PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Heat Wrap

Payback45
10-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I was wondering what your thought were on Heat wrap for the header. Also, can you heat wrap the rest of the exhaust system?
Also, does anyone know how much it would take to wrap a Borla header for a 02 legacy?

thanks

Sarra
10-02-2007, 06:31 PM
If you can swing it, get it coated. Otherwise, make sure you wrap the header and wrap the wrap in something water-resistant; trapping water against the header will rust it over time.

You can wrap your entire exhaust, but that might be excessive...

dplacencia
10-02-2007, 06:37 PM
I was wondering what your thought were on Heat wrap for the header. Also, can you heat wrap the rest of the exhaust system?
Also, does anyone know how much it would take to wrap a Borla header for a 02 legacy?

thanks

I wrapped my headres and high flow cat. I sanded both and did 2 coats before wrapping and 2 more after wrapping.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/09/100_1638-1.jpg

Payback45
10-02-2007, 07:39 PM
two coats of what?
Also, how much heat wrap did it take to wrap all of that?
did you use the silicone spray to seal it after?
Also, did you wrap them before they were installed?
if I do it they are already installed.

dplacencia
10-02-2007, 07:50 PM
two coats of what?
Also, how much heat wrap did it take to wrap all of that?
did you use the silicone spray to seal it after?
Also, did you wrap them before they were installed?
if I do it they are already installed.

I did it before I installed it. I used about 70-80 feet of wrap to do both. I used high temp paint for headers. I spryed them after I wrapped them too. That should keep the water out and protect the wrap.

Payback45
10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Do you see a problem wrapping it after the install. More to the point wrapping it with out taking it off.
I have been Reading up on this and people say it is horrible to wrap your headers. have you had any problems. have you noticed any benefits

dplacencia
10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Do you see a problem wrapping it after the install. More to the point wrapping it with out taking it off.
I have been Reading up on this and people say it is horrible to wrap your headers. have you had any problems. have you noticed any benefits

Everyone has a different opinion. I wrapped mine and installed them about a month ago. The headers get really hot even with the wrap. I dont want the engine compartment to get too hot. I haven't had a problem. If you want take them off an paint and wrap them. It's up to you.