PDA

View Full Version : SEAFOAM

Invisible_Soul
08-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Well I just read about this stuff in the forum. I thought I would post a little info from the Seafoam site on this stuff. Just so it's easier to find. :)

EA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

100% Pure Petroleum
Use in All Engines in All Seasons
2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase

* Cleans fuel injectors
* Cleans carburetor jets
* Cleans carbon
* Stabilizes fuels
* Upper cylinder lube
* Removes moisture in fuel
* De-icer
* Frees sticky lifters
* Frees sticky rings
* Removes moisture in oil
* Cleans P.C.V. systems
* Cleans catalytic converter odors
* Oxygen sensor safe

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors

1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
4. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.

FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.
For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles

* A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.
* Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.
* Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.
* Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.
* Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.
* Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered.

When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor

* Cleans carbon build up
* Cleans intake valves and pistons
* Gives smoother idle
* Cleans catalytic converter odors
* Cures hesitations and pings
* Restores power and pickup
* With warm engine running, SLOWLY poor 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.
* For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.
* Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast.

When Added to Crankcase (Oil)

1. Frees sticky lifters and rings
2. Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression
3. Cleans dirty parts
4. Removes moisture
5. Cleans PCV valve systems

One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank

* Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
* Cleans carbon as you drive
* Lubricates upper cylinders
* De-ices and removes moisture
* Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
* Stabilizes fuel

One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

In Injector Cleaning Machines

Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Invisible_Soul
08-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Trans Tune

EA FOAM TRANS TUNE

Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Tune-Up Formula

* Cleans gum & varnish
* Smoothes rough and erratic shifting
* Maintains smooth operation
* Auto-transmission flush
* Power steering and rack and pinion flush
* Cleans and dries hydraulics

Works and Performs Instantly

* Conditioner that is not a stop leak
* Cleans sticky valve bodies and governors
* Use to flush power steering and rack and pinion units
* Safe, fast, and reliable

A 100% pure petroleum product. SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE is a conditioner that is not a stop leak and is entirely compatible with all automatic transmission, power steering and hydraulic units.

When to Use SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE

* For peak performance use SEA FOAM TRANS TUNE as directed when changing transmission fluid as preventive maintenance and to keep parts clean and maintain proper performance.
* When erratic shifting is experienced, add 1/2 pint as directed to restore smooth performance. Do not overfill. Fluid can be changed at regular service basis.
* When flushing is required prior to installing a new rack and pinion, use TRANS TUNE as directed.

Results Used in Automatic Transmission

* Smoothes rough shifting, skip shifting, and slow shifting.
* Removes harmful gum, varnish and moisture deposits from valve bodies, governors and other internal parts.

For Use in Automatic Transmissions

* With transmission at operating temperature, check the fluid level. Add 1/2 to 1 pint TRANS TUNE to the transmission fluid. This normally will not overfill the fluid level, however, the fluid level should never exceed the manufacturers recommended level.
* For best results use 1/2 to 1 pint TRANS TUNE in the transmission fluid prior to a transmission flush or fluid and filter change. Drive at least five miles shifting into all gears. If you are not able to drive the vehicle, shift into all gears for about 3 minutes with the brake or parking brake applied. This will allow TRANS TUNE to clean transmission valves and parts in each area. When additional cleaning is necessary add 1/2 pint of TRANS TUNE to the transmission fluid and change the transmission fluid on a regular service basis.
* A PROPERLY MAINTAINED AND CLEAN TRANSMISSION WILL RESULT IN SMOOTHER OPERATION AND LONGER LIFE!

Results of Power Steering Flush

* Prolongs power steering and rack and pinion life.
* Thoroughly cleans power steering system before installation of new rack and pinions and Power Steering Pumps.

For Use in Power Steering Units

* If rack and pinion or power steering pump replacement is necessary, be sure system is flushed before installing new rack or flush for preventive
maintenance.
* To flush the power steering unit, drain power steering pump reservoir and fill the reservoir with 1/2 pint of TRANS TUNE. Run engine to pump fluid through system for 15 to 30 minutes, turning the steering wheel from lock to lock every 5 minutes. This will dissolve varnish and suspend contaminants into the fluid. Stop engine and drain fluid from reservoir placing the return line in drain pan. Cap reservoir. Disable ignition. Turn engine off with starter and run 1 1/2 pints of TRANS TUNE through power steering reservoir to flush system of all contamination. Then flush system with power steering fluid.
* After flush is completed refill reservoir with new power steering fluid.

A properly maintained transmission and power steering unit results in smoother operation and longer transmission and steering unit life.

For Use in Hydraulics

* Add 1 pint of TRANS TUNE to every four gallons of hydraulic fluid, to dry moisture and clean varnish from valves. For best results, use prior to changing hydraulic fluid.
* When additional cleaning is necessary add 1 pint of TRANS TUNE to every 8 gallons hydraulic fluid and change hydraulic fluid on a regular service basis.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/transTuneTech.htm

Invisible_Soul
08-22-2005, 10:36 AM
SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP

DEEP CREEP a Multitude of Uses!

LUBRICATES pulleys, ball bearings, hinges, wheels, fishing reels, sewing machines, valves, locks, rollers, toys, bicycle chains, gears, fan blades and drawers.

PENETRATES rusted parts, seized parts, muffler clamps, heat risers and exhaust bolts.

CLEANS grease, tar, adhesives and metal parts.
ALL OF THESE USES AND MANY MORE

Safe, Fast, and Reliable
Penetrates, Lubricates and Cleans

* Penetrating lubricant
* Penetrates rusted parts
* Air intake cleaner
* Carbon remover
* Engine fogging oil
* Starting spray with lube
* Airtool lubricant and cleaner
* Gun cleaner and lubricant
* Lock lubricant and de-icer
* Moisture dispersant
* Metal surface protectant
* Road tar remover
* Adhesive and grease cleaner
* Lubricates pulleys, hinges, locks and toys and much more!

Cleans, penetrates, lubricates and dries, all from a 100% pure petroleum product. For use in all 2 and 4 cycle gas and diesel engines. Spray into carburetor to start engines. Use to clean and lubricate air tools, door locks, and guns. Hundreds of household and shop uses. DEEP CREEP works with instant action and is oxygen sensor safe. DEEP CREEP is SEA FOAM in an aerosol can.

DEEP CREEP Air Intake Cleaner

1. Run engine to normal operating temperature.
2. Shut engine off and disconnect air intake boot.
3. Spray DEEP CREEP into throat with throttle plate open. Saturate and soak. Clean with a soft toothbrush or cloth if necessary.
4. Spray into throat with straw attached to finalize cleaning.
5. Reconnect air intake boot and drive.
6. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated as fumes may be extreme for a short time.
7. Safe for teflon coatings, lubricates bushings.

DEEP CREEP Carbon Cleaner
# Gives smoother idle
# Cleans intake valves and pistons
# Cures hesitations and pings
# Restores power and pickup

With engine warm, keep on high idle and spray through carburetor, or throttle body throat. If engine is port injected, use only vacuum lines that feed all cylinders. When engine is loaded up, turn off ignition. Restart engines after 5 minutes. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated as fumes will be extreme for a short time. Ideal for small engines. Use a Schraeder Valve hose attachment if needed for outboard motors. For further cleaning, use SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT in tank.

DEEP CREEP Engine Fogging

For storage, the engine should be thoroughly saturated internally with DEEP CREEP. Spray through carburetor, throttle body or vacuum line and into the spark plug holes. Use Schraeder Valve hose attachment if needed for outboards.

DEEP CREEP Penetrating Lubricant/Cleaner/Drier

Frees rusted and sticky parts upon contact, DEEP CREEP immediately begins to "Creep" deeply into otherwise unreachable targets. Stops squeaks, displaces moisture, protects and cleans metal parts. Is your best chance to free a seized engine. Saturate area with DEEP CREEP and soak. When parts are severely stuck, use DEEP CREEP after parts have been heated.

Starting Spray with Lube

Spray DEEP CREEP into carburetor, spark plug holes or into main manifold vacuum lines to start gasoline engines, two and four cycle. Spray light mist into air intake to start diesel engines. Engine exhaust may be extreme for a few minutes. Use DEEP CREEP in well ventilated areas only.

Gun Cleaner and Oil

DEEP CREEP cleans and dissolves buildup of gun powder and lubricates parts with only one application.

Moisture Disperser

DEEP CREEP Disperses moisture off metal parts and surfaces. Use on wet engines, parts, bolts, clamps, etc. To lubricate and keep from rusting.

Air Tool Oil

DEEP CREEP lubricates, dissolves varnish and dries moisture. Spray into nipple.

