PDA

View Full Version : Stromung high flow cat

AJM
10-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Who has one? How was it to intsall? Impressions? Did you need an o2 spacer?

I'm looking into this one, or the random tech. Anybody who has that feel free to pipe in as well.

Reason
10-07-2007, 02:27 AM
I know Mark and dplacencia has one. I'm not sure if the Jolly Roger has one but he bought a 02 spacer so I would guess yess.....?

Huffer
10-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I don't have the Stromung, I have a front cat delete though...the O2 spacer from Rallitek is a direct fit.

The OEM-bolt-on hi-flow cats will almost always require the O2 sensor spacer or wire-in resistor... you are dealing with higher flow and the sensor is a PITA.

You can always use the HELP! sparkplug antifoulers (but you have to drill them out and bolt them together...

Tall BG5
10-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I've got the stromung, and I do run the spacer, I never get an o2 code. Install was a cakewalk seeing as I replaced the entire exhaust at the same time(header to tip) :lol:

AJM
10-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, a spacer is no big deal ,but some dingbat on another site was trying to tell me that you needed to splice 3 feet of wire or some damn thing for the rear o2 sensor to fit...

Reason
10-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Well, a spacer is no big deal ,but some dingbat on another site was trying to tell me that you needed to splice 3 feet of wire or some damn thing for the rear o2 sensor to fit...

There's your first problem. You were asking on another site. We are the all knowing :roll: :grin:

rougeben83
10-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Compare the pics. I think the some of the other cat pipes have their 02 bungs mounted further downstream.

Also, if someone was using one on a 2.2l...I think some of those had a weird cat pipe (the ends were still the same as other subarus, but 02 sensor placement differed).

omahasubaru
10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
so how many people... have a header and highflow cat on their '97-98 LGT w/ or w/o a spacer and have never received a CEL (P0420) or otherwise?

I'm really wanting to go this route, but don't want to constantly deal with the occasional CEL nor splice a resistor in the sensor. I'd like it to remain functional, but using a spacer isn't an issue.

I wouldn't dare try it on newer model cars 99-> as they seem to be more picky about this... Was hoping I'd hear that it's a non-issue and I could get away with it.

Thanks - Jon

Sarra
10-08-2007, 02:50 PM
from what I've read, the spacer takes care of the problems. The O2 sensor has issues getting readings in modded exhaust systems, too much flow or something like that. Putting a spacer in there lets it get a correct reading, or something closer to correct.

Huffer
10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
You can get a CEL just from having a front cat delete - my car was specced for CARB standards, not just EPA so when I replaced the cat section I replaced it with one that had only ONE cat - pre-rear 02 sensor.

replacement cat is stock diameter piping too.

I still get the P0420 Main Cat inefficiency code - and I have yet to install the O2 spacer.

Wiscon_Mark
10-08-2007, 04:25 PM
I actually just recieved a code, spacer and all. I think it's just a funny spike, this is the first I've seen any CEL in the last 26,000 miles of driving that car.

omahasubaru
10-09-2007, 09:55 AM
You can get a CEL just from having a front cat delete - my car was specced for CARB standards, not just EPA so when I replaced the cat section I replaced it with one that had only ONE cat - pre-rear 02 sensor.

replacement cat is stock diameter piping too.

I still get the P0420 Main Cat inefficiency code - and I have yet to install the O2 spacer.
put a spacer in (if you were planning to) and report back.

I know it seems silly to worry about an occasional P0420, but I really want to maximize what I can without needing to reset CEL's from time to time. Since my LGT is my DD... I just don't want to deal with codes. If I could manage to do it... I would, but if not... I'll just do a header and leave the cat stock.

Wiscon_Mark
10-09-2007, 10:13 AM
My suspicion was confirmed - the CEL went away on its own. It was just a spiked reading.