PDA

View Full Version : I got a wobble.....why?

2deadlegs
08-06-2005, 03:40 PM
My 90 legacy wagon has a shimmy to it when I am slowing down. You can see the entire front end going from left to right. Regardless of weither or not I am on the brake the car shimmys.

Anyone got any idea what this is from?

Plays_with_Toys
08-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Do you have equal levels in your flux capacitor reservoirs (L/R)?

2deadlegs
08-07-2005, 03:12 AM
WTF?? I need logical answers as this concerns me.

jdmconnected
08-07-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm assuming you haven't been out rallying and hit a stump or something. :P

Guessing from what you've said so far, I haven't seen anything like that recently, but it reminds me of when my '79 T-Bird had some crappy tires in which the tread had begun to separate from the bands. The car would shake at low speeds just as you described.

Exacly how fast are you going when this happens? Does the steering wheel shake?

2deadlegs
08-07-2005, 10:45 AM
The tires have less than 10K miles on them and they are in great condition. I can't say I notice any "shake" but there is the movement that comes along with the front end going from left to right.

2deadlegs
08-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Somebody?? Anybody???

badbasser98
08-08-2005, 01:13 PM
going out on a limb, but may want to check into the idea of a bent wheel/hub... don't know if that could cause any more than a vibration, although I guess it would depend on the severity. Possibility of an alignment issue??

does it steer or handle weird? does the shimmy vary with speed? does it decrease or stop when accelerating? how much would you say that it is actually moving?

maybe this info could help someone better determine what the problem is.

-BB98

Plays_with_Toys
08-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Rotate your tires (front to rear) and see if its still persisting. If you notice it is coming from the back end after doing this or if the front end simply doesn't do it any more, then it is related to the front wheels/tires. If it continues from the front, we'll have to dive deeper.

How many miles are on the car? Do you notice the shimmy if you slowly accelerate? What if you are hard on the brakes?

Tokio
08-08-2005, 08:43 PM
im not trying to steal anyones thunder, but if the car shimmies only when youre slowing down... check the condition of your front brakes... its a common thing...

you may have a spot where the shoe was stuck for awhile and has left a spot, or you may have a couple hard spots on the disc... at any rate, check them out.

Pwise2326
08-08-2005, 09:26 PM
thats aaaafirmative, as long as it is happening when you are slowing down. Like jesse said maybe your rotors warped and the pads are sticking slightly. Check your brakes out, check the rim out, etc etc. Just to clarify, does the front of the car shake only or does the steering wheel shake. I'd lean more towards brakes or bad wheel bearings/alignment problems...but both of these you would mainly notice shaking the wheel more than the car. Maybe your P/S pump is going haywire? Maybe some air in the lines? Do some investigating and let us know what visible things you find.

2deadlegs
08-10-2005, 01:21 PM
The tires have less than 10K on them.

I'm begining to think it is the alignment making it do that as it pulls right. Not hard right but just a tad.

legacy92ej22t
08-10-2005, 02:31 PM
It could also be a bad ball joint or a problem with the tie rod. Jack the front end up and use a pry bar to check for any play in the suspension.

2deadlegs
08-11-2005, 04:16 AM
I can almost promise you both the tierods and balljoints are shot.

I just didn't think they would make it do that.

Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

galek_98gt
08-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

G I - JOE!!

2deadlegs
08-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Drivers side tie rod is shot...DOH!!!