PDA

View Full Version : Removing Lower Trans Bolts

Chicago96GT
11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Well let me just say this first. Taking my engine out is NOT easy. I am having really hard trouble getting the lower bolts that are mounted to the engine. I got one off thats on the side of the intake. The other side is cluttered with lots of stuff that doest make it really easy to get to. Can anyone that has done this help me out and tell me the easiest way of getting this one off(battery side)? In the FSM its says: Remove nuts which hold lower side of transmission to engine.

shazapple
11-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Go from underneath?

When I helped remove my friends transmission in his Impreza we removed the exhaust (we kept it all as one single piece) the battery, all of the intake (you have to remove the intake in order to get to the starter IIRC, which holds the trans on by two bolts)

grayguy
11-05-2007, 09:35 AM
You can get it from the top, if your arm is small enough. It's probably easiest to use a ratcheting box end wrench. Or, you can go underneath and go at it that way. From underneath you should be able to use a long extension to get it.

Pulling Subie motors is not hard at all, the 1st time I did it I think it took about 45minutes. I'm betting I could do it in under 30min now if I tried.

theboyo19
11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
i used a universal and a long extension on a ratchet and it went right around the drive axle.. its still tuff though. when my dad did his he just tore out the driveaxle :cool: