PDA

View Full Version : How strongly do you feel about your job?

ryu_haneda
11-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm thankful to be employed every day. The "supposed" job security that jobs seem to have is never truly guaranteed forever.

I know everyone has bad days/weeks (or even bad months) at work. That being said, would you really like your job if certain things improved? (By the way, don't answer money - we all know we could use more of that ;))

Are there things that you just wish would happen at your job?

Mr. Sociable
11-08-2007, 11:44 PM
I voted #4, but that's only because I work as a lifeguard right now before college, so the whole "oppertunity" thing isn't happening with that job, it's more like some cash on the side.

Though I'm pretty content with it as it is.

sharky nrk
11-09-2007, 07:40 AM
after 4 years of preparing myself - I find that I am stuck in a job that doesn't really challenge or stimulate me. It is generally unfufilling but with a family to support I can't justify looking elsewhere

Monkhouse
11-09-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm happy with my job. I'm working on fairly high end electronics and actualy utilizing my college education. There is a pretty relaxed dress code, oriented around safety, mostly. So, I can wear jeans and t-shirts, just nothing sleeveless, no shorts, and no open toed shoes. I get 3 weeks of vacation, but it'll be 4 in 2009. I have a deent benefits package and 401k, and I make enough money to support my wife and kid.

Having said that, I'm not about to pass up an opportunity for advancement. I already have my eye on the next job I want. It's teaching people to do what I do now. It comes with a pay increase, of course, and a switch to salary from hourly. I just have the luxury of being comfortable enough in my position to wait until that particular job opens up.

Huffer
11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
The job I'm in is fun, I get paid well enough, but it's totally on me to manage my money well enough to enjoy life AND save a good chunk. I'm not grossly overpaid, I think I'm actually underpaid.

However, given the opportunity to learn or be educated more with a direct correlation on making my job more fun, then I would say yes.

If you don't learn, you're dead.

BE-Fresh
11-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I work at a mercedes dealership...everyday I go in hoping that it blows up when I leave

pdawg
11-20-2007, 02:11 PM
I really can't don't see a choice in the above answers. I have been at my employer for eight years now and really don't understand why people leave to go work anywhere else. I am A CADD tech/designer so the only way for me to move up is to become an Engineer and thats not happening. All that does is give you way more responsiblity and take you out of hourly pay and put you into salary pay.(no overtime). My answer would have to be
" Very happy, have seen the other side of the fence and it not greener, it actually brown, but could always use more money."

Reason
11-20-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm with pdawg, you can't get much higher than what I do unless you are a foremen. And they only make $1 over scale. $1 extra to drive a company truck and lug all the shit around plus more responsibility, screw that. I rather come and go as I please.

subba
11-20-2007, 05:04 PM
My Job is great untill the staff here gets on my ass to fix problems they can deal with on their own. besides that, i love my job, i manage my own time and they pay is great seeing that i didnt go to college to get it. i am gonna be doing all my IT certifications and my bosses are gonna give me back all the money i paid in tuition once i pass (It helps me develop more in my current role) they are going to adjust my pay the more i qualify. the benefits here are beyond good (I work at a bank).
Besides the miserable staff, this job is perfect. (Technical Analyst)

2.5GT
11-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I work at a mercedes dealership...everyday I go in hoping that it blows up when I leave

i sometime wish my dealership would catch on fire :roll:

BE-Fresh
11-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah so I quit my job today....Now I'm unemployed for the first time in...4 years

2.5GT
11-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Yeah so I quit my job today....Now I'm unemployed for the first time in...4 years

did you set it on fire when you left? :lol:

battman
11-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Yes, I dream of this happening all the time. I have been with my employer for 5 years. It is a small company, which I like, but I do a TON of traveling (which most people think is awesome) which gets really old really fast. There is no where to move up so I will forever be in this position unless someone actually quits or dies. At the same time, at least I have a decent job and a decent paycheck. It can always be better but it can also be much worse. So for now, it works.

sharky nrk
11-28-2007, 12:46 PM
I really can't don't see a choice in the above answers. I have been at my employer for eight years now and really don't understand why people leave to go work anywhere else. I am A CADD tech/designer so the only way for me to move up is to become an Engineer and thats not happening. All that does is give you way more responsiblity and take you out of hourly pay and put you into salary pay.(no overtime). My answer would have to be
" Very happy, have seen the other side of the fence and it not greener, it actually brown, but could always use more money."