Door Lock De-Icer

Spray DEEP CREEP into frozen or corroded locks to dry, melt ice and lubricate.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/deepCreepTech.htm

Wiscon_Mark
08-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the info :)

I'm gonna try this soon enough, hopefully it will yield good results cause the engine hasn't been cleaned like that for 172k :D

ooberdoob
10-27-2005, 12:29 PM
i *heart* seafoam. thats the best stuff on the market.

Huffer
10-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Where is a good place to get it? Is it frequently stocked at Autozone etc?

Reason
10-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Where is a good place to get it? Is it frequently stocked at Autozone etc?

Yea Autozone has it, I don't think pepboys have it (they could in your area though)

ooberdoob
10-27-2005, 05:25 PM
advance auto too

Wiscon_Mark
10-27-2005, 08:41 PM
the hardware stores with bigger automotive sections (like fleet farm, a midwest company, has about 10 aisles for the car/truck :D) will have it too.

I love the stuff, we'll see what kinda mileage I get, I just filled up :)

gil_ong81
10-27-2005, 08:51 PM
damn. i feel cheated for not being able to use the Trans Tune on my manual.

Wiscon_Mark
10-27-2005, 08:54 PM
damn. i feel cheated for not being able to use the Trans Tune on my manual.

then just remember how much fun it is to drive a manual :D

Huffer
10-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Someone give me a pic of which line to pour Seafoam into. I don't want to fugg it up!

Plays_with_Toys
10-28-2005, 03:39 PM
I used the PCV line tilted up feeding into the PCV valve. It needs a vacuum line that feeds to the engine. So the brake booster line could work too. The main thing is not pouring it in too fast. Just a little at a time. I've even heard of people buying drip lines to control it better.

95legacyl
10-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Someone give me a pic of which line to pour Seafoam into. I don't want to fugg it up!
i stole this from the other forum about this

Hey check it out, I'm using your pic!

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/07/JunctionBolt-1.jpg

Ok right under the bundle of red wires on the right, you see cables running through. They then go up above the big thing of electricalr tape. Well there s a piece of metal, kind of looks like a hand with a finger pointing to the left. That's the throttle.

Now, on the left, under the bundle of wires is a rust brown thing screwed into the manifold. Bingo, PCV valve, with the hose I used to pour the sea foam.

Remember, very little at a time. Mine made a sucking noise (like you when drink with a straw from a cup and you hit the bottom, its that slurping noise) and that was a clue it just guzzled alot in, and I was going to have to blip the throttle.

Wiscon_Mark
10-30-2005, 12:30 PM
With Captions:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/10/Seafoamcopy-1.jpg

When I did this, I took the tube off of the crankcase outlet, and put my funnel into the tube, and poured in there. My dad revved the engine for me. There's quite a lot of suction in that thing at 3k :shock:

Another thing I did as long as i had my manifold cover off and stuff, was I took the PCV valve out (19mm wrench) and cleaned it off, as it had a lot of gunk in it :? You could also replace it...

Plays_with_Toys
10-30-2005, 02:51 PM
NOOOOO FUNNEL! Way too easy to pour too much in with a funnel. There is a seafoam thread in general tech, which links to a yotatech thread about seafoam (where I got the idea), in which a guy bent some rods in his engine because he flooded it with seafoam and tried to start it. Pouring too much in can be bad.

BTW, mark, whats happened with your gas mileage?

Wiscon_Mark
10-30-2005, 02:58 PM
um, the thread I read about bending the rods had nothing to do with seafoam, it was a different product. And I was careful not to flood it at all. it was just so I didn't spill.

As for gas mileage, I don't know, I haven't filled up yet. I don't drive a whole lot of miles if I can't help it because I'm poor and gas is $$

Plays_with_Toys
10-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Lucky. I fill up once a week :( My school is 20 miles away one way. Then I have work. If I go see my girlfriend (100 miles one way) then I fill up twice in a week. :shock: I can't wait to get back to my university.

Huffer
10-31-2005, 10:45 AM
Cheers team! :)

gil_ong81
11-03-2005, 02:45 PM
i FINALLY gots me some SEAFOAM today!!! :D :D :D

95legacyl
11-03-2005, 08:44 PM
i FINALLY gots me some SEAFOAM today!!! :D :D :D
have you used it yet and if you did could you tell any differances

gil_ong81
11-03-2005, 08:51 PM
i bought 2 cans, and poured one into the fuel tank. it says that 1 pint (16 oz = 1 can) treats between 8 and 25 gallons or 1 oz/gal, so i assume it should be fine.

only ran about 10 miles so far, but can ALMOST feel a diff already. can't exactly put my finger on it, but things just seem lighter (especially throttle response).

Another thing i've notice thus far is that the exhaust smells different (bear in mind that i have a gutted cat).

Wiscon_Mark
11-03-2005, 08:58 PM
I've been getting EXCELLENT MILEAGE (no exact figures, but unless my guage is completely erratic, I'm well above the norm) :D

We'll see when I fill up. Gas went down to 2.39 here today...I'm wondering how far it will go...

gil_ong81
11-03-2005, 09:16 PM
I've been getting EXCELLENT MILEAGE (no exact figures, but unless my guage is completely erratic, I'm well above the norm) :D

We'll see when I fill up. Gas went down to 2.39 here today...I'm wondering how far it will go...

BUSTED!!

Wiscon_Mark
11-03-2005, 09:17 PM
um, chronology would tell us to check the thread that is relevent to.

;)

oh, btw, I've posted in like 10 threads before you even put that up :lol:

gil_ong81
11-03-2005, 09:20 PM
yeah yeah. i don't live here like some. ;)

95legacyl
11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
im planning on getting some this weekand and gas seems cheap around here its like 2.10

Wiscon_Mark
11-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I would kill for 2.10 :o

Huffer
11-04-2005, 10:04 AM
OT, we got 2.13.9 - I get 2.11.9 with my Speedway discount card. :D

badbasser98
11-04-2005, 06:27 PM
$2.49 here :(

Been looking into SeaFoam... how hard is it to apply? Is it easy to fudge up your engine?

-BB98

Wiscon_Mark
11-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Seafoam is very easy to apply. I should do a writeup. Look at the picture above. I believe your 2.5 engine should be similar.

gil_ong81
11-08-2005, 07:41 PM
have you used it yet and if you did could you tell any differances

haven't run through a tank of gas yet, so i can't tell you if gas mileage has improved.

however, i put the 2nd can in my fiancee's car, and her starting is much much easier. so it HAs to work a little.

white96gt
12-18-2005, 06:17 PM
I have not used seafoam.. BUT I am a ford certified tech, and I work at a linc/merc dealer along with subaru . That being said, I want to share my experience with a ford product that is like(probably is) seafoam. We had a tech clean the engine using a vacuum line.. He ended up snapping a rod and putting the rod through both sides of the block. Ford reccomends putting the solvent (pm-3 is its ford number) into an can that can be compressed then sprayed. (a common version would be a Sureshot) then disconnect the maf, unhook the intake, spray it directly into the throttle body at 1500rpm let it sit for at least 8 hours and drive it out. It Will smoke like crazy when you drive it. Repeat it 3 more times, and voila... it cleans the intakee, the valves and the cylinder... I do this normally at work, and also have done this to both my cars... just my 2 cents. If any one has questions, you can pm me and I am always willing to help
Don

Plays_with_Toys
12-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah, if you flood the engine and it stalls out you can do some uber damage, but the main thing is just pouring it in nice and slow. real slow. If you're really worried, invest in a drip line to put it in.

dropdfocus
02-02-2006, 06:45 AM
We have a product like this at work & we add it into a bottle that has a small tube connected at the bottom so you can hang it and it will run through the tube. The tube has a valve in line so you can control the drip amount. The company recommends a steady drip (just before it becomes a solid stream of fluid) through a vacuum line. It looks almost exactly like SeaFoam.

I've just recently started using SeaFoam in my '81 Kawasaki 550 with good results just by adding it in the gas tank. Better gas milage & better throttle response. So I plan to add this to the next tank of gas in the wife's 2.5GT and see what happens.

BuruKid
02-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Just a thought about people worried about pouring too much. If you poured a little bit into a bowl. Then used a visine tears bottle and fill it with sea foam. just a thought. it would probly take a while.

Wiscon_Mark
02-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Just a thought about people worried about pouring too much. If you poured a little bit into a bowl. Then used a visine tears bottle and fill it with sea foam. just a thought. it would probly take a while.

good idea, but you'd need a bottle that held more volume, otherwise you'd have to stop and refill it all the time.

dropdfocus
02-02-2006, 07:47 PM
That's why a small clear tube (so you can see the amount) w/ a valve to control the amount of fluid is the best option. Plus you can get a tapered rubber plug w/ a fitting on the end to go into a hose like the brake booster line.

Plays_with_Toys
02-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah, buy a drip line/valved line for extra precaution.

