PDA

View Full Version : Tool Set

Chicago96GT
10-31-2007, 07:25 PM
What is the best small tool set to start my collection. All my tools where stolen out of my garage last night and i was pulling my engine tomorrow. I was thinking about getting a small craftsman set for about $200 an it comes with about 220 Pieces. Does this sound like a good idea or can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks -Nick

ivwarrior
10-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Craftsman stuff is on par with cheap chinese imports.....Do yourself a favor and buy better quality stuff so you don't have to keep going back to Sears getting their junk replaced.

suba-rude
10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
cheap or not life time warrnty

but i would suggest S&K or mac which all have lifetime warranty
but craftsman is just easier to deal with if you do break something.
But thats just my opinion.

Reason
10-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Craftsman stuff is on par with cheap chinese imports.....Do yourself a favor and buy better quality stuff so you don't have to keep going back to Sears getting their junk replaced.

All my tools are craftsman tools. I been using them for years. I have tools 15 years old. I also have many of my fathers old tools that are a little older. Combine about 700-800- pieces and I only had to bring one tool back (1/4 ratchet). I used these with many car projects, around the house and at work. I toss these around and had 40 foot falls at work, I'm not saying craftsman is the best, but they aren't cheap or a headache. For the price of snap on tools I'm perfectly happy with any craftsman tool I bought. If anything I would say their electrical tools are iffy.

Huffer
10-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Better idea - roll to a garage sale and pickup used sets - normally you can get really good deals, and I've never met a mechanic that still has a full "complete" set of any brand...

A starter set for about a $100 is all you'd need initially. Beyond that you're getting into application specific tools.

Reason
10-31-2007, 09:32 PM
My brother in laws friend goes to yard sale every weekend and he will buy craftsman tool, good or broken and then bring the broken tools to Sears and get new stuff. He has a huge set up in his garage. With all the stuff he has it's like being in a real shop. That's where most of my friends bring their cars to work on if we need a certain tool or shelter, all he asks is clean up and bring him a coffee from Dunkin Donuts and he is happy.

dodik
11-01-2007, 08:13 AM
crapsman well its crapsman they do have a lifetime warranty wich is nice but tools suck. i was doing my friends brakes and broke my crapsman breaker bar, i mean its a breaker bar its not suppose to break or am i missing something?

Hocrest
11-01-2007, 09:43 AM

All my tools are craftsman tools. I been using them for years. I have tools 15 years old. I also have many of my fathers old tools that are a little older. Combine about 700-800- pieces and I only had to bring one tool back (1/4 ratchet). I used these with many car projects, around the house and at work. I toss these around and had 40 foot falls at work, I'm not saying craftsman is the best, but they aren't cheap or a headache. For the price of snap on tools I'm perfectly happy with any craftsman tool I bought. If anything I would say their electrical tools are iffy.

That's the point, if you can get craftsman stuff from 15 years ago, get it and it will last for a long time. If you get the stuff they're selling now you'll be taking the ratchets back for bad mechanisms, the sockets back for cracking and chrome peeling and the screwdrivers back for broken tips. I will never buy another craftsman ratchet, I just keep returning them for free ones. It's gotten to the point that I carry two of them in my toolbag, because I've had them fail on me numerous times in the junkyard.

Craftsman doesn't make their tools, they are farmed out to different tool makers. The contracts change every so often, and whoever has been making them for the past ~4 years sucks. I get better performance out of my Harbor Freight stuff.

If you can afford it, go for the Matco/Snap On and you will have a great set of tools forever.

Monkhouse
11-01-2007, 09:49 AM
About 10 years ago I worked in a Sears Auto in Grand Rapids, MI. The mechanics there had a Snap On rep that would come in once a month to buy tools from. Waiting for the end of the month to get a tool was better than walking across the parking lot to get a crafstman right away.

ivwarrior
11-02-2007, 12:44 AM
That was my experience, too. I did a short-term part-time stint in a Sears Tire shop. All the full-timers had either Snap-On or Mac. Heck, even the SHOP SUPPLIED impact wrenches were Ingersol-Rand. And the other above post was on, too. Craftsman stuff USED TO BE good, but the current stuff is junk. I'd more like the last 6-8 years, at least.

When I was working full-time, I most of us had some Craftsman stuff, simply because it was cheaper, and we needed a bunch of stuff right away when we were starting out. As we got the money, we were all replacing the stuff with either Snap-On or Mac. But, any time one of us was heading to Sears for anything, we'd ask around the shop to see who had broken Craftsman stuff. Eight of us in the shop, you usually needed a box to put it all in.......

If you really want Craftsman, go the yard sale route, and find 15-20 year old stuff, from back when they were quality tools. Watch for Snap-On and Mac stuff, too. I've gotten some good deals on Snap-On on Ebay. Price check carefully if you go the Ebay route, as I've also seen stuff on there go for more than it would cost to get it new from your local dealer.

jjs316
12-04-2007, 12:18 AM
yeah, ebay is a good place to get good used snap-on tools.

Im not going to mouth any of the others, but I use Snap-on though. Always have, and always will probably. The automotive school i went to used all Snap-On tools and my father has always used Snap-On. To my knowledge he hasnt had any problem out of them at all.

A friend of mine has some good tools made my S & K as well as others.
He has real good luck getting Snap-On tools off ebay all the time.

AJM
12-04-2007, 12:56 AM

All of their hand tools have lived up to my abuse and I can tell you for sure I can MUCH more torque on them than the average man could ever dream of. *shrugs*

My powder coated huskey stuff is pretty good as well.

d1giPhux
12-04-2007, 09:01 AM
That sucks your stuff got stolen.. think it was someone you knew? Or did they steal other stuff too? =/

I've used craftsman stuff as well, its a gamble.. some of it that i have has never broken on me, and some has.. but.. at least if it does.. you can replace it easy enough.