As an engineer that gets salary but absolutely abused on hours and responsibility I can tell you that you are absolutely correct

Okin DaVanh
12-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Mines OK. I've also held 2 jobs at once plenty of times, and am still at the shop. So you know my answer. But like another post I've got here shows, it sucks sometimes, but definately has its perks.

I was a troubleshooter for AAA for the highline and luxury cars and problem calls. I also delivered wine/liquor. So I know about traveling for work and those jobs got worn out pretty quick. I guess knowing where the walls are is the only thing that sucks whenever I think about it. :-(

Perdue
12-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Mine is ok. My schedule is now pretty good since we've left the 24hr rotation for the most part. Now I work 12hr shifts, no more than three days straight, and I get a three day weekend every other weekend. No more up running calls for 24hrs or any of that crap. We recently got a 15% raise, which helped make getting my own place possible. Overtime is there sometimes, and not there others. At 27k/yr, I make enough to get by without OT, but it's nice to be able to buy toys now and again. There's been rumors of layoffs in the ranks, but the higher ups insist that is not the case. I went from hating my job to loving it in the matter of a few months. I'm actually thinking on advancing my certification to EMT-Paramedic, which will net me a 11k/yr raise and more job security. I'd still rather be a cop most of the time, but working the ambulance isn't so bad.

Huffer
12-02-2007, 09:31 PM
John - you should totally do the EMT certs - if anything they are useful to transfer across to other occupations - rafting guide etc.

You can also use those quals in sports training or even professional athletic emergency transport... ;)

Anything you can do to improve your skillset will help you eventually, provided you enjoy doing it.

Mr. Sociable
12-02-2007, 11:39 PM
John - you should totally do the EMT certs - if anything they are useful to transfer across to other occupations - rafting guide etc.

+1

SilentRacer
12-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I just started a new job and its tedious as hell. 13 hour days and work on weekends sometimes. Wanna freaking shoot myself daily. I do get payed by the hour though and overtime is x 1.5 ontop of pretty good pay. Lunch/dinner is free and cab ride home after 10pm. Its rare that fun jobs pay well :cry:.

Perdue
12-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I definately need to advance from my EMT-Basic. There's talk of another class sponsered by my company this upcoming fall, and I'm going to try and get into it. Before then, I need to get rid of this vehicle payment, which is why I'm looking/saving for another Legacy. I like my truck most days, but I liked the Legacy a lot more, plus it didn't have a payment. I still kick myself and wonder what happened to my car. Anyways, it'll take me a while to get there, and it's more responsibility, but I'll be able to buy a nice house and live comfortably once I get that done...just can't have a vehicle payment while I'm doing it.

Pipsta
12-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I wish the same thing about my BMW dealership... I hate it there...HATE IT.

LunchBox04V
12-14-2007, 04:39 PM
To be honest, I love my job! I work for any airline as a first officer. The pay is equal to others in the industry. I have been with my employer from August, and travel a lot too. Truth be told, I am sitting in a Detroit hotel.......trying not to go crazy from being bored. I am always looking for ways to improve the operation, making it safer for the passengers is always the number one thing.

