PDA

View Full Version : 97 Legacy GT Questions

JjSwee
08-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I am in the research stage of putting a new suspension in my car. I won't have the money till I start my new job (in October), so I feel this gives me a good time to research. Also I am debating doing this right now for two reasons: 1) winter is comming up and 2) I might wanna start auto-xing (Hyperfest got me hooked) and I want to run stock to make the competition easier.

I been reading a lot, but half the stuff I hear different answers for. So here goes:

I wanna change out the spring/shock/top hat. I heard I must do the top hat cause the shocks (plannin on AGX's) wont fit, and its generally a good idea to upgrade the hats anyways. Which top hats can I get? I know to get group N ones but I see some specifically for 02-03 WRX, some for GC, some for STI. Which ones can I use?

Two: When I change everything over, what are all the little things I need that I do not currently have? (such as the spring seats, rings, whatever it is)

Three: Because I have an audio system in the car presently, and ION performance (Thinking of getting their sport spec springs) says I will get more sag in the rear cause the perches in the GC are different, is there something I can do to offset the extra sag?

Thanks

(Wow I am long winded sometimes)

Jonathan
08-07-2005, 04:05 PM
While iON does make springs for the 3rd generartion Legacys, I did not know that they did springs specifically for the 2nd generation Legacys.

Using springs designed for the pre-2002 RS, 3rd gen legacys, or the WRXs may work out okay, however they weren't designed for our vehicles so I would be leary of using them.

I was told (on the nabisco board) that eibach progressive springs are the best for our 2nd generation Legacys.

H&R springs (sold by the tyre rack) are relatively innexpensive although they are perhaps a little on the firm side.

Whiteline springs are a little pricey but I am told work really well.

KYB AGX adjustable struts are suppost to be really good, and yes getting the correct tophats is essential.

PS. I am no expert on Legacy suspensions. I am still attempting to figure out whats best for my 1996 Legacy "L". I am only 'parroting' what I have read from others, and I am not speaking form personal experiance. Please feel free to correct me on any points, make alternative suggestions, etc...

Perdue
08-07-2005, 05:27 PM
I wasn't aware that there were BD/BG Specific AGX Struts. If you're going to use these, You're going to need top hats and springs that are specific to the strut you're using. There are a lot of Legacys running around with WRX suspensions, which lower the car a little more. The spring rates in rear are rated at 300lbs less I believe, but sagging shouldn't be much of a problem in a sedan.

Currently, I'm running H&R Sport Springs and KYB GR2 Struts on my 98 sedan, both legacy specific. They're backed with a Whiteline Adjustable Rear Swaybar, Cusco Type OS Front Strut Tower Bar (Pretty much bling if you ask me), and Yokohama ES100s. The next route is an anti-lift kit, and I'll be pretty much done with the acception of some group-n tophats when I go to change out struts. I'm pretty satisfied with my handling, but as Johnathan stated, the ride from the H&R springs is pretty stiff.

As far as the audio system, I'm guessing it depends on how much of a system you have. I have a single 12 that really doesn't weight too much with amp and box. I used to run a dual 12/dual amp setup and it did sag a tad on the stock suspension, but it wasn't a lot to be noticeable.

scottzg
08-07-2005, 09:20 PM
the agx has the same part number as the gc, iirc. Same goes for the gr2.

jlk2.5gt
10-08-2005, 09:07 AM
i am pleased with my kybg2 struts and h&r springs it has a nice ride to it. i have also been pleased with whitelines sway bars, strut brace, rear contol arms, and the rest of their line, everything fit properly, and the car handles awesome now