Manarius
02-18-2006, 02:32 PM
When I put in Seafoam for the first time, the car stalled out. Didn't throw a rod or whatever the heck that ford guy was talking about.

Second time: got my dad to hold the car at 1500 and I poured it down. Smoked like a mother. Car runs damn smooth now.

Wiscon_Mark
02-18-2006, 02:36 PM
yeah, you've gotta get the revs up there, and pour very slowly.

You won't throw a rod, I don't think...that just sounds like paranoia to me. The case where you'd be getting crazy stuff like that happening is if the stuff were to thin the oil out to a dangerous level, and then the engine would be running essentially without oil (because the oil would be ineffective).

Reason
02-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm going to add this to my crankcase. How many miles is it safe to drive before I change my oil?

Wiscon_Mark
02-19-2006, 07:29 PM
I drove about 1000. I'm not sure how often the oil recirculates after, but the filter should pick up most of it.

tekkitan
04-12-2006, 10:48 PM
some of you guys are scaring me about actually doing this :)

rlax31
04-14-2006, 08:40 PM
I seafoamed my Legacy today (153k) and now I have a check engine light popping up. Haven't had time to scan it, will probably do it tomorrow.

I added about an 8th bottle to the gas tank, and about half a bottle through the brake booster vacuum line. i had someone hold the car at about 1500rpm so that it wouldn't stall out. smoked like hell, but now the CE light is on.

Anyone have an idea of what might have happend? Maybe an o2 sensor got clogged with a bunch of sh!t from all the junk getting shot out the exhaust?

Plays_with_Toys
04-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Maybe an o2 sensor got clogged with a bunch of sh!t from all the junk getting shot out the exhaust?

That'd be my bet. Did you plug the booster line back on? Is it running rough? If it is the O2, don't go through subaru. oxygensensors.com or something has the subaru plug for over $100 less than OEM. Is it the original O2 sensor?

rlax31
04-16-2006, 10:36 AM
It is running pretty smooth, the first couple starts after the seafoam were a little strange though. When I start it up it'll idle at 2k for a few seconds before it slowly goes back down. It also ran real rough one of the starts, but that seems to be gone now.

Not sure if it's the orginal o2, I just bought the car, and it didn't have much of any documentation. I have to change the cat out anyway (has a leak) so I'll give the o2 sensor there a good look.

Is that the only place there is an o2 in the exhaust of these cars? Is there one by the muffler or anywhere else? i'm guessing there is one by the exhaust manifold.

Wiscon_Mark
04-16-2006, 10:42 AM
There are 2 o2 sensors. one is pre-cat, the other is right on the cat.

Huffer
09-06-2006, 12:40 AM
I just dumped half a can into my car tonight - about 3/4 of a tank of gas.

Started it up, left it idling on the driveway. Backed up a bit, and there's this HUGE puddle of moisture on the driveway! I started to panic, thinking maybe I had a gas leak or transmisson problem... sniffed - nothing. No smell at all.
The puddle started to evap.

I checked under the car, all the way along the driveline - got to the join between the mid-pipe and axle-back, and there's WATER dripping from the gasket (I obviously haven't sealed that properly).

I check the Seafoam can - it's ingredients purport to displace moisture from the engine - so it looks like it's definitely working then.

I also noticed tonight that I appear to have a minor oil leak on at least one of the rockers. We'll see if Seafoam accelerates that problem any.

also - shouldn't this thread be part of the Toolbox forum?

gil_ong81
09-06-2006, 11:14 AM
probably moisture from your tank?

Huffer
09-06-2006, 11:28 AM
^^ yeah, probably. Not really worried about it unless I spring a major oil leak. 190k without any oil problems is pretty good!

gil_ong81
09-06-2006, 12:10 PM
did you ever leave the car running in the driveway before? maybe there'd be a puddle then too? did you recently mess with the exhaust? make all that water used to just make its way to the muffler, and sat there and evaporated.

just a few random thoughts.

Huffer
09-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Nah, the puddle definitely was new - I laid alongside the car and watched water/moisture drip out of the exhaust join. I recently replaced the mid-pipe so I probably didn't torque the bolts down enough to seal properly. I'll be doing that later.

No problems so far, fiancee drives the car 50miles a day to work, she told me the gas tank was reading fine and that the car was fine to drive.

gil_ong81
09-06-2006, 02:38 PM
No problems so far, fiancee drives the car 50miles a day to work, she told me the gas tank was reading fine and that the car was fine to drive.
fiancee?! is this new or have i just missed it in the past??

congrats, mate!

Wiscon_Mark
09-06-2006, 02:53 PM
yeah, no kidding. I just remember "girlfriend" before ;)

I think the off topic deserves pictures (or ban!).

Huffer
09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
^^ oh, my bad! :lol: Yes, fiancee. Wedding in 7mths. Thanks!

2.5GT
10-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Bringing back the old topic.

So do i take out the PCV valve and pour the Seafoam in it? or do i leave it and pour it in the hose connected to the PCV valve?

Or is there another way to do this?

Wiscon_Mark
10-14-2006, 08:07 PM
it's much easier with the hose.

Reason
10-14-2006, 09:02 PM
it's much easier with the hose.

yes it is

SacSubie
10-18-2006, 06:23 PM
I have added the Seafoam to my Gas Tank and Oil, I ran the car at idle for 10 minutes then drove it about 3 miles.. Now the rest is just sitting in there i guess.. lol

I notice a HUGE change in my smoothness.. i have also put in new V-Power NGK's (replacing the Champions the old owner had in there)..

I want to put the remaining half ( 1/3 rd ) into the pvc valve / clean out the carbon on the valves and such... how ever.... WHERE THE HELL DO I POUR IT! lol im use to my old mazda 1.8 im not a total moron how ever... its been about 3 years since i have owned a car. and going from a 1.8 Inline 4 to this subaru is hard on my brain lol

Can some one tell me what to look for or the best way to do this as a one man team? I dont have anyone to hold the throttle for me so im sure ill have to use the throttle cable... can i put a little in a dish and suck it up with the hose or what? or can i juse use a hose and stick it in the can of seafoam... theres no actual write up on this yet.. and im dying to let the seafoam sit as i sand and buff my headlights out.. lol

SacSubie
10-18-2006, 06:34 PM
BTW i have a 93 Legacy L AWD Wagon...

Wiscon_Mark
10-18-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a picture already posted in this thread, but...

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/11/PCVValvePic-1.jpg

SacSubie
10-18-2006, 07:27 PM
my engin seems to differ from that one probly because mines older i have a EJ22 Phase I SOHC 16valve... any chance you can point it out on a photo for that model?

Plays_with_Toys
10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I took the PCV line and disconnected it down below, tilted it up (because it has a 90* bend) poured a very small amount in while revving the engine with my hand. I would maybe stick a screw driver between the manifold and the throttle cable acuator thing that way you are revving the engine with out your hand on the throttle, and if you pour a little too much in, then you can reach over and give the throttle a blip. The biggest key is pouring very very slowly. Once the bottle is emptied turn the car off and let it sit for 6 hours. Turn the key, prime the motor, and start it up. White smoke will absolutely gush out. It'll keep smoking for a good few minutes. Here's a video I found for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1kiByFrcgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhO-hU8J6vs

SacSubie
10-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Crap im on dial up! hahaha Waiting..... waiting....

SacSubie
10-19-2006, 04:10 PM
HELL YEAH! I got it. Thanks for everyones help on the forum.

Wiscon_Mark
10-19-2006, 05:57 PM
no pictures in your signatures please.

2.5GT
10-21-2006, 04:28 PM
So i pick up a bottle of Seafoam today at Advance for $5.

I pour not even about half the bottle of fluid in the crankcase, i heard a ticking sound. So i shut off the engine and pour the rest into my gas tank.

waited 5 minutes or so.

Then i start up the car, it idles normal, start up pretty quick since the engine was already warm. And there wasn't any sign of smoke, I didnt pour enough in the crankcase i guess.

The engine feels and sounds the same with the seafoam. I'll see how it goes through out the week with the Seafoam in the gas tank.

I might have to get another bottle and do this again. This ticking noise was kinda weird...a lift?

Wiscon_Mark
10-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I hope you poured slowly...

Plays_with_Toys
10-21-2006, 07:44 PM
When you say you poured it into the crank case, how did you do that exactly??? And did you do it slowly, and keep the gas slightly depressed the entire time?

A 5 minute soak probably wouldn't do alot. I waited 6 hours. I've heard of people waiting over night even.

2.5GT
10-21-2006, 09:55 PM
I pour it in the PCV valve hose connected to the intake box w/ other vaccum hoses. And i did pour it in slowly but it took forever and plus i didnt want to lock the engine by pouring it in too fast.
So i puncture a hole in the cap and screw the cap on the bottle and let it drip.

