PDA

View Full Version : Tranny internals swappable????

1-bad-legacy
07-29-2005, 01:57 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows if I can swap out the internals of my FWD tranny for a gearset out of a WRX or Legacy Turbo? I've already shed the teeth of second gear on my old gear box and its only a matter of time before it happens again. I need stronger parts!! :D

gator gt
07-30-2005, 12:41 AM
What the heck are you feeding your motor? And why is a FWD tearing through trannies?

Since you have a FWD, I think you're extremely limited to swapping to another, (gasp) FWD tranny.

Should you decide to take your ride to the next level and swap in a AWD setup (easier and probably cheaper to get a AWD car), then your options may open up. Your next step? Find a freshly crashed Impreza RS or Legacy GT and snag the tranny, driveshaft, rear carrier assembly and rear crossmember with hubs, axles and linkage. At that point, you'll be going from front disc/rear drum to 4 wheel disc brakes too.

See what I mean about cheaper and easier to sell this one and get an AWD instead?

GGT

PS if anyone knows otherwise, please, step on up.

Wiscon_Mark
07-30-2005, 10:41 AM
I'd agree with gator, but considering your extensive mod list and hard work that went into the car, I'd say save up (you must have some cash flow with all those mods) and get yourself an AWD 1st or 2nd gen (if you want to do 2nd gen, a post 96 2nd gen would be the easiest for trannys) and swap from your 92 to your ?? car.

jdmconnected
07-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Sorry I can't offer information on cross compatibility, but regarding using a 4wd drivetrain I think that might not be the best idea if you're tearing up a FWD tranny. Depending on your driving style or road/track conditions putting the power down on 4 wheels might be even more likely to cause transmission failures.

You can though, have the FWD gears strengthened by shot peening or cryo treatment. Supposedly cryo treatment isn't as good because the stresses return to normal as time passes. I'm not an expert on this, but I suggest consulting with someone who is ;-)

Neil

1-bad-legacy
07-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Well I have seen some gearsets floating around the internet for WRX's and they are based on the same principles. I've taken shifter forks and such from an AWD tranny to put in my FWD and they work. I want to try and find a tranny from a WRX or something and take off the rear housing that contains the center diff and rear output shaft and put my FWD housing on it, thus eliminating the AWD making a stronger FWD. Who knows, all I know is if I start hookin up I'm gonna start breaking stuff. :(