PDA

View Full Version : Idle ideas

Duff
09-08-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a '95 Legacy wagon with 123K miles and have replaced the plugs with Autolites. Idles well but could use some improvement in idle, especially when in drive waiting at a light and with the AC on.

I'm thinking of replacing the PCV valve, replacing the plug wires, finding out about the fuel filter and replacing it. And running some more fuel injector cleaner through it. Also run some dry gas through it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about this. Remember, it idles well now, just not perfect. Is there a preferred order I should go about this? The previous owner was not an enthusiast and probably didn't replace things unless they failed. There could be things that should be replaced. I just need some help in figuring out how to go about it and in what order. I don't want to waste money. The car uses almost no oil. The transmission shifts smoother than any car I've owned.

Also, I should check the all wheel drive to make sure it works. I was thinking of taking it to a dirt area and spinning the tires to see which ones dig in. I was also thinking that if the all wheel drive was not working right I'd be getting some type of warning light.

This is my first Subaru and I'm impressed so far, even though I have had to spend six or seven hundred dollars over the purchase price to get it to where I'm comfortable with it.

All ideas are appreciated, especially those from people that have dealt with the issues on a '95 or other vehicle that has the same system. Supposedly they are the same for a few years.

Thanks in advance,

Duff

Reason
09-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Change the Autolites with some NGK's. I would also suggest running Seafoam in the system. Put half in the gas tank and half in the intake. I usually use more than I suggest but thats just me.

Duff
09-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Where do you get it? How does it work? Half in the intake? What do you mean by half in the intake? Into the air filter?

Do NGK's work better than Autolites?

MCarp22
09-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Idles well but could use some improvement in idle, especially when in drive waiting at a light and with the AC on.

That's likely the transmission mount. I've thrown about $300 worth of tune-up stuff at my '95 and it still shakes at idle in D.

Huffer
09-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Uh, guys - it's a 95 - it's over 10 years old. Over 10 years certain metal parts will have stretched and loosened, including the way the transmission/engine parts react together and bolt up to the body.

It'll never idle perfect.

However, checking the AWD system by spinning the tires isn't necessary.
Put the car in D3 or D2, up on a lift and see if the rear wheels turn.

Did you buy that Haynes manual? It has a pretty good tune-up procedure.

Seafoam - Reason is staying to drip (not pour) half a can of Seafoam into the PCV valve intake (not where the air filter is) and the other half into the fuel tank - it basically drives out excess moisture from the engine & fueltank. You have to be careful with adding it into the intake, and I would do an oil change within 200miles of the seafoam.

Reason
09-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Seafoam - Reason is staying to drip (not pour) half a can of Seafoam into the PCV valve intake (not where the air filter is) and the other half into the fuel tank - it basically drives out excess moisture from the engine & fueltank. You have to be careful with adding it into the intake, and I would do an oil change within 200miles of the seafoam.

If you use a vacuum line you can suck it from the can. In my CRX I poured it in, you just need to adjust the open throttle as you pour. Some careful regulation and it won't stall.

You don't need to change the oil after 200 miles if you put it in the intake or fuel tank. If you add some to the crankcase THEN yes I would change it after 100-200 miles.

Plays_with_Toys
09-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Put some grounding wires on too. I did seafoam, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, pcv and the coupe de grace was the grounding mod and it idled sooo smooth after that. It's got a small bobble in it now. I've driven brand new subarus that idle the same though.