of its internals. This is for engines, but the concept is the same for trannys too

http://www.redwoodgeneral.com/flush.htm

Perdue
06-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but it's usually bad to flush the tranny...The 4 or so quart change (where they just drain what's in the pan and top it off) did well for me. Subaru Techs themselves have told me multiple times not to flush it, as it can make it start to slip. Changing the fluid like I had done every 30k is good, but don't change the filter unless you're having problems.

Tokio
06-12-2005, 04:03 PM
geez, i would hate to start an argument, but let me set the record straight:

the only time you never want to flush ANY auto tranny is when said tranny has not been flushed in over +100k or so miles. the reason is this: by flushing an abused tranny you stir up LOADS of filth and junk and shavings that have otherwise settled in a bed of gunk. Once youve flushed said tranny, those particles that have been disturbed will cycle themselves throughout the tranny causing massive damage and resulting in the need for a new tranny in a matter of days.

if your tranny has been well kept, by all means change the fluid to your hearts content! be sure not to use more or less than the prescribed amount. also, synthetic is not a bad thing.

ALSO: be sure to have your torque converter flushed as well (if the torque converter is found to be bad, have it replaced not refurnished!!!)... and always get a new filter with your flush!!!

unfortunately, i happen to be ASE certified in auto trannies... and have seen bad things happen to them from shops who are clueless.

belladonna
06-12-2005, 05:27 PM
it's okay to ressurect the thread because some great information came out of it...
i don't belive my tranny has ever been flushed and it does have 116,000 on it...

Tokio
06-12-2005, 06:48 PM
that sucks bella, all you can do is drive it til it dies...pick up a new tranny for $500... and off you go.

Pwise2326
06-12-2005, 07:05 PM
...and while you're at it pick up a 5MT and do the conversion! I just changed the fluid in my 5MT over to redline synthetic. Don't know when it was changed last by the previous owner (probably never) and wasn't even registering on the dipstick (which you'll need to remove the plenum box to get to it easier, its on the passenger side of the transmission, yellow in color, you'll definatly need a long funnel to reach it and fill the tranny up). The rear differential was a pain to fill back up, best thing to do would be to use one of those old school oil can things or a small water bottle (cleaned and dried) to manuever underneath better, without having a vaccum pump to get it up there, you'll figure out how to make do.

Perdue
06-13-2005, 05:22 PM
that sucks bella, all you can do is drive it til it dies...pick up a new tranny for $500... and off you go.$500?? where have you been looking? For a new/rebuilt 4EAT, I've only been able to find prices ranging from 3-5k...

Tokio
06-13-2005, 05:44 PM
maine is the land of subarus... :-D

...anything outside of a 98-99 DOHC ej25 is EASY to come by...

and theres always ebay...

belladonna
06-13-2005, 07:19 PM
and i have a junkyard 1 1/2 hours away that does dollar days ;) with a whole line of 1st gen. roos
yeah, i will be swaping in a manual tranny into my car at some point. i just need to start getting the parts around to do it...

Tokio
06-13-2005, 10:17 PM
dollar days?!?!?!?

DO tell!

belladonna
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
you pay $25 to get in and then whatever you can pull is your's for a dollar...simple as that really...they also do specials during the month where you can get an entire engine for $50, tranny set-ups for $30 and rims for $6 a piece...

so i went through all the records that came with the car and one said it had the atf and screen replaced at 28,000.... :?

Tokio
06-14-2005, 02:11 PM
wow... i might be making a trip to this junkyard!!! you said they have lots of first gen's...any 2nd or thirds too???

thats too bad about the your tranny...what color/consistency is the fluid? if you rub the fluid between your fingers...can you feel any grit?

belladonna
06-15-2005, 12:22 PM
um...not so many 2nd gens and definately nothing beyond that...even the rexs that get totaled go to another yard for resale as a r-title...

so the fluid is a golden color. not great. but there isn't any grit in it from what i can tell...my dad is going to show me how to flush the coolent system out tomorrow so i'm thinking we'll drain the tranny and drop the pan tomorrow too. we'll see.

Tokio
06-15-2005, 06:40 PM
good luck!