PDA

View Full Version : Will the car move?

Chicago96GT
10-25-2007, 04:26 PM
OK well im jacking my engine out of the bay a little but and im wondering if the car will move at all once i unhook the engine? Also i know there is one engine mount in the top right corner of the bay but can someone tell me where the others are? If so thanks -Nick

Huffer
10-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Two engine mounts UNDERNEATH the engine bay.

Put blocks behind the wheels and engage the e-brake.

Chicago96GT
10-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks. At the end of my garage i have a small 3inch slant that i backed the wheels to, do you think that will be enough? Is there a safe way to jack the car up from the front?

Reason
10-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Engine mount in the top right corner of the bay?...huh :smt017

Chicago96GT
10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
well im pretty sure, its more to the bottom of the car but its in the top right corner if looking down on the bay. Is that not an engine mount?

Huffer
10-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Need a pic. A few blocks of wood will be good enough to stop the wheels from rolling. Block them on both sides, front & rear (so 8 stops altogether).

Reason
10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
You have a few options.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/10/gatorride2-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/10/gatorride-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/10/gatorride3-1.jpg

Chicago96GT
10-26-2007, 01:26 AM
i like the last one seeing as it looks the safest. I dont have to much room on the sides of my garage but i dont know if that matters. It hasnt so far. Whats the best way to jack all the sides up? One at a time or front then back together?

Chicago96GT
10-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know about how many inches i need to get my motor out of the bay to do the head gaskets? Huffer maybe? Thanks -Nick

Huffer
10-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Does anyone know about how many inches i need to get my motor out of the bay to do the head gaskets? Huffer maybe? Thanks -Nick

You might as well take it the whole way out - that way you can walk around the engine to do it, and give it a nice cleanup. Nice way of cleaning the engine bay too.

Huffer
10-27-2007, 01:52 PM
i like the last one seeing as it looks the safest. I dont have to much room on the sides of my garage but i dont know if that matters. It hasnt so far. Whats the best way to jack all the sides up? One at a time or front then back together?

I would do front, then back. Jack up the front via the jackplate just infront of the oil pan, then put that on jackstands. From the rear just go under the rear diff. And then use jackstands there.

Chicago96GT
10-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah? The only thing is then i need to get a engine hoist. Im not going to buy one but i have a few people i know with them. Is it any more difficult to do this with the right equip? I do want to clean my engine and bay though( i love wiping dirt from inside paint, you can see your cars true color when it left the shop almost). Plus my engine has a bunch of dirt/sand on top of it i would love to brush off, get a few cans of brake cleaner for some parts :grin: So when i need to take the engine out i have to disconnect the top trans mount(auto), and also jack it up a little correct? See i think i have a problem with this, when i jack my engine out i have to back the car out a little into my alley so i have enough room. This mean i would need to have my tail sticking out for a while/a few days, and my windows are still down(DONT ASK). Any suggestions. Where is the fuel fuse or whatever to disconnect it so i can put my battery in for a sec and put my windows up. This wont matter if my sensors are off correct? and no alternator but i can recharge battery or get a new one? Thanks Huffer