Then i heard the ticking sound after a few minutes. seems to be comming from the left head.

2.5GT
10-25-2006, 01:44 PM
So I tried Seafoam again today.

I pour almost 1/3 fluid in like the bottle said. I stuck a piece of metal in the throttle control and let it sit at 1k. And when its all done, shut the car off for about 5 min.

Start the car, and there was just a little bit of white smoke. So i guess my car wasn't that dirty inside. But the start up was quick and kinda smooth idling.

Seafoam was ok, didn't see a big change in how the engine runs :roll:

Wiscon_Mark
10-25-2006, 03:19 PM
The PCV valve is not connected to the intake box.

You mean the intake manifold?

2.5GT
10-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah the intake manifold. The hose connected to the PCV.

drano
11-25-2006, 12:58 PM
so i want to use seafoam today....but i also want to change my oil today too.

shold i do seafoam first and then drive around and change the oil, or should i change the oil and then use the sea foam?

gil_ong81
11-25-2006, 03:01 PM
there are 3 distinct uses that have been discussed, so it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

1. add to fuel - any time
2. dribble into PCV - any time, but maybe more useful after seafoam'd fuel has been run.
3. add to oil - run it, and then change oil. the time i did it, i went approx 500 miles before changing my oil.

drano
11-25-2006, 06:55 PM
there are 3 distinct uses that have been discussed, so it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

1. add to fuel - any time
2. dribble into PCV - any time, but maybe more useful after seafoam'd fuel has been run.
3. add to oil - run it, and then change oil. the time i did it, i went approx 500 miles before changing my oil.

ive done the gas already....my gas milage is horrible too, after using it. i put it in and filled up. ive gone about 120 miles on half a tank...is that normal for the first application in a tank.

i was gonna do the oil and pcv types today. i guess ill just do the pcv and wait on the oil until its closer to time to change again.

Plays_with_Toys
11-25-2006, 09:20 PM
I actually got better mileage when its in the tank... Not by much, but a little. I just did the PCV again. I found a real easy way...

Get a small hair spray bottle (its for damping your hair). Fill it with seafoam, and set it it mist and rev to about 3k RPMs and you'll get tons of suction out of the PCV. The engine didn't bog down at all with the misting technique and alot easier doing it on my own that way.

As for oil, leave it out until closer to an oil change. Also REMEMBER not to overfill your oil with this. Remember there is a recommended oil capacity and seafoam will add to this.

gil_ong81
01-13-2007, 11:10 AM
this is the most extensive discussion of Seafoam i knwo of so i'll ask here.

is there a possibility of adding too much seafoam to your tank? how much is "enough"? what'll happen if you add in too much?

Wiscon_Mark
01-13-2007, 11:19 AM
well, too much to the tank wouldn't be as bad as too much into the PCV line or the oil...

But I'd imagine you'd get some pretty poor performance if you poured a whole bottle of it into a nearly empty tank...I doubt it would kill anything.

Plays_with_Toys
01-15-2007, 02:45 AM
I've poured an entire bottle in with a 1/4 tank drove around and then filled up. No ill effects. I can't imagine you'd have a much stronger concentration than that.

StatGSR
03-17-2007, 08:20 PM
just figured id add this, i saw the word "crankcase" get tossed around a bit. crankcase refers to your lubrication system that means into your oil or 710 cap, not the proper term for adding to intake or vacume line.

my question is, does anybody know for sure if the PCV allows for good flow of seafoam to every cylinder, because i know thats the problem with using the brake booster line on subarus it only gets to one bank. and i know most boosted guys just go in through the BOV.

Wiscon_Mark
03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
It enters very close to the center of the intake manifold...I would say it's as good as any, although if you can get seafoam into the intake (obviously you cannot take it off, because the MAF would get no signal) it would be better, but I can't see any better way otherwise.

StatGSR
03-19-2007, 07:18 PM
^ well i guess besides getting the deep creep, and spraying it in through the intake at the MAF, i guess there isnt any better ones...

deadlydave
09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
just figured id add this, i saw the word "crankcase" get tossed around a bit. crankcase refers to your lubrication system that means into your oil or 710 cap, not the proper term for adding to intake or vacume line.

my question is, does anybody know for sure if the PCV allows for good flow of seafoam to every cylinder, because i know thats the problem with using the brake booster line on subarus it only gets to one bank. and i know most boosted guys just go in through the BOV.

I've never done this before, has anyone done added seafoam through the BOV? I'm new to the turbo realm, so...be patient. :wink:

I'm going to toss some in the next gas tank anyway.

99gtlimited
01-13-2008, 12:57 AM
have many of you guys done this on the EJ25D??? i want to try it through the PCV valve, i've done with through the gas tank before, great stuff.

2.5GT
01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
make sure the engine stays at a constant rpm...say 3k. and pour the seafoam in slowly a bit at a time...it'll start to bog if you pour it in too quickly..worst case..flood the engine.

shizznats
01-19-2008, 01:53 AM
It enters very close to the center of the intake manifold...I would say it's as good as any, although if you can get seafoam into the intake (obviously you cannot take it off, because the MAF would get no signal) it would be better, but I can't see any better way otherwise.

Actually, there is a way to put seafoam right into the TB with cars that have a MAF. Believe it or not, my gf is the one who came up with the following idea:
Buy one can of Seafoam Deep Creep. Disconnect the intake at the TB, but leave it very close to the TB opening, almost flush with it, but with a slight gap (enough to shove the red straw from the seafoam can in there). Then start the car... it should start normal and it should even idle fine; the MAF did not seem to mind the gap at all. Then just rev the car to 2000 rpms and spray the seafoam straight in the TB. My car didnt even stutter once, but white smoke came flyin out the back. Its gonna sit overnight and ill drive it spiritedly tomorrow, just like the can says :grin:

Reason
01-19-2008, 03:55 AM
It's not the MAF that needs the air flowing. I think it's called an IAC valve or something like that. Disconnect your MAF at your intake and be amazed as the car still runs. :lol:

shizznats
01-19-2008, 05:36 PM
It's not the MAF that needs the air flowing. I think it's called an IAC valve or something like that. Disconnect your MAF at your intake and be amazed as the car still runs. :lol:

I dare say to you Reason: thats false. Tried it yesterday and it is impossible to disconnect the intake at the TB and keep the car alive for more than 1.5 seconds. The car will start, rev to 1000rpms and die instantly. and heres why: the MAF needs to know how much air is flowing through the intake so it can tell the ECU how much fuel to add to keep a good mixture. HOWEVER, if you disconnect the MAF from the ECU, it no longer cares, and you can take the intake off if you like. either way works.

Reason
01-19-2008, 06:40 PM
You are doing something wrong shizzy.

DOOK
01-19-2008, 08:23 PM
car should idle normally with no MAF, it should only engage above a certain RPM.

shizznats
01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
lol ok guys. im telling you i actually, physically, really did take the intake off and the car would not run. im not speculating what would happen, im just telling you what did happen. there isnt much you can do wrong with something like this, haha. plus i talked to a subaru tech and he said theres no way a car with a MAF will run if you take off the intake. AND i tried this with my gf's car, a 2001 mazda... same thing. i even floored the gas, started the car, and the car started, revved to 1500rpm for a second and immediately died. with foot off the gas when starting it, the same exact thing happened. thus it made the ECU no differnce whether the TB was open or not, it kills the engine when the MAF has no airflow.

if it was so simple, why would people be bothering with PVC hoses and vacuum lines when clearly its easier and more effective through the TB.

Plays_with_Toys
01-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I'll concur with shizznats. I've unplugged the maf before and my car just instantly dies.

DOOK
01-20-2008, 01:53 PM
hmm, that's weird. I never tried with my subaru, but on both my turbo B series honda builds and my SR swapped S chassis nissan builds they will idle correctly with no MAF plumbed in yet, only causing the car to die under increased acceleration. I think the nissan it was around 1.8k and the hondas were like 2.5k.

Wiscon_Mark
01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Sorry, Shane, that's not correct. For the car to idle, you need the IAB line in place, but if you're revving it with the manifold disconnected, the MAF won't pick up on the air flow and the engine will run ultra lean and kill.

Reason
01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Maybe I was dreaming it when I did it.

Wiscon_Mark
01-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Maybe I was dreaming it when I did it.

I'm surprised you didn't destroy the engine if you did pull it off. You're throwing the MAF readings off regardless, which is a very dangerous thing to do when putting something like seafoam through it.

Reason
01-25-2008, 12:06 AM
We all learn some way, it wanted to die, and it did the first 2 or 3 times. But I got it to work and I didn't have a problem after that. If this way can blow up your engine I don't suggest doing it that way. I guess next time I'll just use a vacuum line.

