PDA

View Full Version : Winter Wheels

jmgtp
07-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I like the factory wheels on my GT way too much to put them through winter. I want to go to the junkyard and get some steelies from another Subaru (ya winter is still a long way off). Does anyone know if the bolt pattern and offset from any 5 lug Subaru will bolt up? Must also take into consideration of the disc brakes and what minimum diameter wheel will clear the rotors/calipers?

I'm probably going to opt for a not too expensive set of all season tires. Snow tires are great in the snow but when theres no snow they're noisy and don't handle so nice. Anyways with the awd I think I'll be more than ok as long as there is tread on the tires.

-john

Pwise2326
07-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Most steelies should fit (find a set off an L), the bolt pattern for all older subarus (minus the SVX and newer STI's) is 5x100, You shouldn't have any problems finding a set. Get a set of Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S's or Falken Azenis ZX12 or something like that, those are some of the best all seasons out there for ya and they cost right around 100 bucks a tire which isn't too bad.

scottzg
07-27-2005, 08:11 PM
you need a 15" rim with 5x100 and more than a ~48mm offset. There isn't much other than scooby wheels that fit, but wrx rims go for dirt cheap.

Jonathan
08-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Most steelies should fit (find a set off an L), the bolt pattern for all older subarus (minus the SVX and newer STI's) is 5x100, You shouldn't have any problems finding a set.

Just to clarify (and slightly contradict Pwise2326) here. Any Impreza or Legacy (1990 - 2004) wheel will have the correct lug nut spacing and off-sets, however Stock Legacy GTs REQUIRE at least a 15" wheel. The 14" wheels will NOT clear the brake calipers !

Going with a full-blown snow tyre makes sense if you are in areas with heavy snow fall amounts or frequently drive in such areas where they dont plow the roads especially promptly.

Getting an "all-season" radial just for winter use is (IMHO) perhaps a bit of a mistake, instead I would recommend a high-performance "Winter Tyre" instead. Such tyres offer longer tyre wear than a full blown snow tyre, while still providing "acceptable" if not great performance in snow, and also will run well on dry pavement even when driven fairly aggressively. given that most of us who live in the snow belt drive on basically "DRY pavement" conditions 85% (or more) of the time then these are the tyres I would recomend. Nokain NRW winter tyres are perhaps the best of these class of tyres although they are fairly expensive.

jmgtp
08-08-2005, 07:18 PM
The main reason I wanted winter wheels was to preserve the factory wheels from winter road hazards (dirt, salt, etc). I've never really had that much of a problem in the snow even with fwd cars as long as there was decent tread on the tires, so awd I'm sure won't be much of an issue as long as the tires are good. I was leaning away from snow tires because I've driven cars with them in the past and while they are great in the snow the other 90% of the time in the winter they're noisy and they make the car feel sloppy, especially on the highway when compared to regular tires but that is the tradeoff of course. I'll consider the winter tires that Jonathon recommended. I haven't even picked up another set of wheels yet - haven't had much time lately.

Jonathan
08-09-2005, 06:21 AM
I haven't even picked up another set of wheels yet.
I would avoid "steel wheels". Steelies can get bent awfully easily on minor potholes (especially under heavy braking). I would like to suggest getting a set of used "WRX" wheels. Folks on Nabisco often times will sell a set of four of their "scuffed" and "curbed" WRX wheels for like $~200 (or less) when they opt for a set of larger sized aftermarket tyres and wheels.

scottzg
08-10-2005, 04:35 AM
"steel" wheels are "easily" "bent" back in to "shape"