PDA

View Full Version : 4EAT Clunks into Reverse...

gtwagon941
01-01-2008, 04:31 PM
As the title says, the 4EAT on my girlfriend's 2001 LGT Sedan clunks pretty noticeably when you put it in Reverse. It is worse when it is cold. I've tried going from Park to Drive and then to Reverse, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Any idea on how to remedy this problem? Will it affect anything long term or just sound annoying/bad?

Also, when in drive and at idle/stopped the car vibrates. Any ideas on this one?

thanks

JS

Huffer
01-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Typical behaviour for a 4EAT. Try changing the fluids out and replacing, adding a bottle of Lubegard ATF Protectant...

If the car vibrates a lot, then change out the sparkplugs...you could also look at the engine mounts but unless they're really high mileage it won't be worth doing.

Hatter Madigan
01-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I have been having the same problem with vibration. I own a 2003 Legacy L Sedan and it also vibrates while in [D]. So far I have.....

*Changed the spark plugs and wires.
*Had my fluids checked and topped off, but not changed.

As far as I can tell it may have helped a bit, but not much. Also I live in Utah and it's been around 7 - 25 degrees outside so the cold may be playing a roll here. I just got my car so i don't know how it runs in the summer months.

I've been researching this for quite a while now and it seems that ALOT of people with automatic subarus have this vibration issue. I'd like to take my car to the COBB factory to see if they can diagnose the issue.

sansMYSTi
01-02-2008, 07:50 AM
I do not get vibrations, but I do get quite a clunk and jerk when I engage reverse in the cold.

_RM_
01-02-2008, 11:23 AM
How many miles do you guys have? Is this something to worry about on my 50k BH?

Huffer
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I have 216k on the BD...it happened when I bought it, at 160k.

It has been felt to lesser extents on 40k BE's, BH's..

Fluid changes are underrated...

rougeben83
01-02-2008, 12:44 PM
For all you guys having the clunking issue, I would change the ATF first and see if that helps the problem first.

Otherwise the noise/clunk may just be inherent in the torque converter. You can add a tranny cooler if you're worried about increased wear. Heat in an auto tranny is what typically kills it.

tnice17
01-03-2008, 05:31 PM
my 2000 BE did the EXACT same thing. check the tranny mount. mine was in 2 pieces. the rubber was ripped right off.

sansMYSTi
01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Unless my relatively new tranny mount bit it already, it is not the tranny mount - in my case anyway.