PDA

View Full Version : Holy gas mileage drop batman!

Plays_with_Toys
08-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey guys, remember how I got 27mpg after seafoaming my car? Well that was some highway mostly city. Otherwise I do all city and was getting 24-25mpg. Well, the last 3 tanks of the same driving I have been getting maybe 20mpg if that. I just got done doing 200 miles of highway driving and I averaged 21mpg. This all start happening after I reported that whirring noise after start up. But otherwise I have had no CELs. My engine power seems to have dropped and my intake noise (snorkusectomy roar) is quieter. Plugs and plug wires, fuel filter, and air filter are new, oil is almost 3000 miles old, but looks almost brand new. Temperatures have even been cooler than before and I still have this power loss. Any ideas???

Invisible_Soul
08-22-2005, 09:54 AM
What year is it? AT or MT?

I've had my 97 4AT for a few months now. The engine went and it was replaced since then I've had a winding noise like that at startup and through some acceleration. It's strange seems like the power just doesn't really hit the wheels like it should.

Maybe it's a tranny problem. I can't figure mine out yet and my mechanic doesn't know either.

Plays_with_Toys
08-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Sorry, its a 1996 Legacy L (that means its the 2.2) with a 5 speed and 127k miles. The whirring noise sounds like it is coming from the front/top of the motor. But it was making that noise for the last 60 miles of my 27mpg run, and I had two more 24mpg runs after that with the noise... Only now is my engine dogging.

Wiscon_Mark
08-23-2005, 02:15 PM
did you put seafoam in your oil?

Plays_with_Toys
08-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I put seafoam in a previous oil installment, but with this set of oil I didn't.

I pulled my airfilter which is only 2.5-3 months old (3000 miles) and it was charcoal black in the middle. Its a K&N and the surrounding area was purple (clean). It was black right infront of the inlet to the rest of the intake piping. Is it normal to get your filter dirty that quickly with the snorkus removed? I didn't drive in any real dusty situations that I can recall so this is very strange for me.

I cleaned it out and I have some more power/sound, a tiny tiny bit, only noticeable that my head cocks back in second gear a little, where before I felt no difference between 1/8 throttle and full throttle.

The gas mileage test will come with the next tank of gas.

badbasser98
08-24-2005, 09:52 AM
A dirty air filter can kill your gas mileage, but i don't know if it alone can cause that much of a loss. Please keep us posted to see if that was the problem.

-BB98

Invisible_Soul
08-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Anyway, soaked it for 4 hours, and holy nuts. White smoke, just pouring out. I read about the white smoke, didn't really believe the claims. But it just billowed out into the street.

You had left seafoam in for quite a while. I wonder if that has anything to do with your problems? Just a thought, since the bottle says to leave it for 5mins, but it doesn't say not to let it "soak". Hmmm...who knows.

Plays_with_Toys
08-25-2005, 12:59 AM
I did let it soak, but many others did the same thing, and it did run better after the initial treatment... We'll see. So far after 30 miles my power seems to be stronger especially at night. Also the needle didn't move at all.

Oh, my alternator as was suggested on nasioc is fine but I do still qualify for the recall they had on my car, so.... I get a free new alternator! :twisted: Now I will know if the alternator is the noise maker coming from the engine.

And I debadged the rear today... :twisted: Pics tomorrow.

Plays_with_Toys
08-25-2005, 02:45 AM
just a test really...