RootedTree
02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
seafoam is awesome. put it in tonight left in for 3 hours. drove about, the car is already feeling more lively. im a believer!

ShadowVlican
03-28-2008, 10:58 PM
what's more effective: using the PCV or the brake booster?

also, how many miles did you guys drive before changing the oil? (i see some people here have done 500-1K miles)

2.5GT
03-29-2008, 10:16 AM
PCV i say is the best route.

i did it without changing the oil right away..1-2k i say. and wasn't that dirty.

OutbackMat
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll concur with shizznats. I've unplugged the maf before and my car just instantly dies.

I accidentally left the MAF unplugged my old '99GT one time and the car threw a CEL at me then revved & idled in limp mode.

Mikey97D
07-03-2008, 11:30 AM
I was expecting to see some change after adding a pint to the gas tank, but I'm surprised to see a difference and it's still 3/4 full tank. My car only has 65k miles, but the person before me didn't keep up with maintenance which becoming obvious.

The motor is running smoother. When at a stop in drive with the air conditioning running, the motor would struggle. Yesterday I noticed the motor wasn't struggling and making vibration. Can't wait now to do the plugs & wires.

Fizzle
09-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Am i reading wrong, or can you just add this to the gastank instead of driping it in thru a vaccum hose?

99SUS SFD
09-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Yes you can add it to the tank. Not nearly as effective, but effective nonetheless.

Fizzle
09-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Think ill just add the can i have to the tank then. Im not reay to start messin around with the engine myself heh

liquidracing
10-09-2008, 12:46 PM
for clarification: if adding to the intake, do i use deepcreep? or one of the others?
the only thing i've ever done is pour a half can of coke on battery terminals, drank the rest, filled it back up with water and poured it into the intake to the point of bogging, to "steam clean" the combustion chamber! :smt010 if i only knew then, 20 years ago, what i know now :mad:
aside from that, boat and bike engines can be winterized by spraying wd-40 at wot until the engine dies. then you wrap in plastic and put away for the winter.

Reason
10-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Seafoam or deep creep works, I have used both, I don't recommend drinking some half way either, but then again that's up to you :wink:

liquidracing
10-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Seafoam or deep creep works, I have used both, I don't recommend drinking some half way either, but then again that's up to you :wink:

unless you want to have this happen ------> :smt119

liquidracing
10-10-2008, 01:41 PM
just put 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 in the intake. all done at the same time, since i'm doing an oil change next weekend, and only have a half tank left. i thought the ratio would be good.
as i introduced the seafoam i did notice the idle to get rough and sounds like some misfire action.
as i got to the end of the seafoam, i let off the throttle and let the car suck the remaining amount. lucky for me, i ran out of seafoam right as the car died. :grin:
now, this was 5 minutes ago. can says start back up in five minutes, but, i think i should let it stay a half hour or so, clean deeper. any thoughts? you now have 22minutes to respond.

btw, lots of white smoke at the end of the drip.

decke48
10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
it wont hurt to leave it in any longer. maybe clean deeper

liquidracing
10-10-2008, 02:04 PM
it wont hurt to leave it in any longer. maybe clean deeper

that's a good thing too, 'cause i just got slammed with a few cotractor orders just now....about 10 minutes to end result.

liquidracing
10-10-2008, 02:43 PM
mmmmmmm......idk, i wanna say it did something spectacular, but, i think that's the kid in me getting jumpy! :smt026
on a real note; there was this lean misfire hesitation that is still there, of course, but, seems to be slightly lessened, noticably.
the engine "seems" more "spirited"<--the kid in me?
idle is definitely smoother, not that it wasn't smooth to begin with, but, we are our own worst critics, so we can tell a difference :grin:

Reason
10-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Change you plugs along with the oil, you may have fouled your plugs.

liquidracing
10-10-2008, 04:58 PM

you mean i have to buy MORE V-POWERS? :smt041

99SUS SFD
10-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I used some Seafoam today and put it in the PCV line. Didn't use the recommended 1/3 pint as I was hesitant to mess anything up. I used about an inch from the can and poured the rest into my gas tank. Not a whole lot of smoke when I let it sit for about 5-7 minutes but I didn't expect much either. We'll see what happens.

Reason
10-15-2008, 03:08 PM
We did )2edlines car, 1 bottle in the gas tank, most of another bottle in the vacuum hose in the TB. Removed EGR valve cleaned with deep creep and sprayed the holes. We smoked out my neighborhood with that shit. I NEVER seen it as bad as this smoke cloud was.

liquidracing
10-16-2008, 10:12 AM
We did )2edlines car, 1 bottle in the gas tank, most of another bottle in the vacuum hose in the TB. Removed EGR valve cleaned with deep creep and sprayed the holes. We smoked out my neighborhood with that shit. I NEVER seen it as bad as this smoke cloud was.

it is WAY cool how much smoke bellows out!

)2edline
10-16-2008, 11:57 AM
It was truly monstrous. My car was all stuffed up :roll:

99gtlimited
11-13-2008, 12:40 AM

from putting it in the oil or in the intake?

2.5GT
11-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Intake, I believe.

99gtlimited
11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
so anytime you seafoam your car you should change the plugs?

liquidracing
11-13-2008, 06:33 PM
so anytime you seafoam your car you should change the plugs?

si :grin:

99SUS SFD
11-13-2008, 10:20 PM
I dunno, I Sea Foamed mine and haven't had any reason to change plugs...I didn't use that much though.

decke48
11-13-2008, 10:27 PM
i dont see why you need to change plugs. used a whole can and didnt have any problems

liquidracing
11-18-2008, 04:33 PM
i dont see why you need to change plugs. used a whole can and didnt have any problems

they just say that you should. i wonder who this alleged "they" is? :neutral:

jockstar
01-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Has anyone tried it in the crankcase? I run Amsoil so I wouldn't but I'm curious.

jospgut
01-16-2010, 10:31 PM
hey i was reading all this about the seafoam, i was reading that can cause HD failure in the 2.5l. i have a 2.5 do you guys recomend do the seafoam? and which kind should i buy and where?

jospgut
01-18-2010, 06:03 PM
i now were and which kind but not shure to do it because of the HD!

jockstar
01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Just got finished seafoaming my car, did 1/3 in my PVC hose (and cleaned it as well). Major props to the post with the pictures made my life much easier. Put the rest in the gas tank. Can't wait to see the mileage improvment (if any).

d1giPhux
01-18-2010, 07:16 PM
jospgut : as long as you dont pour TOO much in at once.. you wont screw anything up. someone needs to be pushing on the gas pedal while you do it. Keep the car around 1000 rpms.. and then slowly drip it out of a bottle or something. I used a womans hair dye bottle.. it worked great. cheap $1 baby bottles.. and other such bottles will also work very good. You don't want to overdue it. It works great tho and wont damage anything!

jospgut
01-20-2010, 09:17 PM
good!! i was confused because i have new HG and i know how it feels to see your car overheating, scary!!. thank you so much!!!

chris_2.5gt
03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
So just to be clear this is poured INTO the pcv valve, using the hose to make it easier?
And does anyone know if Canadian Tire carries this?

Payback45
03-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Is the PCV the best place to put the seafoam?

Payback45
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I just put seafoam into the crank case, PCV and gas tank. How long do I wait before I start it up?

chris_2.5gt
03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
can anyone tell me where to get it in Canada?
As for the wait time from reading this post I have heard anywhere between 5 minutes and overnight.

JunkerXL
08-25-2010, 03:45 PM
i :smt007 seafoam. i seafoam every car i own over 80k i notice results everytime. the trick is this. i pour it directly into the booster line, slowly, until the desired amount is used and then cut it off, and wait 5 mins. then fire it up and drive it aggresivly, and legally :roll: for a few. depending on the car, the butt dyno confirms good results most of the time. afterwards, though u may need to change ur plugs. they can foul up good depending on the mileage and car. also, i use chemtool in my tank, rather than seafoam. its WAY cheaper and pretty strong stuff in it's own right. :grin: hope that helps

also, i dont know how long to leave it in the crankcase oil, but i have heard not to leave it in there too long. for crank case i usually use marvels mystery oil, u can run that stuff a while and not hurt most engines, and can help smooth them out a bit, never had a bad expereince with that stuff, though i would avoid putting it in ur ferrari :smt005

:smt020

jewbaru
08-25-2010, 05:41 PM
did mine yesterday, 1/3 of the can into te vacume line right on top of the intake manifold. shut her down, and let it sit. started her up a lil while later and blew all that shit outta there. i think i can feel the difference how bout u guys?

and fyi the first time you do this it can be a little scary lol.. smoke everywhere and the car misfired like a bastard. i used a spare piece of vacume line i had, connected one end to the port on the intake, and the other with a stepped reducer "t" fitting (really handy to have around btw, pretty versatile). i could use my thumb to control air flow and only suck up a little at a time plus where the tip is small, its already a controlled amouth.

