PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good exhaust system

redlegacygt
08-05-2005, 03:29 PM
I found what i thought was a borla exhaust system for my car, but turns out it was labeled wrong on the website and is just the header. So my next question is what your guys have for exhausts and how pleased you are with them. this way i can get some ideas on what to look for.

badbasser98
08-05-2005, 03:34 PM
I like Stromung exhaust systems. If you already have the header, look into the Stromung high flow cat and muffler. Believe you can find both at Teagues Auto ( boxer4racing.com ).

Good luck,
-BB98

redlegacygt
08-08-2005, 09:17 PM
no i dont have the header but i have looked into it.. i didnt know which one makes sense to buy first. i have also looked at those exhausts and the i heard good things about them.

Pwise2326
08-08-2005, 10:18 PM
well no matter what grab a stromung catpipe, the catbacks are great as well. For the headers it depends how much you wanna spend. The TWE's are great for $699, but there are a lot of borla fans at $259.

Svenerachi1
08-14-2005, 10:55 PM
yeah, but don't the twe's, because they are equal-length, lose the boxer rumble and make the car sound more like a civic?

and are there any other options as far as headers go besides borla and twe?
Borla has fitting issues and twe's sound like a sewing machine on nitrous so i've heard, never had the chance to hear them on a car, hopefully the sound clips section will solve that issue

redlegacygt
08-15-2005, 11:42 AM
yeah thats what i heard too.. Im kinda leary on droppin 800 dollars on something thats going to make it sound like a civic... I think what im going to do for the exhaust is have a local shop do the piping. Now i just have to find the right borla muffler and tip, any ideas?

Pwise2326
08-15-2005, 10:21 PM
The cobb's are supposedly pretty good, not as well made as the TWE's but aside from the fitment issues with the goofy cat design it makes up a bit of power. Not sure on the boxer growl or lack there of, but then again they are equal length so believe what you want to hear. Borla's may just be the way to go for cost-effectiveness and keeping the sound, I haven't seen many other's that aren't equal length, I'll keep my ears open and see what I can come up with. If you do get the borlas make sure you wrap them pretty good so they don't crack unless Johnny Perdue's experience was a fluke, either way there's a million mile warranty on it so you'd be able to get it replaced for free regardless.

belladonna
08-15-2005, 10:30 PM
there's about 5000 miles on my borla header and it's holding up nice...they're into their gazillionth redesign so i should hope that all the bugs have been worked out by now...

as for borla muffler...i have a borla universal turbo series on my car right now...
dimensions are 13 1/4" x 4" x 9 1/2" with 2.25 in/out center/offset openings...

redlegacygt
08-16-2005, 02:44 PM
yeah i hope they would have all the bugs out by now too. I would definetly be alittle ticked if i bought the header and then had fitment problems. Hopefully if i do decide to go with the headers i get the right generation and the fitment is right. Although i might wait for shootout to see if anyone has something good there to offer.

P.S- Thanks for the dimensions belladona

SubiFlow
08-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Try a Flowmaster, sounnds good on my WRX, i'm going to put one on my Legacy soon.

InSaNe AzN KiD
08-18-2005, 07:33 PM
The cobb's are supposedly pretty good, not as well made as the TWE's but aside from the fitment issues with the goofy cat design it makes up a bit of power. Not sure on the boxer growl or lack there of, but then again they are equal length so believe what you want to hear. Borla's may just be the way to go for cost-effectiveness and keeping the sound, I haven't seen many other's that aren't equal length, I'll keep my ears open and see what I can come up with. If you do get the borlas make sure you wrap them pretty good so they don't crack unless Johnny Perdue's experience was a fluke, either way there's a million mile warranty on it so you'd be able to get it replaced for free regardless.

Mine have cracked as well, but i rewelded them (borla i think has a 3month turnaround or sumthing outrageous like that) and they have never been better. My new engine swap goin in will get a nice TWE EL header setup and many other goodies. i have the stromung track pipe and cat-back love it. borla is just for sound (header).

redlegacygt
08-19-2005, 03:12 PM
there seems to be many options, the exhaust i have on now sounds ok, but it just doesnt suit me any more, hell i bought the thing off ebay for 10 bucks by accident thinking that someone would out bid me with 4 days left! I needed on anyway since my stock one had a strange crack in it. To me it just seems like alot of people with the gt have a borla setup, from headers to muffler and seem to be real happy with it. But who knows, ill still check out flowmaster and see what they have too. I guess its better to look around then to just buy off instinct :D