PDA

View Full Version : Whining in Reverse

JLav211
09-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Hey gang,

So after extolling the virtues of a car that has caused me no problems in 82,000 miles, my Subaru began to show its messy, potentially expensive side.

My '03 sedan - whenever I give it gas in reverse, there is a distinct, loud, whine that goes away as soon as I get off the gas. The clutch still grabs fine, no noise in any other gear. Any thoughts?

I'm also trying to ignore a faint burning smell that I am telling myself is my Project Miata, which burns every fluid known to man. In any event, the smell is not burning clutch.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Plays_with_Toys
09-08-2007, 02:16 AM
Reverse is a straight cut gear. It's going to whine. :wink: Here's what straight cut gears sound like in forward gears:

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=4846

Sarra
09-08-2007, 02:26 AM
I redlined my BE in reverse a few times, and wow, the sound reverse made got much, much louder than it was originally. I learned a valuable lesson, don't take an unprepped subie mudding.

Wiscon_Mark
09-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Reverse is a straight cut gear. It's going to whine. :wink: Here's what straight cut gears sound like in forward gears:

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=4846

Yeah, JLav, you should drive my car. It's horrendously loud in reverse. Normal.

Huffer
09-08-2007, 10:20 AM
MOST cars make a lot of sound when in reverse...

JLav211
09-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the responses. My concern is, however, I have never had this whine/noise prior to this week. Is this something I should just chalk up to it's getting older and is bound to make a few odd noises?

JL

Huffer
09-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the responses. My concern is, however, I have never had this whine/noise prior to this week. Is this something I should just chalk up to it's getting older and is bound to make a few odd noises?

JL

I would. Unless you've been abusing reverse for awhile.

You could try changing the fluid and see if the sound dissipates.

mranlet
09-11-2007, 09:19 PM
If you've ever had a Subaru gearbox apart, you'll see that there is a very slim "shim" kinda-deal that spaces the reverse idler (a straight cut gear) from the transmission housing. After years of smushing this shim (or a few seconds of over-revving it) it will flatten out a little bit and allow the teeth of the idler gear to make noise against the housing.

I've been running WITHOUT this spacer for several months now without a problem other than a loud grind/whine when backing up.

Also to note: reverse isn't a seperate gear in the gearset, but rather shifting in to R engages a straight-cut idler between 1st gear and the transfer shaft. If you "loose reverse" you just have a problem with the engagement of that idler as long as you still have 1st.