the actual T fitting i used is at my school and ill grab a picture of it tomorrow but heres the general idea

heres a shitty drawing i made in paint, ill snag a real pic of the t fitting tomorrow

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2010/08/vacuumlinesucker-1.jpg

JunkerXL
08-25-2010, 06:25 PM
lol! oh yeah, it smokes like crazy, i figured that was understood, lol. if you have jittery neighbors, it might be better to warn them so they dont call the fire dpt. :lol:

the smoke means its working, just like clutches and electronics, right? :smt017

jewbaru
08-26-2010, 09:45 PM
With Captions:

When I did this, I took the tube off of the crankcase outlet, and put my funnel into the tube, and poured in there. My dad revved the engine for me. There's quite a lot of suction in that thing at 3k :shock:

Another thing I did as long as i had my manifold cover off and stuff, was I took the PCV valve out (19mm wrench) and cleaned it off, as it had a lot of gunk in it :? You could also replace it...

what on earth are all those wires and electrical tape for?

loganmossmusic
09-07-2010, 10:13 PM
So in my experience with the PCV valve, it did not flow in well, the best thing you can do is SEAFOAM SPRAY, put right into the throttle body, with the straw it comes with, tucked into the intake pipe. I put half a can in, worked good. It gave me a CEL, probably because it messed with the throttle plate, it also lubricated it. So just disconnect your battery after you drive it around aggressively but legally. But seriously, Seafoam Spray is the way to do it. For sure.

scubydu
09-08-2010, 09:06 AM
So I've used this recently on my Leggy (94k) and my Honda Odyssey (110k). Both 1/3 can into the intake, shut it down and wait, then start it up. Both smoked like ... welll, they didn't really smoke hardly at all. Any thoughts?

JunkerXL
09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
use more. :grin: milage is a tad low so might not get alot of smoke. 50/50. the reason you change the plugs? lots of reasons :)

1. prolly need to anyway.
2. when you 'foam the motor, they get alot of scuzz on them (technical term)
3. the bottle says so. (they do make seafoam for a living...)
4. why risk it? plugs are cheap and easy to change.

i use alot of the stuff, and have had no issues, ever. i do not put it in the oil though. im afraid of washing away the deposits that are holding my bottom end together, lol. sometimes a clean engine will die faster if it has not been clean its whole life. same things can also happen to auto transmissions. if you have not flushed the tranny in 100k miles, then clean it up real nice, there is a chance that you will washout the scuzz, and it will reveal damage and nothing will seal right in the valve body and then your trans doesn't work. this is controversial, but i have worked in auto service before, and i have seen it more than once. person "a" buys a nice higher milage car, and decides to give it "the works" and 5k later dead transmission.

anywho, when your seafoaming, its a good idea to clean the tb and intake after seafoaming, as the seafoam process tends to kick up intake sludge, so after you 'foam in the booster line, or where ever, use the 'foam spray and get the tb/intake :grin:

harrymaneuvers
09-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I did mind for the first time ever. The car has 218k miles on it. I only let it sit for the 5 minutes like the can said... but when I started it up... there was only white smoke...

I think I will just let it sit for a bit longer next time.

JunkerXL
09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
thats normal, does it feel a bit peppier on accl? :?:

Huffer
10-27-2010, 09:47 PM
BTW, as winter etc is coming soon, with the colder temps the neighbors are less likely to worry about the masses of white smoke...usually... heheh

JunkerXL
11-11-2010, 05:13 PM
depends on your mileage... :roll:

jewbaru
11-11-2010, 10:56 PM
With Captions:

what on earth are all those wires and electrical tape for?

so bump on this question. is that some sort of homemade ground kit or just a mess?

Baddog
12-30-2010, 06:19 AM
The PCV valve allows the seafoam by? I am confused on this. I did it through the brake booster last time.

So I unplug the bottom of the hose and let the engine idle or do I have someone rev it up to 3k or so to keep it from stalling? And fill slowly put in the sea foam through the hose?

Drakien
03-10-2011, 12:17 AM
I actually do it through the pcv, run half the bottle, then submerge the vacuum line until it kills the car, that way everything is well coated...Then wait 10-15minutes then start it back up.

bulldozer24
03-10-2011, 08:55 AM
It's not good on the engine when you kill it like that.

Drakien
03-13-2011, 08:55 AM
It's not good on the engine when you kill it like that.
Could you explain why?

harrymaneuvers
03-23-2011, 12:34 PM
From my understanding you can hydrolock your engine.

98outbackpdx
05-20-2011, 07:28 PM
just filled my tank with a lot of not very easy driving after putting seafoam in the tank. the car runs better and i got 21 mpg. that is the best i have ever gotten with this kind of driving.

harrymaneuvers
05-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Will be seafoaming the gas tank and putting it in the TB on the Girlfriends WRX wagon... it has 140k on it so I am expecting a lot of smoke.

98outbackpdx
06-03-2011, 10:35 PM
i asked my dealer about putting seafoam through the TB and the service advisor and one of their master techs said no do not put it though the TB, and to stick to just putting it in the tank. i did not get an explanation but figured it was probably not good.

Jk1
07-12-2011, 09:08 PM
is pcv valve in the same location for a 2.5 sohc?

harrymaneuvers
07-13-2011, 03:54 PM
I believe they are.

Jk1
07-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Just used the sea foam. Took the tube off and cleaned up the pcv valve a bit. Then turned the engine on with a screw driver in the throttle to keep it revved. The check engine light came on. I assume this is normal because the pcv valve was disconnected. I put about 1/3 in the pcv valve. poked a hole in the top of the seafoam to control the amount coming out. took forever using this technique! but i'd rather not put too much in.

then i put a little in the crankshaft and then the rest in the gas tank. after waiting about an hour i turned the engine on...only a little bit of white smoke came out. I was expecting alot of smoke. but not as much as those youtube videos. Did i not add enough seafoam?

hopefully the check engine light will turn off after driving it a little more

harrymaneuvers
07-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Hmmm... When you were letting it sip into the PCV vacuum did it eventually start smoking white out the tailpipe before you shut down the car?

I normally run it through the intake until it is starting to burn and smoke out the back... then I only let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Did you drive it around after it sat or just start it up and rev it some?

I normally drive it like I stole it after it sits and both my Leggy and my ladies 04 WRX wagon put up a pretty nice smoke screen.

Jk1
07-13-2011, 07:00 PM
it didn't smoke while i was putting it in. i put in a little less than 1/3 the bottle because of laziness and fear that i would put too much. after an hour i started the engine. Revved it for about 5 minutes. Then drove it around. A little smoke came out when i first turned the engine and when i first started driving

how many miles did you have on the 04 wrx wagon?

i have 78K. i was thinking either i didn't put enough or my engine is really clean! probably the former lol

anyone else have the check engine problem?

Wiscon_Mark
07-13-2011, 08:10 PM
It could be that your fuel system is nice and clean. I got so much smoke the landlord thought the place was on fire! But I had over 180k at the time.

Huffer
07-13-2011, 08:40 PM
You won't see much smoke if the system is already pretty clean. 75k is barely enough for a timing belt change and if the system has been tuned up properly since factory it'll be running pretty good.

legy the legacy
09-10-2011, 12:07 PM
i just sea foamed my legacy gave a real nice smoke show lol than i put a little bit in with my oil and the rest in my gas tank

d1giPhux
11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Bringing this back from the dead..

So, just bought some Subaru TOP ENGINE CLEANER, and it doesn't come in an aerosol bottle like most 'Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner' pics I have seen. Its basically a liquid like seafoam.

ANYWAYS.. I've seafoamed my car before and used the PCV valve. I didn't get much smoke, so I'm going to give it another go with the Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner this time around.

Now for my question:

Which vacuum port feeds all 4 cylinders best in order to clean carbon build up the best?

Which have people noticed the best results with? PCV valve? Brake Booster? EGR valve line?

Which would be the best to use?

I know my engine MUST have carbon build up, as it has 170k.. and this time I want it to work properly. I may just need to let it sit longer as well this time.

Wiscon_Mark
11-18-2011, 09:18 AM
PCV valve should do it, it feeds right into the middle of the intake manifold.

That's what I used at 190k miles, and it created TONS of smoke.

d1giPhux
11-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Nice.. thats what I used before I'm pretty sure. However, i seem to forget.. you pull the valve out first right? Or does it not even matter? I cant remember what I did.. and since I've pulled the PCV out so many times before.. i cant remember! :lol: :smt030

Wiscon_Mark
11-19-2011, 01:40 PM
I pulled the hose out of the crankcase vent and rotated it upwards to put the seafoam into it, left the valve intact. That way it'll do some cleaning on your valve, and you run less of a risk of too much going into the engine at lower RPMs (valve opens up with more vacuum). How much of an actual difference that makes, I don't know, but it makes it a lot easier to pour!

