PDA

View Full Version : strange A/C problem!!!!?? please help!

88rxn/a
08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
i havent had A/C since i bought this car last november..... when i press the button to turn it on the button doesnt lite up?? also my compressor doesnt kick on and off?? any suggestions where to start?? would lack of refrigerant cause the button to not lite up or the compressor to kick off and on??
95 subaru legacy

Huffer
08-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Electrical problems. Lack of refrigerant wouldn't cause the AC compressor to fail to switch on.

Could be anything between the AC relays, a blown fuse, the HVAC control unit.

88rxn/a
08-15-2007, 04:19 PM
so your saying i got quite the list to go from??LOL
well, first i did check all the fuses. they were fine.i should be able to check one of the wires going to the button to see if it has power right?? then hit the button and see if the other wire gets power....maybe that could be a starting point?

Huffer
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Something like that. I stumbled across an AC diagnostic from a dealer once - it's pretty in depth. I'm probably just going to take it to a dealer...

ProdriveDreams
08-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Thats simply not true!!! lack of refrigerant ABSOLUTELY will stop the compressor from turning on. A/C systems have a low pressure switch and a high pressure switch, the high pressure switch prevents the compressor from overpressurizing the lines and heat exchangers so you dont break something. The low pressure switch prevents damaage to the compressor from lack of PAG oil to lubricate it, and also prevents further spewing harmful refrigerant into the atmosphere.

Your light not turning on is most likely simply a bulb in the HVAC unit, i do not remeber how easy it was to do for me, but i assume it was not easy becaqsue everything else about that damn unit is not too easy, not too say that you couldnt do it yourself... just itll be a pain.

Likely you do just need a charge, but there could be a leak somewhere. Dont use one of those kits from an auto parts store. Be responsible and take it to a shop equipped to properly handle refrigerant. Those kits dont remove and clean the old refrigerent they simply top it off, leaving all hte old water collected in the receiver/dryer and in hte lines. Nor do they check for leaks. additionally those kits rarely add more compressor oil, essential to the continued life of your compressor.

Huffer
08-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Give us some pointers on how to determine if there is a lack of refrigerant if the button is pressed in on the HVAC control module and the compressor doesn't kick on.

The diagnosis procedure in the FSM is about 12 pages long...

ProdriveDreams
08-20-2007, 12:53 AM
ill have a looksie under the hood tomorrow for things like connectors and what not, so i can point you guys in the right direction.

Huffer
08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
^^ I appreciate the assist!

Lostagain
09-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Jump the low pressure switch. If the compressor kicks on then you have low refregerant. The switch on my '93 is a two part switch. One side triggers the fans and the other is the low pressure sensor. It has 4 contacts. Two of them are for the low pressure. I'm not sure if the '95 would be the same as the '93 but I could snap a pic or two and describe how to do it. I had to do it to convert mine over to 134a.

ProdriveDreams
09-15-2007, 01:21 PM
sorry for such a rediculous delay i had to move and then i had a two week vacation where i drove out to burning man in black rock nevada. but NOW im back adn not so busy. So if your still struggling you could try disconnecting the one connector to the comprossor, should be right on top of the compressor, just one wire. Then jump that compressor to the battery, if you hear a click it works. if not then your electromagnetic clutch is shot and you need a new compressor.

So if that does click then your problem lies elsewhere, try jumping the lowpressure switch like lostagain said, if this works then it is ALMOST definitely lack of coolant, which may just need a recahrge but likely has a leak in the system somewhere. Unless of course it just so happens to be the lowpressure switch, but thats not very likely.