PDA

View Full Version : axle problem

Sarra
09-12-2007, 02:09 AM
When driving, I get a clunking sound from the front right. I thought it was a CV joint, but it is very inconsistent. It goes away when I step on the brake, so I thought it was a brake problem. I pulled the tire, and checked my brakes, and they're fine. I grabbed the axle shaft between the CV joint and the hub, and pushing toward the engine and pulling away from the engine, I can get it to reproduce the sound, albeit quieter.

Is this a CV joint problem, or a Universal joint, or axle, or what? I don't care about the sound, but I don't want an axle flying off when I'm on the freeway or in traffic.

The various boots, including the CV boot, look fine, no leaking or anything. Any clues what's causing this?

MoclovFlop
09-12-2007, 02:36 AM
I have the EXACT same thing in my car. It taps/clunks at lower speed in the front passenger side and goes away when stepping on the brakes, I actually had a inner cv boot tear this week and replaced my entire axle assembly because of it. That sound is still there, so it kind of ruled out the CV joint, or anything else around there. I have a feeling it might be the very beginning of a failing bearing. UHHhh mysterious sounds FTL!

Hocrest
09-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Check for play in your ball joint.

Sarra
09-13-2007, 02:44 AM
No play in the ball joint.

My mechanic said it might be the universal joint, but I'm not so sure. This sound is getting progressively worse. It's loud enough at 35 mph that it drowns out the radio. However, it is extremely intermittent, sometimes I never hear it, sometimes it just won't STFU.

mranlet
09-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Having not heard the car my guesses are :
Top hat
Ball Joint
Loose sway bar bolt
Loose caliper bolt

Sarra
09-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Having not heard the car my guesses are :
Top hat
Ball Joint
Loose sway bar bolt
Loose caliper bolt

Top hat is fine
Ball joint is okay
I just took the calipers off and put them back on, so if that was it, it should be quiet from now on.
Sway bar should be okay...

dplacencia
09-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Could be the axel or wheel bearing.

Sarra
09-15-2007, 12:49 AM
Turned out to be the bolts holding the caliper to the bracket.