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/11/PCVValvePic-1.jpg

d1giPhux
11-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks.. did it this way. Still didn't get a lot of smoke 2nd time around.. guess my engine runs pretty clean =] First time i used seafoam, this time i used Subaru Top Engine Cleaner from the Maintenance kit SOA868V9340.

Kansei
02-05-2012, 02:14 AM
SUMMONING DEAD THREAD!!!!

i have a turbo engine and want to do this soon. BOV line work okay? or should i just do it through the inlet pipe?

krot84
02-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Do you guys know maybe an alternative for Seafoam ? Because It's not sold in Israel.

httrdd
02-05-2012, 08:34 AM
One of us can buy it and ship it to you I am sure. Let me know since shipping wont be cheap.

krot84
02-05-2012, 09:03 AM
I'd like one SeaFoam Motor Treatment can.
In ebay they ask for $30 at least for the shipment!
How much will it cost if some of you sent it to me ?

kimokalihi
02-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Probably the same. To ship one can across the country would probably cost at least $8 if not $10 depending on size of box.

krot84
02-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Can you check it out for me ?

kimokalihi
02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, USPS wants about $48. UPS wants $123. So those guys appear to be charging a pretty reasonable price.

kimokalihi
02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
You've got to have a similar product over there.

krot84
02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
You've got to have a similar product over there.
That's exactly what i asked:

Do you guys know maybe an alternative for Seafoam ? Because It's not sold in Israel.

Wiscon_Mark
02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, I'd say start reading up!

Sefoam is to be used in:
- The fuel system
- The oil
- The intake system

Follow those 3 criteria, and search around!

I don't know that there's any one product quite like it over here, and even if there was, you might not be able to find it there. I'm sure there's something for you though.

krot84
02-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Well, I'd say start reading up!

Sefoam is to be used in:
- The fuel system
- The oil
- The intake system

Follow those 3 criteria, and search around!

I don't know that there's any one product quite like it over here, and even if there was, you might not be able to find it there. I'm sure there's something for you though.

Mmm, krot84 has gone to do some learning :0
You can leave a message :)

Kansei
02-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Mmm, krot84 has gone to do some learning :0
You can leave a message :)

HAHA! I like it!

But seriously.... am I the only one trying to do this to a turboed engine?

kimokalihi
02-06-2012, 04:44 AM
Nope I just bought a couple cans. I'm doing all 3 places.

httrdd
02-06-2012, 07:32 AM
My bud says he has done it to his 05 Wrx and others have confirmed this.

Huffer
02-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Well, USPS wants about $48. UPS wants $123. So those guys appear to be charging a pretty reasonable price.

Seriously? I get a quote of US$17 via USPS flat rate priority mail to Israel. It doesn't matter though, because you can't ship it via anything other than land/sea freight. Seafoam is flammable, so no mail carrier from the USA is going to put this on an aircraft.

Krot84 - my suggestion is to find a similar product that matches these specifications:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/products/mo ... /msds.html (http://www.seafoamsales.com/products/motor-treatment/technical-information/msds.html)

Huffer
02-06-2012, 11:55 AM

It's safe for all gas engines. You should feed some in via your PCV line, drop some in your oil and then change your oil within 100miles.
You could also put it in the gas tank, and then make sure you change your fuel filter.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html

krot84
02-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Seriously? I get a quote of US$17 via USPS flat rate priority mail to Israel. It doesn't matter though, because you can't ship it via anything other than land/sea freight. Seafoam is flammable, so no mail carrier from the USA is going to put this on an aircraft.

Krot84 - my suggestion is to find a similar product that matches these specifications:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/products/mo ... /msds.html (http://www.seafoamsales.com/products/motor-treatment/technical-information/msds.html)
Thanks Huffer.
The MSDS really made it much easier, as dealing with MSDS it's my day job :)
However as i can see from the MSDS it's packing group II. I don't know the US regulations, but here in Israel the amount of hazardous material of hazard group 3 (Flamable liquid) in packing group II that is considered hazardous in transportation needs to be at least 500KG.
Maybe you can try contacting USPS in that matter if you have the time :wink:

Huffer
02-06-2012, 01:35 PM
^^ I just emailed USPS and asked them if they would accept a shipment of 1 bottle of Seafoam, and referred them to the MSDS information. If they reply yes, I'll let you know and we can arrange how you'd like to set this up. I don't mind helping a fella out. :)

krot84
02-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Even if they won't, thanks a lot!!

Huffer
02-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Ok so the email I got back from them says:
"After researching, I have found that you will need to contact the addressee to ensure or validate the acceptability of an item. The Postal Service does not determine which items are prohibited or restricted to any foreign destination."

So it sounds like all I have to do is declare what it is that is being sent, and get an address from you for the customs declaration. Send me a PM with your details and I'll let you know what the total cost is if you want to go ahead. It'll be purchase price of the Seafoam + postage. I won't charge you for my time.

kimokalihi
02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Well I don't know why it was so high when I got the estimate. Perhaps you chose a smaller box? I just chose the smallest one I figured it would fit in.

JunkerXL
02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
im prolly late to the seafoam party, but in a pinch i have used berrymans chemtool in the gas tank and in the pcv/intake, doubt i would ever use it in the oil though, that makes me nervous, since chemtool is outrageously aggressive at dissolving things :shock: . i have used mystery oil in the crankcase oil before, and that has done some fairly magical things, but i would research it more before putting it in a turbo engine or not, and how long to leave it in an engine. my buddy would use half a quart in his nissan maxima engine (VG30E) or sometimes a quart and it quieted his lifters and his engine never died, despite some amount of abuse. the mystery oil discussion is really a separate thread but i thought it worth mentioning :smt017

kimokalihi
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Just sucked about 8 or 9 oz of oil out of my engine and replaced it with a half can of sea foam. I would like to seafoam the intake but it's looking a bit difficult to do. The PCV valve is inconveniently located directly below the throttle body so in order to get to it (I bought a new valve as well) I will need to remove the intercooler, replace the valve and put a long hose on it and then install the intercooler again and do the sea foam. Then attempt to reinstall the crank case hose with the intercooler on.

Does anyone know if it's safe (or even effective) to pour sea foam in the intake before the turbo? There's a VERY easy to use nipple on my silicone intake.

First pic is the vacuum ports on the top of the manifold. There's 3 and they're all at the front so I don't think the rear runners would get their share if any and they're on the sides right by the runner so it could all go into the runner that it's closest too.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2012/02/IMG_20120206_163440-1.jpg

This is the nipple I would like to use but don't know if it would be safe or be as effective because it could pool in the inercooler or associated piping and also it would probably dilute it so maybe it won't be concentrated enough to work properly? I don't know.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2012/02/IMG_20120206_163449-1.jpg

Kansei
02-07-2012, 08:20 AM
thats why i was asking... and it has to be before the intercooler. i was thinking BOV vacuum line since its right there. i know someone has done it to my motor before. i just was the guy inside the car when he did it and it was a year or so ago so i want to do it again... i think it would be good for it to soak in the intercooler though to clean out any oil coating from blowby and such. i was going to do it then put a catch can on while it was soaking.

StatGSR
02-07-2012, 10:49 AM

nope....
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+seafoam+a+wrx

there are educational videos and everything!!!!

krot84
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I've found an alternative for seafoam it's STP Multipurpose Motor Treatment- Let me know what you think

Kansei
02-07-2012, 08:14 PM
that confirms exactly what i asked. thank you. I MUST COMPLETE MY MISSION!!!

kimokalihi
02-07-2012, 08:26 PM
I'd like to make note that I can clearly smell the sea foam when I've been driving the car and I stop. A little inside and a lot when I exit the car. The engine bay reeks of it. Does this mean I have a PCV system leak? Remember, I've only put it in the oil so far.

This is from the Sea Foam website:

After using Sea Foam®, do I need to change my oil?

The most frequently asked question about using Sea Foam® is as follows: “After using Sea Foam® in my oil, fuel, or through the vacuum line (to clean carbon from the combustion chamber) do I need to change my oil?” The short answer is: No you don’t have to change your oil after using Sea Foam® in any application.

When using Sea Foam® in your fuel or through the vacuum line for carbon cleaning your oil does not need to be changed. Using Sea Foam® in your oil, at 1 ½ ounces per quart, is a safe way to clean a crankcase, free up rings or free up sticky lifters as you drive. Sea Foam® is not a chemical engine flush and therefore, it will not damage internal engine components or plug the oil pick up screen. Sea Foam® is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives and is safe for long term cleaning or short term pre-service cleaning.