For the rest of this month I have to sit reserve, or "on-call." kinda sucks, and I only get used if the weather gets bad, but if I get used a lot, I can make big overtime....... so hope for delays and bad weathe! Just kidding...... maybe not.

jduldula
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
I actually love my job.
But of course, it's easy to love anything that you're good at :winking:

I work stock(inventory and all that goodness) at an Express Ltd. store in a mall in SF, CA. And like anything it takes getting used to but I love it. Retail has its ups and downs, of course, with its customers that expect that you succumb to their will at the drop of a dime and the demand of respect when none is paid to the store associate, but thats just a minor thing. I love the feeling of helping another individual in whatever it is they need and by me being in the back, I know exactly what the store has and doesnt have and make it possible to expedite the process of getting you looking how you want to look.

It may be just a college job to make money to support school and my car (haha) but I love doing it and don't mind the stresses of demanding time efficiency and crazy high standards for a mall store.

decke48
01-10-2010, 09:20 AM

I wish the same thing about my BMW dealership... I hate it there...HATE IT.

i feel the same way at the ford/toyota dealership. but a couple of phone calls can shut down the place. for how unsafe it is, and how much fraud goes on there..

Nickel Plated
02-03-2015, 01:28 AM
Pretty happy with my job here.
I work as a union Derrickman (basically Ironworker kinda-sorta, for anyone who doesn't know what a Derrickman is.....which is everyone other than a Derrickman :p)
Pay is good, especially compared to the BS minimum wage jobs I had before. But I also like the work. It's physically tough, but the guys you work with are awesome and as long as you do what you're told and keep your head down it's pretty stress-free. Good benefits and overtime.

One real downside is, if you're looking for a steady paycheck this may not be the business for you. In the fall, spring, and summer you get good hours and rack up the overtime. But we generally don't work in inclement weather (rain, snow, below freezing) so it get's pretty rough around winter. Lot's of sitting home. So gotta learn to squirrel away that money.

The only real advancement for me here is pretty much to be a foreman. The pay would be a huge improvement. Not only do you get a nice bump in hourly pay, but you get straight time which is like having the best of both hourly and salary pay. But the responsibility is huge so I don't think I'd be ready for that for a long while. Right now I like being able to clock out at the end of the day and leave the job at the job.

I'll be taking the NY Sanitation test in a couple days so see how that turns out. Kind of a longshot probably, but a great job if you can get it. Either way I'm happy here so it's no worries. :sunny:

danieltrusty
03-28-2015, 01:34 AM
Since all of these old OT threads are coming back to life...
I drive semi, I have a Class A CDL and endorsements for everything available and a good driving record, I can literally make a phone call to any one of about 1000 trucking companies around here and have a new job the same day.

That being said, the only thing lacking where I am now is benifits, which is in the works as my employer is quite a small company and trying to set up a benifits package that is actually cost effective. My only supervisor is the owner of the company. The only thing I plan on doing at this point is taking some diesel tech. classes and getting an AAS in supply chain management and moving into more administrative work as the company expands.

And I should add that our main offices/warehouse/termimal is about a 5 minute drive/ 10 minute walk from home. Cant complain about that!

CaleDeRoo
03-30-2015, 03:12 AM
My job is ok for what it is. I probably get paid more than I should considering I never finished a year of college, but in the end it is just a job and not a career. Surely there's things I'd change to not only make my job easier/more streamlined, but I think I could make more of a difference managing other parts/departments of the company. I work behind the scenes, and quite honestly the customer facing employees are absolute shit. They aren't managed properly at all, since the management teams seem to not care anymore than the phone jockeys.

lord flashheart
03-30-2015, 02:37 PM
i feel the same way at the ford/toyota dealership. but a couple of phone calls can shut down the place. for how unsafe it is, and how much fraud goes on there..
I know that feel bro.
I worked for a shop and it would take one call to OSHA to shut it down. Somewhere I have pictures of some of the shit I saw. Its kinda demoralizing to work for a place that's so dubious and crooked. I saw them sell a 340k mile engine as "low mileage import from Japan" it was fuckin ridiculous. I almost died once while working there. After that I was like fuck this place.