PDA

View Full Version : legacy won't shift out of drive

draxcaliber
09-05-2007, 02:41 PM
my mother owns a 2005 subaru legacy 2.5 gt limited equiped with a 5 speed automatic transmission with the sport shift feature. it has about 46 thousand miles on it.

now two weeks ago, my younger sister and her friend were parking it in a garage, and while they were doing this, they accidentally put it into sport shift mode, and now it will not come out of drive. it goes to neutral, but it won't go into reverse, and then if you let go of the shifter, it goes back into drive.

(also, that is my sister's story, so i have no idea if that is what really happened, or she did something stupid. i wouldn't trust her with anything more complicated than go-kart)

it is at the dealership right now, i said it should be part of the powertrain warranty, but the dealership said it wasn't and the part alone was nearly $700 dollars. but the part they need is on national back-order, and it should arrive in october.

i asked them if this part is on national back-order doesn't that mean that subaru should issue a recall if there are so many people having problems with this part that we can't get one for over six weeks?

the dealership told me that it was because the part has to be remanufactured because there isn't a single one of this part anywhere in the country.

sorry that i don't know exactely what the part is called, but is it possible that this part hasn't broken before and subaru didn't think it would need any spares on hand?

if anybody has some insight of what is going on, your replies are greatly appreciated.

Superu264
09-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I dont have any actual input, but..

my mother owns a 2005 subaru legacy 2.5 gt limited equiped with a 5 speed automatic transmission with the sport shift feature. it has about 46 thousand miles on it.

Good Lord, maybe its tired

draxcaliber
09-05-2007, 02:48 PM
46,xxx miles is tired? this is a subaru it should run beyond the body rusting to nothing.

Huffer
09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Find out the name and the part number of the part from the dealership.
Then call Subaru America to find out if a failure of said part should be covered under factory warranty.

If it is, and should, then get that info in writing, call up your Subaru area rep and complain about the dealership. Fax the info in writing. Go up to the dealership and show them whats what.