PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny HELP!!!

blueb3
08-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

While accelerating onto the freeway in my 96 Legacy L wagon w/ AWD I was doing ~65 when the engine felt like it over-revved for about 1 second, then, the car shut off. Freaking out, I instantly popped it into nuetral while getting off the road. At about 45 mph (still coasting in Nuetral) I started the car back up. Started on the first try, so I thought maybe since I was low on fuel that it became gas starved and cut out (wishful thinking) I then pulled the shifter back to "D" and rolled onto the the throttle. Nothing happened except the engine revving. It acted like it was still in Nuetral. I came to a full stop, put the car in park, and rowed through the shifter, nothing caught; no reverse, no forward gears. Turned off the car, banged my head on the steering wheel for a minute or 5 and restarted and tried again. Still nothing.

I guess my question is this: Is there anything I can check or try before taking it to a transmission shop and having them charge me through the nose?

Cliff Notes: Auto Tranny failed, no gears will engage, shifter moves smooth, please help.

shazapple
08-23-2007, 01:44 PM
fluid! the dipstick is by the firewall

blueb3
08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
fluid level is fine. Was first thing I checked after the Tow Truck Driver dropped the car off.

SPR
08-23-2007, 02:46 PM
well if you checked the tranny fluid and your not a tranny guy, there isnt really anything you can check. i mean pull the tranny out and open it up and look, but if you dont have the tools or mechanical ability to be able to do that, its not going to be much help.

i would also maybe think about finding a good used tranny and just having it swapped out. can be a lot cheaper than a rebuild, but then agian who knows how long its going to last, atleast with rebuilds a lot of them have warranty.

blueb3
08-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Very true. Going to try a fluid top off, and see if that helps. It's on the low side, and someone from another forum replied with "First thing I'd be checking is the ATF level or if any fluid is leaking out. Could be a cooler hose burst and let enough ATF out that the pump is sucking air and thus can't engage the transmission anymore. "

Huffer
08-23-2007, 03:12 PM
So the car starts - which means it believes the transmission is in P, or N.

Check the shifter release button (the emergency one, on the side of the shifter column at the base).

Can you move the shifter through all gears without pressing the button in?

I would dismantle the interior, to see if perhaps the shifter linkage is broken.

You could also try dropping the pan off the transmission and seeing if anything is borked in there.

blueb3
08-23-2007, 03:21 PM
In resonse to your questions:

Car only starts in P or N

Still have to have break pedal depressed, and button pushed in to move it out of park

no, button still has to be depressed to drop it into "1" "2" and "R" "P" so all that seems to be fine.

I'm going to go beat my head on it for a bit after work, and hopefully get it either working, or burnt to the ground. Not sure at this point.

SPR
08-23-2007, 03:47 PM
actually i just thought of something else that huffer sparked an idea on. i highly doubt ull have a problem like this but it never hurts.

but i had a 86 corvette that was auto and it wouldnt shift out of park, the stick would move but it wouldnt change gears. ended up being a little C clip broke and its what made it switch gears. but when that happened on the corvette you could tell it wasnt changing gears the stick was just sliding freely. but from what youve been saying seems like your sounds like its shifting, just not catching. so i doubt that would be your problem but it would be worth checking. i just had to pull my center console apart and it was just right there at the shifter. might try it, worth a shot.

blueb3
08-24-2007, 02:32 AM
will have to try that. Had some other issues pop up after work (non car related) and all I did was notice the rather large puddle under the car, and the drivers side, bottom rear of the transmission was soaked. Probably not a good sign, huh? The strange thing is that there wasn't a puddle after the car was sitting for an hour, but, after 4 hours, there was a HUGE stain on the ground under it. :-? no f'ing clue. Oh well, I picked up my loaner for tomorrow (2005 Acura CL type S) and will be picking up the complete opposite for next week (2002 Toyota 4 Runner).

Huffer
08-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Did you check the fluid level after the pooling was noticed?

blueb3
08-24-2007, 08:48 AM
unfortunately no, had to take care of the kids, and then head home.

Huffer
08-24-2007, 10:11 AM
My thinking is that there's nothing electronically/electrically wrong with the car, but that something mechanical broke.

You're going to have to drop the tranny to check it out I suspect, and you should probably just plan on buying a replacement...

blueb3
08-24-2007, 12:30 PM
/cry

I know, it's just not something I want to think about at the moment.

Huffer
08-24-2007, 12:41 PM
A used transmission shouldn't be too bad, but a decent transmission shop should be able to tear it down and tell you what the damage is - it might just be a busted gear that could be replaced, or a bad torque convertor?

blueb3
08-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah, probably going to drag it to the cottman shop around the corner next week when I get some money again (stupid mortgage, and wanting to be paid every month)

TRUBLU
08-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Please remember to echange the tran ATF fluid every 30,000 Miles.

blueb3
10-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Dear lord, it's still not fixed???? (and yes, the fluid was changed regularly)

UPDATE!

Took it into the shop, *finally* and they cannot get the torque converter out, AT ALL! And state that they cannot split the transmission case without destroying it. So they can't tell me what else might be wrong with my tranny. Their solution to this wonderful dilemma? Charge me $2400 to put another rebuilt tranny in that they have at the shop. :shock: That's right $ 2 4 0 0 !! WTF!! I about fell out of my chair when he told me.

Now my question to you experts is this. What other options do I have here? No one can locate an auto for a 2.2. Can I use a different trannsmission (provided I get a matching rear diff?) And what transmissions can I use? Anything from a legacy? Can I use a JDM transmission? Can I use a tranny from the 2.0 twin turbo with the matching rear diff that has the LSD?

Wiscon_Mark
10-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Any EJ engine can mate to any EJ transmission. I don't know about the TCU logic or the FD ratio of specific years though. I've heard that the 4EAT changed a bit from 97+.

blueb3
10-14-2007, 01:14 AM
well I have a 96, and was actually looking at the 2.0 JDM tranny with matching rear diff that has a LSD. They are coming off of 95 and 96 models with pretty low mileage (under 50k) and pretty low price tags.

Sarra
10-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Can you drive stick? Might be cheaper to just drop a used 5 speed in.

I'd also suggest staying away from freakin 2003+ 4EATs. My mom's 03 outback's 4EAT is going now, with only 50k miles. Also heard some, er, bad things about them from mechanics around here.

blueb3
10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Well they are going to work with me on the price, and are taking it down to ~1800. Even if I walked from the shop, I would be out close to $400 due to the work and diagnostice they have already done.

redlegacygt
10-15-2007, 01:44 PM
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1353652 (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353652)

this guy's selling an auto 4eat. Maybe it would work. He's a good guy and his stuff is always good.

blueb3
10-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks, I bit the bullet last night, and authorized the work. I should have my car back this week.