Sea Foam® is a blend of highly refined additive oils and is compatible with all motor oils including synthetics. It is safe for all internal engine components and will not affect any seals, gaskets or o-rings. Sea Foam® cleans oil deposits and varnish in your crankcase by safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. The longer Sea Foam® is in your oil the cleaner your crankcase will become. When adding Sea Foam® to clean oil, for long term maintenance cleaning, you must check your oil periodically for color and clarity, when your oil looks dirty change it. Because you added cleaning oil (Sea Foam®) to your oil you may have to change oil before the expected service interval.

When adding Sea Foam® to dirty oil before an oil change, for best results use 1 ½ ounces per quart of oil at least 100 miles before oil is changed.

I'm going to change it probably after 200-300 miles after oil change. On my next days off in a week. Oil is already black so I doubt I'll be able to gauge it on the dirtiness of the dipstick oil.

Wiscon_Mark
02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
That's great information, thanks for digging it up!

kimokalihi
02-08-2012, 11:13 AM
I pulled it off via the PCV valve after installing a new one. Old one turned out to be fine but I replaced it anyway. I had to remove the intercooler and replace the valve and then fit a hose to it and reinstall the intercooler. Poured in half a can and as I was doing so I noticed smoke coming up from the left side of the engine. Jacked the car up and found out my header collector to up pipe gasket is blown. Bolts are wicked tight and I could see nasty colored liquid seeping out of the bottom of it and turning to smoke. I'm very glad I sea foamed my engine! Never would have known as it was inaudible over the rest of the exhaust.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2012/02/IMG_20120208_065643-1.jpg

I am also glad I did this because I found out my PCV system was leaking terribly which is why I get an oil/fuel smell all the time. The hoses I used were tighter than a nun's cunt when I first put them on so I didn't think I needed clamps but now they were so loose they would have fallen off if there was more room for them to slide and oil was coming out the ends. Replaced the hose with what used to be either a coolant hose or a brake booster hose and put hose clamps on it. I'm a little worried about the hose holding up over time because it probably should have been a hose specifically for oil and fuel but at least it has good clamps now.

Took it for a spirited drive and there was the usual smoke show. Feel sorry for the people who I passed that had to drive through that cloud of smoke. I'll get that gasket replaced real soon and dump a can of sea foam in my tank next time I fill up and then change my oil. Should be running better than ever.

Garrison
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know if it's safe (or even effective) to pour sea foam in the intake before the turbo? There's a VERY easy to use nipple on my silicone intake.

Whatever you do, DO NOT do this ^^^

kimokalihi
02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I didn't think it was a good idea so I didn't do it. Mainly because it would pool and collect in the intercooler. Plus people have reported negative effects when using it to clean their throttle body on the inside so that might not be good.

Garrison
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
No dude, the turbo would compress it, heat it (twice over), and it would ignite somewhere in the intake track before it even gets into the engine. Seafoam is super flammable. Good choice to not do it.

Kansei
02-12-2012, 03:06 AM
are you sure about that? cause i was about to do that and figured i wouldnt have to worry and that it would help since i'm sure my intercooler is coated with oil inside either from the engine or bad seals in the turbo...

Garrison
02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
are you sure about that? cause i was about to do that and figured i wouldnt have to worry and that it would help since i'm sure my intercooler is coated with oil inside either from the engine or bad seals in the turbo...

Let me preface this by saying that I've used seafoam in 3 of my cars, and all of my bikes; but I have not ever poured it into my intake pre-turbo.
But I know how a turbo works.
And I know that adding heat to any petrochemical is potentially dangerous.
And I know that you have to hold the throttle at least slightly to keep the engine alive while pouring in the seafoam (which creates heat at the turbo).

Do I know for certain that it will ignite? No. It's just an educated guess.

kimokalihi
02-16-2012, 03:35 AM
No dude, the turbo would compress it, heat it (twice over), and it would ignite somewhere in the intake track before it even gets into the engine. Seafoam is super flammable. Good choice to not do it.

I don't think this is true. They make draw through carb turbo setups where fuel is introduced in the carb before the turbo and the carb sits on the turbo and it goes through the turbo directly into the manifold with no intercooler or piping. Also, the heat is not nearly hot enough to ignite fuel. Think about how hot it is in the cylinder and it still takes a spark to ignite it. Not only that but at idle the turbo isn't going to be compressing anything.

kimokalihi
02-16-2012, 03:46 AM
I didn't have to touch the throttle while doing my cars. That's only if you're dumping it in too fast. I still wouldn't put it in pre turbo simply because it would pool in various places in the intake tract and in the intercooler and I'm not sure of how true this is but some say that if you use it in your throttle body it will remove a substance around the throttle plate that causes idle issues but this could be a myth.

phi11
02-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Seafoam stadium is right down the street from my house.
I didn't know it was a local company!

Wiscon_Mark
02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
I didn't have to touch the throttle while doing my cars. That's only if you're dumping it in too fast.

I would still recommend opening up the throttle to get the valves opened up - they'll get more clean if they're running more wide open.

Dead91silvia
02-17-2012, 02:00 AM
How on earth is there 7 pages on SEAFOAM?! :smt017

kimokalihi
02-17-2012, 04:15 AM
It's good stuff. I changed the oil and went through a whole tank of gas after doing the intake and putting a can in my tank. My mileage was up from 22 to 24.8. Now, I did do a bit more freeway driving than normal so that could easily have been to blame but we'll see with this next tank.

Wiscon_Mark
02-17-2012, 06:58 PM

Your mom. That's why.

:smt005

Dead91silvia
02-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Your mom. That's why.

:smt005

Dont mess with mom! :smt066

Kansei
03-09-2012, 06:00 PM
did it to my car. 03 usdm ej205. its easy as hell. literally just me a can of seafoam and a drink straw.

went in before the turbo and had no issues except a little smoke from my turbo and i attribute that to it being pretty much dead anyways. used the bov vacuum line and had no issues. waited about 20 minutes and started right up. not too much smoke but of course it was only 20 min. but oh well. ran better for a little but then went right back to the way it was. sadly. oh well. guess that goes to show you my motors ready to die.

kimokalihi
03-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Hmmm. Seafoam says not to use the straw/hose method but instead use a funnel and very slowly pour it in. That way you can regulate how much goes in and avoid any hydrolock possibilities.

d1giPhux
03-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Weird people rave about this shit.. its never done anything for me. Guess my engine isn't carboned up enough with 180k. :(

Kansei
03-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Weird people rave about this shit.. its never done anything for me. Guess my engine isn't carboned up enough with 180k. :(

it didnt do anything really for me either. like i said. i think it just needs a rebuild.

Hmmm. Seafoam says not to use the straw/hose method but instead use a funnel and very slowly pour it in. That way you can regulate how much goes in and avoid any hydrolock possibilities.

hmm... i wonder why they say that? i was able to meter it great? especially since i used a clear straw.

kimokalihi
03-11-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm sure they say it because you could probably pull it off if you used a big enough hose through a big enough port and they don't want to be liable if you break something.

Kansei
03-12-2012, 12:52 AM
well i used a tiny hose with a tiny port so i guess i'm good. haha

peter
03-20-2012, 11:43 PM
So I tried helping a friend do this on his outback and I'm pretty sure we used the PCV line (consulted this thread to try and do it right) but when we poured it in the engine sounded like it was about to die so we backed off. When we tried pouring more in it just started filling up the funnel and wasn't draining. Would it have been better to have it revved slightly to get it flowing well? I did it on my legacy a couple years ago with no problems just can't remember what exactly we did

Wiscon_Mark
03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
You should be revving it constantly so the engine doesn't drown in seafoam and hydrolock. I'm pretty sure that's on the first page.

Kansei
03-22-2012, 02:02 PM
well after i used it my gas mileage actually went down from the usual 23 to 21 so idk. it didnt really do anything for me either. i'm not getting any more power or anything.

and that sounds like you might have put it through the valve. did you go through it or did you take it out first?

kimokalihi
03-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Should not make a difference whether you go through the valve or remove it. I took the valve off and replaced it with a new one and the old one was in great shape and then I put a hose over the PCV valve and a funnel and slowly poured it in.

Kansei
03-22-2012, 08:11 PM
well the valve could close and not allow flow. figured that was the problem you were having.

superu
10-27-2014, 01:37 PM
SeaFoamed this morning. 1 can (i.e. 1 pint) in fuel tank 1/2 can in crank case and the other half into intake via PCV.

I set a quick grip clamp on the throttle to rev it around 2K during the intake pouring.
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2014/10/201410272520111040-1.jpg

That's the hose pulled from below and spun around to pur into PCV side with greater section at higher than idle RPMs
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2014/10/201410272520111044-1.jpg

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2014/10/201410272520111150-1.jpg

No pix of the acrid blue smoke stage :smt028