PDA

View Full Version : Food for my gearbox

Sarra
08-28-2007, 09:32 PM
My mechanic brain farted and didn't do anything but the clutch, so it's up to me to do the rest of the 120k checkup. I need some trans fluid, what exactly should I go with? I'm leaning towards Royal Purple 75w 90, unless there is something else that would be good?

Also as an odd point, my throw out bearing was seized up. Would that have been a result of a bad install at a previous clutch job?

Huffer
08-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I used Redline synthetics.

Reason
08-29-2007, 02:02 PM

I was looking into Redline products. My nephew used it in his GSX eclipse. But I have Royal purple Gear fluid waiting to be used.

rougeben83
08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Currently using a combination of redline 75w90 and lightweight shockproof

Huffer
08-29-2007, 04:13 PM

I was looking into Redline products. My nephew used it in his GSX eclipse. But I have Royal purple Gear fluid waiting to be used.

I honestly noticed no difference in the fluid that was in the gbox and the redline stuff I poured in. I still get grinds, probably because I'm a monkey shifting with the short shifter and I'm used to RHD...

Sarra
08-30-2007, 01:11 AM

I honestly noticed no difference in the fluid that was in the gbox and the redline stuff I poured in. I still get grinds, probably because I'm a monkey shifting with the short shifter and I'm used to RHD...

I'm a gentle shifter, but I still get grinding (and so does my best friend when I let her drive). I wanna minimize damage to the syncros, until I can afford a full dog box (so I can shift like I really want to).

Royal Purple is going in there this time. If I have problems, I change it later.

Brockley
08-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I used Royal purple 75w90, and some of thier MAX-Gear stuff.

works well.

omahasubaru
08-30-2007, 04:12 PM
I've had really, really good luck w/ Motul Gear 300.

Both in my turbo cars and even still to this day in a 2.5 RS car that has seen 85k miles and very hard abuse in autocross/rallycross/road course/ etc.

That's what I put in the trans and diff in my BD and couldn't be happier. Will be switching over the BE as well soon.

AJM
08-30-2007, 09:56 PM

Same here, great stuff.

Me and Huffer agree....what's this world coming to? :grin:

Sarra
08-31-2007, 02:01 AM

Both in my turbo cars and even still to this day in a 2.5 RS car that has seen 85k miles and very hard abuse in autocross/rallycross/road course/ etc.

That's what I put in the trans and diff in my BD and couldn't be happier. Will be switching over the BE as well soon.

I wish I could find some locally. :smt009 The only stuff I can find locally is Valvoline and Royal Purple... I can't even find redline!

Huffer
08-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Me and Huffer agree....what's this world coming to? :grin:

:lol: why does everyone say that?

Huffer
08-31-2007, 08:44 AM

I wish I could find some locally. :smt009 The only stuff I can find locally is Valvoline and Royal Purple... I can't even find redline!

Order it online from Summit Racing.

Wiscon_Mark
08-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Apparently NAPA carries redline. Or they can order it. I'm not sure which...

Sarra
09-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I'll try Napa then. Going to have to go figure out how much a new clutch cable is for the Loyale anyway.

omahasubaru
09-04-2007, 09:51 AM
best prices I've found online for Motul Gear 300 is at motodepot.com

link: http://www.motodepot.com/product_cat.php?cid=189

Sarra
09-05-2007, 05:11 AM
I got some Redline, but unfortunatly, not enough for the gearbox and the rear diff. Going to have to throw some random stuff in the diff. Or maybe the shop has 1 qt of redline laying around... My gearbox drain plug is completely locked, broke a breaker bar. I was smart enough to wear a face shield while spraying the penetrating grease on it.

I also got some valvoline stuff for the Loyale. It's got Havoline 10w 40 High Milage oil in the engine. 75w 90 in the transmission.

warrior
09-05-2007, 08:29 AM
I've been using Redline 75w90 NS.. I believe our trannys require NS w/ Shockproof Lightweight.. and Redline Shockproof Heavyweight in the rear diff. :cool:

Reason
09-05-2007, 09:51 AM
None of you use Uncle Scotty's cocktail?

1Qt. Redline lightweight shockproof
1Qt Penzoil Synchromesh
The rest Castrol Hypoy C 75w90 (I want to use Royal Purple 75w90)

This is for MT but wouldn't it be the same?

Sarra
09-06-2007, 02:28 AM
I ended up having a shop put 3 qt of Royal Purple into my transmission. I don't know what they put in the diff, if anything. I have to call them tomorrow and find out.

The Royal Purple sure makes a difference, though! It doesn't grind, and gear changes are very smooth.