PDA

View Full Version : improve AT down shifts?

daddyp
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Unfortunatly, I have an auto trany, :evil: But the car was too cheap to pass up. Any way, just wondering if anyone knows of tricks or aftermarket products to increase responce in down shifting? You know so the down shift dosen't come after exiting the turn. Maby someone has read a blog on retrofiting a JDM triptronic (I think that's what it's called) padle shifter, or like a sports automatic. Or perhaps a piggy-back ECU that quickens the down shift points based on throtle position or something? Also, I have simply manually down shifted into 2nd gear a couple times, fun, but I'm sure it's not good for the tranny. Anyone heard about consequences to this type of action?

Huffer
08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Do you have a specific car/model in mind? Or just all Subaru 4EAT and 5EATs?

None of the pre-2002 Subaru's came with a "tiptronic" or "sportstronic" style shifter (say like on the 03+ Mazda6).

Right now, "sports" drivers that use Subaru AT's basically downshift by shifting into a lower drivegear - which essentially prevents the car from upshifting at higher rpm.

Subaru AT's are not generally recommended to shift in this way OFTEN. It can be done (and hardwiring the shifter to allow shifts without pressing in the safety button can make it easier/dangerous) but you will end up slicing up the transmission and a huge amount of stress being put on the torque converter.

There is an outfit that makes upgraded transmissions for Subarus:
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaruauto.shtml

IPT performance transmissions:
* Valve bodies are calibrated to provide firm, positive shifts
* Extra forward, reverse and high clutches are installed
* Modified OEM solenoid assembly is installed
* Lube system is redesigned to prevent geartrain failure and to increase lube flow
* Large apply area factory servo is installed to provide maximum band holding capacity (where applicable)
* New one-way clutches/sprags are installed
* High volume pump slide spring is installed (where applicable)
* Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping
* Planetary pinion pins are welded to eliminate pin "walk-out"

All: $3795

Not only that, but they offer the following:

IPT Electro-Matic Manual Controller
IPT is now offering a stand alone full manual controller for Subaru transmissions.

The IPT Electro-Matic offers you the ability to shift your automatic like a stick!

With this module, which is mounted in the vehicle cockpit, each gear is selected via a push button and lock- up clutch operation is controlled via a toggle switch- the end user has complete control of all transmission upshifts and downshifts

This controller is ideal for road racing, drag racing and street/strip usage. The IPT Elecrto-Matic is also particularly well suited for applications where a stand alone engine management system with no provision for controlling an automatic transmission is utilized. This is the NEW switchable version which enables the user to easily toggle between stock TCU control and Full Manual operation

*Normally ships within 5 business days

Price: $569
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/08/manual_controller_switchable-1.jpg

AJM
08-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Wow...for the price you could swpai n a manual and have cash for other mods left over.

daddyp
08-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Holly S#*t! You have quite a bit of info. Thanks! This helps a great deal. As for my car it's a 2003 legacy outback/ sedan.
I know a manual trany swap sounds great but this is also highly expensive$$.
This is my first Subaru but I have an off-road truck which I had the auto trany rebuilt with xtra cluch bands (all kevlar composit) new valvebody and springs for 1st 2nd & 3rd as well as higher stall torque converter. Full throtle down shifts!! OH yea. But it only cost me about 600$. 3k is out of the question. But that electric control module is trick. Do you think the trany needs all the works to handle the manual shifts with out certain damage? Or perhaps a torque converter and high friction clutch bands would surfice?

Huffer
08-24-2007, 11:37 PM
I honestly have no idea - I got that website from Wiscon_Mark back in the day. Your best option is to roll an email or call to IPT and see what they say?

I can't imagine the stock tranny is going to enjoy full throttle downshifts too much.

daddyp
08-25-2007, 09:26 PM
yea, I know. actually, I would never do that to my baby. I was really talking about my truck, I do downshift full throtle in that beast! I really just want more response out of the corners. After slowing down to enter it takes too long to down shift when I get back into the gas. Heay thanks for all the valuble info. by the way. It really helped. Not much on about AT's ya know.