PDA

View Full Version : Strange Transmission Problem - Wrong Fluid???

turbo54
02-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi everyone, first post!

So yeseterday I changed my trans fluid on my new (to me) 1995 Legacy wagon. Its got a manual, with 170k miles. I don't know what fluid was in it, but it looked really, really nice when it drained out, enough so that I felt bad I was bothering to change it. Its obvious the previous owner took very good care of the car.

I used 2 quarts Mobil 1 75/90, and 1.75 quarts Valvoline 75/90. As soon as I drove it, I could feel the shifter was considerably stiffer than it was. Once I drove it for a while and warmed the fluid, it felt smooth and good. After about 25 miles of driving on the highway, I drove around town and I noticed the clutch is slipping! It does it in 4th and 5th if you apply more than about 50% throttle. Its the original clutch, so I didn't think much about it, but then this morning it was extra cold, and I noticed the shifter was very stiff, and that when in NEUTRAL, when I let off the clutch, the engine would bog a bit, and the car would try to move forward just a little. The engine idles at 800 with the clutch in, and about 700 with it out!

It seems to me that when I coupled the crankshaft to the trans mainshaft, the drag of the gears going through the thick trans lube was able to transmit a bit of torque to the countershaft - sort of like a torque convertor. Is this normal???? It seems like I need much thinner trans lube!

Also, I might add that while I was working on the car, I made some new bushings for the shift linkage, because the originals were worn out and gone.

1-3-2-4
02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
I was told a good way to test if a clutch is good or not is to put it in 4th gear while driving and flooring it.. and it seems like your clutch is near End OF life.. will happen in the higher gear ranges until it slips in first gear.

turbo54
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the reply...

I konw my clutch is toast, I've ordered a new one. The "strange trans problem" I was referring to was the car wanting to creep forward a bit when I let out on the clutch in neutral.

I called the subi dealer and the tech told me its normal when its really cold. It was 5ยบ that morning. Still seems odd.

1-3-2-4
02-13-2008, 08:21 PM
yeah i've heard of some other Subaru owners who reported the same.