PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a center diff on a manual?

Alcyone
12-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Has anyone ever replaced the viscous center diff on a manual before?
I'm having some banging noises coming from the tranny when moving in reverse and if I have to replace the tranny, i'm going to refresh or replace the center diff also, because i'm tired of spinning the front wheels everytime I crack on it in, in the rain or snow.
I mean, for God sakes, I have a rear LSD and it is barely noticable!

Perdue
12-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to completely disassemble to entire tranny to get the center diff out. Usually not something Joe Schmo can accomplish in his back yard. I wouldn't mess with it when you can get a used tranny out of a junkyard for next to nothing.

Sarra
12-03-2007, 02:09 AM
Yeah, the center diff is inside the main casing of the transmission.

I'd suggest buying a PPG gearset or something, and a decent aftermarket center diff, and replacing everything at the same time. The stock Subie center diffs, other than the STi's DCCD, suck. It's possible to overload the center diff in a stock car in low grip situations and get tires to spin.

IwannaRally
12-11-2007, 05:06 AM
i think i have the same problem front tires are spinning wayyyy too much only i have an automatic anyone know the average price would be to get this fixed in the shop? thers a local subaru only mechanic around so i think he would know what to do, later today after i sleep for 6 hours ima call him lol.